1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone in or near Massachusetts want to help me figure out whats wrong with my 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 PM
greenstar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in or near Massachusetts want to help me figure out whats wrong with my 7.3

Anyone in or near Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire or Rhode Island want to work on my truck for a day? Or know of anyone on this forum who will do side work for cash. I will obviously pay for the help. We could meet up someday, any day. I have a 2000 F450 7.3L and live in Boston. I could travel

I'm looking for someone who knows these trucks well inside and out, the technical stuff and diagnostics and who can troubleshoot the missing....power
or whatever is wrong with this truck!
I seem to have weak power when going up hills, etc..
and I just think that the truck needs to be gone through with AE and help boost the power. Something seems amiss.
We have done a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test with AE and everything "seems" to be ok, is what my friend says. But I need an expert who is really good with these trucks. My friend has a few 7.3's and about 10 6.0's (he and his brother own a landscaping company and he is the mechanic who maintains and does just about everything on these trucks, to keep them going,so he is quite good...) he's just not an expert" who can really dial it in, and read and decipher all the AE data and such.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions, or anyone want to get together for a day! I will get up very very early and be ready to meet you with my truck and all my tools whenever.

Oh, I can also barter for tree work. I have about 8 chainsaws onboard, and all of my climbing and pruning equipment. I have 19 years experience as a tree surgeon so no tree is too large. I am one of the best of the best when it comes to tree care and cutting trees, so if you need any trees taken down, or pruned or restored and preserved on the same day, we can work that in.
I am also a competent mechanic, and good at fixing things, so we can team up and each help eachother working on truck and trees, whichever works best. I just don't know this truck too well.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2014, 10:33 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a long list of things to start with and my phone went stupid! and deleted all of it!
Here's a quick recap of what I attempted to post....
Fuel pressure? Codes? Boost leaks? EBP sensor? ICP? Air filter? Oil condition? Last time the fuel filter was changed? What did AE say? Do you still have access to it? If you're competent we are confident, and can get you going again. Im shooting from the hip because you didn't give much to go off of.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:46 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
Tom (Tom)

AE with Ford bundle. Call or text at (614) 205-4230

Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 PM
greenstar
Senior User
Ok John, I have a bunch of pictures of all of the AE readings from probably all of those specs you asked for. At idle and under load. They're all on my phone and here in Picasa on my computer. Are they easy to post on here? I have never posted pictures on here before, and I know that sometimes it can be a pain. They are all about 2.0 and 2.1 MB in size each.
The EBP sensor is broken off and disconnected btw and have not yet called ford to order a replacement. I hope that is not robbing too much power. I thought it was mostly a fuel economy thing.

Tom, where are you located? I will call you a little later on today.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I am not Tom, I went on the BEST map and he is the closest person to your location. People on the BEST map may be able to provide help. As for me, I live in SOCAL so I won't be up your way anytime soon. It looks like Tom lives in the Northeast corner of Connecticut (closest to Mass that is listed)

Old 08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
greenstar
Senior User
Old 08-03-2014, 12:50 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Get that EBP sensor fixed!!! There's your power and mpg loss!! I bet that makes all the difference in the world to you in itself.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The backpressure sensor doesn't account for the low boost code. Check the hose from the manifold to the MAP sensor. Like go ahead and remove it and examine it for cracks/splits. They get brittle with age, and it's probably never been checked before. If it's cracked, it's just 1/4 fuel hose. Even if it isn't damaged, it wouldn't hurt to change it for the couple bucks it costs.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:08 PM
greenstar
Senior User
Dan, is that Tom's number? Do you know his abilities or his qualifications? Was he listed on here as a guy who is an "expert" or mechanic, or something?
Ben

Guys, I have about 10-12 legible pics of screen shots with ICP readings, ICP volt readings, Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure, Fuel Injector Pulse width, etc..

As far as fuel pressure:
We first cleaned out the fuel tank and the two screens inside at the pick-up (it was all pretty clean in there surprisingly according to my friend, no problem with liner at all. Screens were not bad either, so he recommended I just keep them in. Truck has a dump on it so it was easy to get to and he said I should just clean out every couple years maybe.)
We then cleaned out fuel bowl and replaced filter.
We also pulled out both fuel rail fittings, one on each head, and drilled out..per powerstrokehelp's youtube advice.
We then hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and went for a ride. Fuel pressure was right where it should be at wide open throttle I believe (and idle). My friend said it, and I also confirmed at the time via Tugly's postings. I forget exactly what the reading was. it was a few months ago...but I looked it up, and it seemed just right. We tested it a few times. I want to say it was just under 60 maybe?? He said it was spot on where it should be though, really didnt see any fluctuation or problem at all.
I haven't done any fuel pressure spring upgrade or anything yet...although I can't remember if that only applies to 6.0's or not, I forget if thats a cheap good necessary upgrade for our 7.3 trucks or not. i can't remember.
I haven't done any fuel line tank pick-up upgrade either, and don't know if its necessary either at the time. I have a lot of other stuff I should do first though I think if thats not a problem.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:19 PM
greenstar
Senior User
Btw, should I buy the EBP Sensor directly from Ford? I also REALLY need a flywheel pan cover for underneath the rear-main-seal and flywheel under truck...have been driving without one for a year now and hope this isn't TERRIBLE??

Originally Posted by Pikachu
The backpressure sensor doesn't account for the low boost code. Check the hose from the manifold to the MAP sensor. Like go ahead and remove it and examine it for cracks/splits. They get brittle with age, and it's probably never been checked before. If it's cracked, it's just 1/4 fuel hose. Even if it isn't damaged, it wouldn't hurt to change it for the couple bucks it costs.
The low boost code went away after the first scan and it never came back, I don't know why.
I wish there was an easy way I could check the boost pressure.
Is that hose a boost hose? Or are you talking about a 1/4" hose thats connected to the EBP ?? I'm still not totally familiar with these trucks enough and wish I knew more about the working of the diesel, etc.
I think we checked to make sure the metal quarter inch EBP tube was not plugged up at all. I've watched youtube videos on clearing it out with a piece of speedometer cable and a drill. We just used brake cleaner and compressed air i think and my friend told me it was fine.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
greenstar
Senior User
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I had a long list of things to start with and my phone went stupid! and deleted all of it!
Here's a quick recap of what I attempted to post....
Fuel pressure? Codes? Boost leaks? EBP sensor? ICP? Air filter? Oil condition? Last time the fuel filter was changed? What did AE say? Do you still have access to it? If you're competent we are confident, and can get you going again. Im shooting from the hip because you didn't give much to go off of.
Hi John, what do you think? oops...yes, I do have access.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Originally Posted by greenstar

I wish there was an easy way I could check the boost pressure.
Is that hose a boost hose? Or are you talking about a 1/4" hose thats connected to the EBP ??
If you look on top of the heater box on the passenger side there is your Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor on a metal bracket held in place on 3 studs. That rubber hose that runs between the MAP sensor and your intake manifold, aka spider, is your boost hose. You can monitor your boost with AE. If you use the PID Manifold Air Pressure, that gives you your boost + atmospheric pressure. If you use Manifold Pressure Gauge, it compensates for ambient air pressure and gives you how much boost you are making.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 AM
greenstar
Senior User
Originally Posted by greg_8507
If you look on top of the heater box on the passenger side there is your Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor on a metal bracket held in place on 3 studs. That rubber hose that runs between the MAP sensor and your intake manifold, aka spider, is your boost hose. You can monitor your boost with AE. If you use the PID Manifold Air Pressure, that gives you your boost + atmospheric pressure. If you use Manifold Pressure Gauge, it compensates for ambient air pressure and gives you how much boost you are making.
Hmmm...confusing??
I found the MAP sensor and hose/tube. Do I find the PID Manifold Air Pressure using AE?
Then what is a Manifold Pressure Gauge? and where do I get one? Thx

Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
PID I think stands for Parameter ID. That is what you are looking for on AE to read that sensor. Manifold Pressure Gauge is another PID on AE.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Hi Ben, it was good talking with you earlier. You didn't mention the low boost code, are you seeing any smoke out the tailpipe when you're on the throttle?

I'm not as well versed on the 7.3L as many in this forum, but I do have AE and am happy to lend a hand. If I can find some time we can go for a drive this weekend with the computer hooked up, I'm curious to see what you're showing for boost pressure.

Quick Reply: Anyone in or near Massachusetts want to help me figure out whats wrong with my 7.3