Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150

View Poll Results: Which 2015 F150 engine would you pick?
Naturally aspirated 3.5L V6 6 2.02%
5.0L V8 135 45.45%
2.7L EcoBoost V6 43 14.48%
3.5L EcoBoost V6 113 38.05%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?

Closed Thread
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Byooty's Avatar
Byooty Byooty is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne Au
Posts: 84
Byooty is starting off with a positive reputation.
All them years of offering machines with mega grunt......., now this, I cant believe that they offer such a small sized motor in a F150........
  #17  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM
j.grif's Avatar
j.grif j.grif is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: plymouth mi
Posts: 710
j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
All them years of offering machines with mega grunt......., now this, I cant believe that they offer such a small sized motor in a F150........
Have You driven one yet with the 3.5 ecoboost?, do they sell them down under? These engines make more power than any stock 460, 351/400, 351 Cleveland or Windsor! If you make this statement from the perspective of an old school car guy, I get it, but those days are gone unless you want old school trucks and don't mind working on them.
  #18  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Byooty's Avatar
Byooty Byooty is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne Au
Posts: 84
Byooty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
Have You driven one yet with the 3.5 ecoboost?, do they sell them down under? These engines make more power than any stock 460, 351/400, 351 Cleveland or Windsor! If you make this statement from the perspective of an old school car guy, I get it, but those days are gone unless you want old school trucks and don't mind working on them.
Yep, Im old school and never had to do much maintenance on a V8 apart from plugs oil filter etc.

Unfortunately they dont sell anything here anymore.... unless you want to pay an arm, leg and your first born (A$100,000+) to get one from an importer.

How do the small engines go when loaded up?
  #19  
Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 AM
j.grif's Avatar
j.grif j.grif is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: plymouth mi
Posts: 710
j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
Yep, Im old school and never had to do much maintenance on a V8 apart from plugs oil filter etc.

Unfortunately they dont sell anything here anymore.... unless you want to pay an arm, leg and your first born (A$100,000+) to get one from an importer.

How do the small engines go when loaded up?
I tow a 7000 pound travel trailer, add another 1500 pounds of the normal luggage and camping stuff, getting on the free way normally, if I am not careful, I will be doing 80 miles per hour and I am not pushing it, keeps up in traffic effortlessly, drinks petrol commensurately, no loads, gas mileage is good! I do not understand the disparity between the U.S. dollar and the Australian dollar and why hard durables are so much more expensive. Congrats on booting Julia Guilard!
  #20  
Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Byooty's Avatar
Byooty Byooty is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne Au
Posts: 84
Byooty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
I do not understand the disparity between the U.S. dollar and the Australian dollar and why hard durables are so much more expensive.
Join the club.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
Congrats on booting Julia Guilard!
Now we have a fascist dictator in her place, just as well that they banned guns here.
  #21  
Old 08-03-2014, 01:18 AM
j.grif's Avatar
j.grif j.grif is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: plymouth mi
Posts: 710
j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
Join the club.....


Now we have a fascist dictator in her place, just as well that they banned guns here.
Back to engines, what is a typical pickup truck in Australia, are they reworked USA trucks or are the Australia home grown, cubic inches and horsepower?
  #22  
Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Byooty's Avatar
Byooty Byooty is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne Au
Posts: 84
Byooty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
Back to engines, what is a typical pickup truck in Australia, are they reworked USA trucks or are the Australia home grown, cubic inches and horsepower?

The early 1988 f250 I owned prior to this 2002 one that I bought new came with a 5l fuel injected engine. (clarification, I bought the 2002 new, not the 1988)

Ford brought a series of purpose built left hand drive into the country in the 2000's, they were made in Mexico from memory, Ill have to check the compliance plate.
Ford have since stopped bringing them in and now it is back to the importers to bring them in and convert them to right hand drive.

The 2002 model came with a 7.3 or a 5.4l, Ive never had the need for the bigger engine thats why I chose the 5.4l

All trucks are American, in the early years they used to assemble some in Au.

Most petrol have either Windsor or Cleavland engines, dont know about the diesel ones..
  #23  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 AM
tseekins's Avatar
tseekins tseekins is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maine, Virginia
Posts: 26,008
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
The early 1988 f250 I owned prior to this 2002 one that I bought new came with a 5l fuel injected engine. (clarification, I bought the 2002 new, not the 1988)

Ford brought a series of purpose built left hand drive into the country in the 2000's, they were made in Mexico from memory, Ill have to check the compliance plate.
Ford have since stopped bringing them in and now it is back to the importers to bring them in and convert them to right hand drive.

The 2002 model came with a 7.3 or a 5.4l, Ive never had the need for the bigger engine thats why I chose the 5.4l

All trucks are American, in the early years they used to assemble some in Au.

Most petrol have either Windsor or Cleavland engines, dont know about the diesel ones..
Welcome! I know it it sucks to be a truck enthusiast in a place where American trucks are hard to come by. While V-8's will always have a place here, Ford has done an excellent job of reigniting a passion for the small gas turbos.

Ford's "lessons learned" folder is likely as thick as anyone's with all the mistakes and flops of the past. The ecoboost engines have had some teething issues but all in all they've been very successful and I attribute that to a lower buy in cost than diesel, gasoline engine maintenance, awesome power and great MPG's when geared correctly for the user's purpose.

I think this family of engines will continue to evolve and will be around for decades.
  #24  
Old 08-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Braham, MN
Posts: 22,686
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
I have a 3.5 twin turbo right now and love the engine, I have a max tow and need/want the torque and horsepower for towing my travel trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
I tow a 7000 pound travel trailer, add another 1500 pounds of the normal luggage and camping stuff, getting on the free way normally, if I am not careful, I will be doing 80 miles per hour and I am not pushing it, keeps up in traffic effortlessly, drinks petrol commensurately, no loads, gas mileage is good!
Yep, definitely sounds like you need more power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byooty
How do the small engines go when loaded up?
Judge for yourself, watch the videos:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-hd-video.html

My little 3.5L EcoBoost was the fastest up the hill last year with a 15,000 lb trailer. Faster than the 6.2L V8 or 6.8L V10 powered trucks that were there, and roughly equal to the 6.0L diesel truck. Of course some of that was because I was a little lighter than the others, but we did my truck no favors. We waited to run until the hottest part of the day, and there were four adults in the cab.
  #25  
Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 AM
FORD COASTIE's Avatar
FORD COASTIE FORD COASTIE is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 1,103
FORD COASTIE is a name known to allFORD COASTIE is a name known to allFORD COASTIE is a name known to allFORD COASTIE is a name known to allFORD COASTIE is a name known to allFORD COASTIE is a name known to all
I'm thinking of the 3.5 for my next truck, but will look at the 2.7 before making a decision. I'm planning to buy a new truck in 2 years.
  #26  
Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Frdtrkrul Frdtrkrul is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Prior Lake, MN
Posts: 985
Frdtrkrul has a good reputation on FTE.Frdtrkrul has a good reputation on FTE.Frdtrkrul has a good reputation on FTE.
There is one thing FoMoCo is doing right. From what I have heard since they are putting all of their chips into EcoBoost any part that goes bad on it prematurely and is replaced under warranty, gets shipped back to Ford and is reviewed by the engineers to see what caused it to fail and to make revision parts. So hopefully with that said, the second generation of EcoBoost should be much better.
  #27  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Byooty's Avatar
Byooty Byooty is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne Au
Posts: 84
Byooty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not that I have much choice, but Ill stick with the V8 thanks.....
  #28  
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 AM
j.grif's Avatar
j.grif j.grif is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: plymouth mi
Posts: 710
j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.j.grif has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
Not that I have much choice, but Ill stick with the V8 thanks.....
There are rumors of a v8 version of the Ecoboost engines, I think that would be a hoot! Stay in touch Byooty!
  #29  
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
RigTrash601's Avatar
RigTrash601 RigTrash601 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hattiesburg, Ms.
Posts: 4,589
RigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputation
Given the stated choices, the 5.0L, I love the current EB, but there is just something about the soundtrack of that V8,(completely juvenile, I know) and the performance and efficiency numbers aren't that far apart. That being said, I wouldn't mind any of the New engine line up except the naturally aspirated V6. Nothing wrong with it, just personal preference.
  #30  
Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
msalyer msalyer is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 408
msalyer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.msalyer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I chose the 5.0. I love my current truck with the V8. It tows great and I'm getting a solid 18+ mpg in non-towing average. That is a full 5 mpg's better than any truck I have owned before.
 
 
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question of the Week: Which 2018 F150 engine for you? Patrick R. 2015+ F150 30 03-29-2017 09:55 AM
F-150: Aluminum Ford Trucks Official Ford Forum : Ask an Engineer 18 08-12-2016 06:10 PM
What side steps to choose for a 2015 F150? carid Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys 2 08-13-2015 06:04 AM
Question of the Week: New Raptor or New Lightning? Patrick R. 2017 Ford SVT F150 Raptor 10 08-08-2015 08:54 PM
Question of the Week: Should Ford build an F150-based Bronco? Patrick R. 2015+ F150 80 07-09-2015 11:38 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send