Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 F150 (First Truck)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:08 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the project still goes on...

Lately I've been MIA here! Between school and football and the South's crazy winter weather (cold and snowy in Feb) I barely got any work done to the truck! But now with spring break here and 70-80 degrees she is looking like a truck again! It has the "patched quilt" paint job as my momma called it, eventually a paint job will happen. But I will need new tires, and still need a d/s door and some rear brake lines (shoes as well). Plus it doesn't look the worst my dad says it builds character!

Ahaha but as for plans other than what I just listed, I plan on keeping the beauty ring and center hubs chrome, but I think I'm going to paint the wheel itself gloss black. Opinions? Also due to the brush guard having a little rust, I think I'll do that in gloss black as well; if not in bedliner! Any opinions or ideas are invited! Thanks y'all

Old 03-26-2015, 02:21 PM
1995F150XLT4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '95 is rocking the "quilt" paint job as well. As for wheels, comes down to personal preference but I would keep the wheels how they look now

Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My front bumper is bedlined and it lasts better especially as many things as I hit but I painted my wheels black with 4 coats of high gloss metallic black and cleared which has also held up great so it's your choice

Old 03-29-2015, 12:23 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
I think I'm gonna either go with the 2H (burgundy) or some type of red! But for now, the quilt is growing on me

Looks good man! Did you paint your grill too? I've been following your build for a while!!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:48 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
The Build lives on!

Well I know its been a month or two since a post on here, I sometimes get backed up and forget to update! But I have now (for the first time since I've had the truck) all rust-free panels! I picked up a set of 92-96 doors (wanted the mirror upgrade) for $60 at the JY! They're white, and I'm thinking when I do get it painted, I'll go with white for the whole truck. Just easier bc I won't have to paint the inside of the doors. But that is down the road when funds become accessible! First big thing for the truck will be tires.... 31x10.5 Cooper Mudclaws will be put on for $140 a corner

AS far as things done since last update:
-painted wheels
-painted step on rear bumper
-hooked up e-brake cables
-(as of right now) drivers door replaced

I do have a problem though, as I have every ground hooked up and all the dash lights, horn, 4x4 indicator, cab lights, etc. turn on, but the truck won't even attempt to crank. Its weird... I need to try and jump the starter solenoid/relay (on p/s fender) to see if it'll crank. I haven't yet because of no battery in the truck, so I have to transfer it from the highlander over and I'm just too lazy haha!

But here are some pictures and if y'all have any ideas or tips or any type of comments feel free to leave them!!!!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:58 PM
fnfast88
Senior User
Wow that truck is in good shape. By the way what did you do with the cab wing?

Old 05-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Brettboat
Senior User
Throw that thing away. You'll spend more in body work trying to fix all that yankee rust than the thing is worth. Go south, they're $2000-4000 and a dime a dozen and no rust.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:50 PM
michaelleiterman
Senior User
Originally Posted by fnfast88
Wow that truck is in good shape. By the way what did you do with the cab wing?
Well, it is now! But thanks! Its been a lot of work, but a lot of good lessons and good times (and ****ty) were had working on it. As for the cab wing.... after a month on Craigslist, it went to the landfill in the weekly pickup. I didn't know of any type of other online places to list it sadly

Originally Posted by Brettboat
Throw that thing away. You'll spend more in body work trying to fix all that yankee rust than the thing is worth. Go south, they're $2000-4000 and a dime a dozen and no rust.
Well opinions are everything... It was my grandfathers truck so I wasn't going to just get rid of it. And so far, with all the body panels, brand new brakes, starter, fuel pump/lines and soon to be new tires (plus all the other little things I've done) I'll only have just south of 2 grand into it... Sure I'll need paint eventually, but for the 4 grand I'll probably have into it in the "end", I'm much happier knowing I built the truck up and put my own work into it, learning how to and getting to work with my dad too. I appreciate your comment but I'm not into that negative state of mind of getting rid of it... No project is ever "too far gone", with the right work it can all be fixed, especially if there's a family connection to it

Old 05-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Cdavis9
Senior User
I just read through your whole thread and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad you decided to fix it up. To me my first truck will always have some sort of value to me. I'm trying to restore my 93 and this thread will be very helpful to me as I have been considering a cab swap. My truck is only 2wd so I have a 91 f250 frame I'm going to drop my body onto. The cab is the last thing I have to replace because I bought a rust free bed and yes it needed body work but you got yours for a steal! I replaced my fenders with cheap replacements. I'm only 18 and had only a summer job that paid less than 1000 for a whole summer so I had to make due. I drive my truck everyday and can't really see myself driving anything else. I'm going to be sad when the day comes that I have to take it off the road to swap it onto the f250 frame. But it'll be worth it in the end. I'm glad you kept up with this thread and I'll be using it for awhile
Great looking truck can't wait for you to finish it.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Brettboat
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cdavis9
I just read through your whole thread and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad you decided to fix it up. To me my first truck will always have some sort of value to me. I'm trying to restore my 93 and this thread will be very helpful to me as I have been considering a cab swap. My truck is only 2wd so I have a 91 f250 frame I'm going to drop my body onto. The cab is the last thing I have to replace because I bought a rust free bed and yes it needed body work but you got yours for a steal! I replaced my fenders with cheap replacements. I'm only 18 and had only a summer job that paid less than 1000 for a whole summer so I had to make due. I drive my truck everyday and can't really see myself driving anything else. I'm going to be sad when the day comes that I have to take it off the road to swap it onto the f250 frame. But it'll be worth it in the end. I'm glad you kept up with this thread and I'll be using it for awhile
Great looking truck can't wait for you to finish it.
You'll end up wanting something else. I said the same thing about my standard cab, 94 f150. 5 speed, 4x4, short bed. It was a cool little truck. But my F250 crewcab is bigger, nicer, faster, better mileage and more reliable. Driving a 500RWHP old body style powerstroke will put a smile on your face every day.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:19 AM
fnfast88
Senior User
Ohh man I have been looking for one forever. The new ones are cheep as all get out. I want one that's 10 or more years old.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking better and better. If you get the chance I would take the mechanicisms (if they work good) out of your old doors and put them in these doors. The 92-96 doors have cables that stretch where as the 87-91s don't. Personally on both my 95 and 92 F250 I am going to be doing that with my extra doors in the yard.
Trav

Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 PM
TrueBlue02
Junior User
Cool build. You will appreciate it more after doing the work yourself.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Cdavis9
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brettboat
You'll end up wanting something else. I said the same thing about my standard cab, 94 f150. 5 speed, 4x4, short bed. It was a cool little truck. But my F250 crewcab is bigger, nicer, faster, better mileage and more reliable. Driving a 500RWHP old body style powerstroke will put a smile on your face every day.
I may get tired of it but I will always keep it and eventually I'd like to get a powerstroke CCLB

Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM
F150'94
Senior User
Originally Posted by michaelleiterman
....Well opinions are everything... It was my grandfathers truck so I wasn't going to just get rid of it. And so far, with all the body panels, brand new brakes, starter, fuel pump/lines and soon to be new tires (plus all the other little things I've done) I'll only have just south of 2 grand into it... Sure I'll need paint eventually, but for the 4 grand I'll probably have into it in the "end", I'm much happier knowing I built the truck up and put my own work into it, learning how to and getting to work with my dad too. I appreciate your comment but I'm not into that negative state of mind of getting rid of it... No project is ever "too far gone", with the right work it can all be fixed, especially if there's a family connection to it

Great quote and attitude. Isn't this what truck/car guys/gals are all about, bringing heirlooms back to life(especially family ones), tinkering, and working with family??? I still give my dad a hard time for getting rid of his mid-70's Ford 4x4 pickup(the best Ford truck body style IMO) and about the same period Formula/Trans Am, which as since been restored and seen around his old home town every once in a while.

I still have my 94 that I bought 5 months before turning 16 (in 2000) and I will have it as long as I possibly can.

Keep up the great work!!!

Quick Reply: 89 F150 (First Truck)