2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Which 2015 F150 engine would you pick?
Naturally aspirated 3.5L V6
2.02%
5.0L V8
45.45%
2.7L EcoBoost V6
14.48%
3.5L EcoBoost V6
38.05%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
^ ?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
The ecoboost engines are very different than diesels and the turbos operate are very different as well. I stopped reading there because to me your opinion lost so much value from the beginning.

I intended to stop there and I noticed you addressed my "free" issue where we may fundamentally disagree. I offered to let you come to my house when you are not getting paid to work and see if your "free time" would be "free" painting my house. I could paint it myself, but my painter is so good and so fast, I pay him $40/hr. I look at it that I can go do something else and make more than I would make painting. Many people don't count their labor and I don't know why. Maybe it is reality tv: When they are done buying a storage unit and flipping a house, they always rattle off some inflated number about how much they made. It doesn't include the cost of the store, the cost of gas to get there, there time or any other actual expenses.

If a mechanic changes my turbos and charges me $300 and I get a warranty, it cost me $300 + parts. If I do it and save $400 (including lower parts costs), I don't look at it like I saved $400 because I now have to warranty the labor. The fact is that some parts to fail and that risk costs money. The other fact is that I am a decent mechanic and a decent painter. However, I don't do it everyday so it takes me longer and I don't have the daily experience of how to do every job so I have a larger risk of making a mistake and I have and it cost a lot more to fix then. No, my labor is not free and neither is yours.
You know what, pal, I'm glad to let you live your life the way you do. A turbo is a turbo. It uses exhaust gasses to spin a turbine which ultimately forces a higher volume of air into the engine, which, when combined with more fuel, produces more power. Sure, there are variations, which adjust the vane angle, or utilize twin wheels, etc...but they all do the same thing. Gas or diesel.

I explained the difference between EcoBoost and diesel. Lighter constructed engine due to lower compression ratio. As was already explained, we know a diesel is compression ignition and gas engines are spark ignition (except some Mercedes prototype engines which can run gasoline compression ignition part time). We know diesel oil contains more energy per unit than gasoline, but there are tradeoffs which make gasoline a better choice in many applications.

If you have plenty of cash - sure, hire everything out. I'm not here to tell you what to do. The point is, even with relatively basic mechanical skills, you can replace the turbos on your EcoBoost truck yourself, which keeps the cost down. I'm surprised for a guy like you who doesn't mind paying $40/hr to have someone paint his house that he's whining about how an EcoBoost engine is no good because he might have to replace the turbos in 10 years. I figured you'd want the paint on your house to last at least 50 years.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:58 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I stopped reading when you called me a "troll". I don't know what that means. It must be an ugly guy, under a bridge demanding payment to cross a bridge he built or a guy than honestly expresses and defends his opinion.
I think you know what it means sir, you're no dummy. But in case you don't, enjoy this little read, I did.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...SFxq8w-suTik4Q

Old 04-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks to me like this thread is getting to be more and more about personalities and philosophies than trucks.

Why can't we all just get along?

Old 04-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Nearly Normal Mike
Looks to me like this thread is getting to be more and more about personalities and philosophies than trucks.

Amen, brother! I am not reading the rants. I have a side, but don't want to participate and am close to unsubscribing.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:24 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
You know what, pal, I'm glad to let you live your life the way you do. A turbo is a turbo. It uses exhaust gasses to spin a turbine which ultimately forces a higher volume of air into the engine, which, when combined with more fuel, produces more power. Sure, there are variations, which adjust the vane angle, or utilize twin wheels, etc...but they all do the same thing. Gas or diesel.

I don't like to insert in other posts because it can be confusing. But since you are all over the place, I will. You might want to read up on turbos and the differences between gas and diesels. You can google this and many great articles are out there. Bottom line--They do the same thing, but very differently. That is why turbos are so popular in diesels and keep getting shelved for gas engines where they don't save gas and cause problems that have yet to be solved. If I need the power of a diesel, I'm getting a diesel and for less than an ecoboost. Do you want to run the numbers for what the average ecoboost is selling for and what I can get a diesel for? You are making a moot point on the extra cost.

I explained the difference between EcoBoost and diesel. Lighter constructed engine due to lower compression ratio. As was already explained, we know a diesel is compression ignition and gas engines are spark ignition (except some Mercedes prototype engines which can run gasoline compression ignition part time). We know diesel oil contains more energy per unit than gasoline, but there are tradeoffs which make gasoline a better choice in many applications.

If you have plenty of cash - sure, hire everything out. I'm not here to tell you what to do. The point is, even with relatively basic mechanical skills, you can replace the turbos on your EcoBoost truck yourself, which keeps the cost down. I'm surprised for a guy like you who doesn't mind paying $40/hr to have someone paint his house that he's whining about how an EcoBoost engine is no good because he might have to replace the turbos in 10 years. I figured you'd want the paint on your house to last at least 50 years.

I didn't say I had "plenty of cash". I said I hire professionals because it actually cost less. I make more doing what I excel at and make money off the labor of others who are more productive. It is really sad that either I didn't communicate that well or that you are not listening. My sense is that you think a lunch that someone else paid for is free. I don't see it that way. Nor do I see my time, which I value, as "free" either. I hope you will consider that because I offered to use your free labor and have not gotten a reply.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nearly Normal Mike

It is still the same basic arguments:

1. My ecoboost tows like a diesel. I say it doesn't and if you want a diesel get one.

2. I am saving so much gas with my ecoboost. I don't think you are and it is pretty well documented

3. My main issue is reliability and no one can produce squat to refute that the ecoboost is #1 in reliability issues.

4. Turbo gas and turbo diesel are apples and oranges and maybe not even that; apples and oranges are both fruit. Gas and diesel are both fuels, but the turbos are incorporated very differently.

For that you would have me banned???????

The truth really does hurt. If people knew more about it, more 5.0's and diesels would be sold. The ecoboost future looks bleak to me, but I get why Ford is clinging to their cash cow.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:38 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
One other thing. I think Ford manipulates these Forums and uses them to promote the Ecoboost. It really does make sense.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
3. My main issue is reliability and no one can produce squat to refute that the ecoboost is #1 in reliability issues.
My main issue is that you make assertions like this without presenting fact. Trying to argue that an online forum is a reliable statistical sample is laughable. You haven't claimed any source when asked, so I'm assuming you are making inferences from what you read online. Am I wrong? PLEASE prove me that way and show me some data.

I'm here to learn, and I'm very curious to see some hard numbers.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
My main issue is that you make assertions like this without presenting fact. Trying to argue that an online forum is a reliable statistical sample is laughable. You haven't claimed any source when asked, so I'm assuming you are making inferences from what you read online. Am I wrong? PLEASE prove me that way and show me some data.

I'm here to learn, and I'm very curious to see some hard numbers.

Hi Tom,

That point has been made many times. When I point out that Consumer Reports wrote that ecoboost is below average in reliability, people discredit them. The truth is that Ford is not going to release the data and neither is any Dealership. It seems to me that any reasonable person knows and it is well documented that ecoboost has had problems and most of us know what they are.

So instead of demanding that I produce the number to prove that ecoboost is dead last in the f150 line for reliability, let me turn that around; please please produce the numbers for warranty work on all the different models and let's compare, settling this issue once and for all.

I don't even want to include silly stuff like electronics. I just want turbo, CAC, valve problems, and other issues that relate to the power plants. Transmission, suspension, computers....who cares?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Hi Tom,

That point has been made many times. When I point out that Consumer Reports wrote that ecoboost is below average in reliability, people discredit them. The truth is that Ford is not going to release the data and neither is any Dealership. It seems to me that any reasonable person knows and it is well documented that ecoboost has had problems and most of us know what they are.

So instead of demanding that I produce the number to prove that ecoboost is dead last in the f150 line for reliability, let me turn that around; please please produce the numbers for warranty work on all the different models and let's compare, settling this issue once and for all.

I don't even want to include silly stuff like electronics. I just want turbo, CAC, valve problems, and other issues that relate to the power plants. Transmission, suspension, computers....who cares?
I said I'm staying out of this, but I cannot. I want FTE to be seen as a place that states fact and not rumor. But the bit about Consumer Reports is just wrong. I happened to be logged onto CR and just took this screen shot. And if your eyes can't quite see the stellar reliability rating and the fact that the rating is for the 3.5L Ecoboost then see the closeup below. And note the rating for electronics.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:21 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts

I don't pretend to have any good data on the subject, and I think Gary covered the Consumer Reports claim very well. I don't think you understand my point here. I'm NOT trying to say that the EcoBoost is a perfect design. I AM trying to get an understanding of why you think it's such a bad design. I don't think it's either.

Of course there are more things to go wrong on an EcoBoost engine, that's just common sense. The tired argument about moving parts of a V8 compared to a V6 has always been silly to me. I think it's been an outstanding engine given the complexity and relatively new technology in use. There's more to break, but I haven't seen any information to indicate that this is a real problem. My freaking Prius has lots of expen$ive components that can break, but over a decade's worth of history has demonstrated that this hasn't been an issue.

I really think you're bashing here without cause. The freshly discredited "fact" about Consumer Reports is a good indicator. You seem to care more about perceptions and opinion than you do fact. I welcome you to prove me wrong.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
RRRSkinner, go away. You've been pointed to AutoWeek articles, JD Powers Ratings along with other magazine articles. You've also heard from many happy customers as well as pointed to links of used car searches that all showed good running Ecoboost vehicles. You choose to ignore flat out ignore anything that you don't agree with. Remember Selective Perception? As Tom has pointed out you have yet to cite one fact to backup any of your statements.

I don't have a Consumer Reports login so I can only find public information. Before you leave here are some consumer reports articles for you to ignore.
2015 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 2.7-liter towing capacity - Consumer Reports News
2015 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Engine Shootout ? Consumer Reports
Consumer Reports: F-150 EcoBoost beats V8 for towing, not efficiency

Old 04-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
RRRSkinner, go away. You've been pointed to AutoWeek articles, JD Powers Ratings along with other magazine articles. You've also heard from many happy customers as well as pointed to links of used car searches that all showed good running Ecoboost vehicles. You choose to ignore flat out ignore anything that you don't agree with. Remember Selective Perception? As Tom has pointed out you have yet to cite one fact to backup any of your statements.

I don't have a Consumer Reports login so I can only find public information. Before you leave here are some consumer reports articles for you to ignore.
Trying to turn this conversation to something positive, I really wish Consumer Reports had finished their testing on the 2015 F150 quite some time ago. Not since we bought an Audi 100 LS in 1976 have I purchased a vehicle w/o CR's guidance. (Everything they said could go wrong on the Audi did go wrong, so I became a believer.) So, I REALLY wanted their report to come in on the 2015 F150 before I ordered. However, I ran out of time. On the one hand the use of the truck to pull the boat was looming. On the other, my wife said "Do it!" so I didn't dare wait.

But, based on the above data points from CR, meaning the extremely good reliability for the previous F150's, inc the 3.5L Ecoboost, and the first drive and towing reports on the 2015, I bit the bullet and ordered my truck. And, with the exception of my subsequent dithering over whether I should have gone with the 2.7L vs the 3.5L, I am sure I did the right thing. And, on the engine choice, I really want the reserve towing/hauling capacity the 3.5 gives me over the 2.7, so am pretty sure I did the right thing there.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390

I've read most of it already and I am not going to read it again. You can find what you want to find. However, it is a well documented article that the Ecoboost was below average in reliability. Everyone knows about all the problems. So quit trying to prove otherwise. With that said, it may be the case that Ecoboost is no longer below average. It is just very disappointing that it ever was.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Which 2015 Ford F150 Engine Would You Pick?