Sponsored by:

What is a This?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 AM
JohnInCanada
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a This?

What is this that hangs from the bottom of the truck?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Think of it like a harmonic balancer is to a engine, that thing is to your EX.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
To bring back an old post of mine.....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12852305

Originally Posted by khadma
That was developed at Area 51.
It is a government tracking device to
Track oversized SUVs, corelating these trucks
To the demise of the ozone layer.
From some of the other threads Scott linked to in his post. Let the fun begin...again:

Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Here goes the jokes again.
Originally Posted by rikosintie
It's a government mandated "roll over prevention" counter weight. The NHTSA felt that a lot of Excursion owners would install lift kits, raising the CG and the possibility of a roll over.
Michael
Originally Posted by aklim
Look at it carefully. It increases the drag coefficient of the truck. That makes it use more fuel. Big oil doesn't want you to cut back on fuel usage so they bribed Ford to put it in. Also, when the CIA or FBI wants to track you, they will remove it and install one of their own that looks like yours but has a transmitter to pinpoint your position, record your conversations and figure out your underwear size if you wear underwear or if you are cleanly shaven "down there".
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
Tracing device. Often used by the CIA or FBI.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Originally Posted by housedad
Hey, I could be wrong...

For all I know it could be part of a reproductive organ.

It's in about the right place just in front and between the rear wheels.............
Originally Posted by BQQMER
You Guys are all wrong, Thats the field damping generator for the Flux Capacitor.
Originally Posted by DaMole
Its what makes time travel possible. Get her on up to 88 MPH and look above and behind the passenger seat and under the truck to see if any lights are flashing.
Originally Posted by Antelope V-10
Is it heavy? There's that word again, heavy. Is there something wrong........
Originally Posted by BQQMER
I always wondered why it was necessary that my two alternators make 1.1 gigawatts of electricity, I've never had it over 88 mph but theres a weird light comming from under the truck when I get close.
Originally Posted by UrbanXX
My guess is:
Their anti-tip over counter weights to keep people from sneaking up on your X when its asleep and tipping it over. You know like tipping cows over.
Originally Posted by wpnaes
The only factory vehicle to come stock with truk nutz. They work pretty good as rock catchers too.
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I assumed it was to ensure the death of anyone who tried to lay down in front of you as you were running them over....
Can you tell we answer this question all the time?

Stewart

Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
You should have 2 of 'em, Ford wanted to be anatomically correct...

Old 08-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Its a patch to a problem that would have cost money and time to fix.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM
JohnInCanada
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are freaking hilarious! I've learned 2 things today...

1. Y'all need to get out more. *wink*
2. Nobody knows what that is.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It's there to keep the X from rolling over, gotta keep that center of gravity low

Old 08-03-2014, 02:41 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The real answer;

Ford decided to have the sliding coupling for the driveline outside of the tailhousing of the T-case instead of the more common yoke that is lighter and fits inside of the tailhousing so it created more weight, mass, and another joint which created vibration problems so in an attempt to control it they tightened up the specs on the sliding coupling spline clearances which caused binding in some cases but didn't cure the vibration problem completely so they added the weights as vibration dampers.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:26 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by EXv10
Ford decided to have the sliding coupling for the driveline outside of the tailhousing of the transmission instead of the more common yoke that is lighter and fits inside of the tailhousing so it created more weight, mass, and another joint which created vibration problems so in an attempt to control it they tightened up the specs on the sliding coupling spline clearances which caused binding in some cases but didn't cure the vibration problem completely so they added the weights as vibration dampers.
Say what?

I'm not grasping what you are referring to. The spinned out put shaft on the trans? The yoke on the back of the Tcase? Or?

Old 08-03-2014, 04:39 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Say what?

I'm not grasping what you are referring to. The spinned out put shaft on the trans? The yoke on the back of the Tcase? Or?
I should have said where it goes into the back of the T-case. You know how usually there is a yoke that slides into the rear of the transmission and there is just a bushing in the tailhousing? I don't know what others have done here (Chevy etc), and I could be wrong altogether.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Well Ford has done them either way. They have had bolt on yokes/flanges for years without the funny hanging thing on the crossmember. I think in heavier rigs (3/4 ton up) they have always used flanges/bolt on yokes. In the half ton rigs they have used the slip yokes in the back of the cases. Not sure if they still do or not.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Well Ford has done them either way. They have had bolt on yokes/flanges for years without the funny hanging thing on the crossmember. I think in heavier rigs (3/4 ton up) they have always used flanges/bolt on yokes. In the half ton rigs they have used the slip yokes in the back of the cases. Not sure if they still do or not.
I know there was never a problem with the yokes that went into the tail housing which has been the norm since day one, other than an occasional bushing that wore out causing a vibration, and the sticking splines were unheard of.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 PM
superdave02f552
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I like the bolt on flange on the rear because if you break the shaft or a joint unbolt that sucker an drive home in 4x4 and no fluid loss

Old 08-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by superdave02f552
Personally I like the bolt on flange on the rear because if you break the shaft or a joint unbolt that sucker an drive home.
I tried that tonight and blew my engine... thanks for the "tip" hoss. For anyone out there with a 2wd don't unbolt the driveshaft and just floor it hoping to go home. After about 9 minutes of redlining it the motor caught fire and I had to walk home. Anyone know of a cheap low mileage X for sale?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts

Quick Reply: What is a This?