Food for thought - Are you growing an algae pond in your fresh water tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Food for thought - Are you growing an algae pond in your fresh water tank?

Having just finished working the local NASCAR race and ran into several water pump issues one that is easy to avoid is plugging the intake to the fresh water pump with algae.

Typically a running pump that is not really hot or leaking means a blocked intake screen or a air leak on the inlet side of the pump. Most of us know not to drink the stale water in the fresh water tank we use to flush our commodes when we travel, but it is easy to forget all the things that can grow in that water in warm weather.

I had a couple of calls for new pumps where the fix was removing the blocked filter from the pump and cleaning it out, then reinstalling it. Probably better to use our systems routinely or drain and chlorinate a couple of times a year to keep things sparkly and fresh. And naturally always check the screen before forking over the bucks for a new pump.

Just a thought

Steve

Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Good advice as always Steve..

Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny - I thought about all the heat and humidity here in Tennessee this year and what a battle it was just to keep mold from growing IN THE HOUSE. left over water in an RV fresh tank? Eeeew...

I SAY DRAIN THAT THING every chance you get. For one thing, water weighs a LOT. I forget how many pounds it is per gallon, and part of the fuel bill for pulling is directly because of weight.

Be sure you have a good cap on the filler.

CAMPING WORLD and other outlets sell cartridge filters that can be used when connecting the fresh tank or even just to city service so that cruddies don't get into the system to begin with.

A decent cartridge filter that will last for five years of constant use in a live-in hook up is about $25 and up, and screws directly onto a water hose. About 14 inches long, two inches diameter, these handy items can also be used to fill water JUGS for household emergencies and take up very little space.

~I have mentioned these before, and here is the one I use at home as an emergency water filter:

I always store it with the short length of drinking water grade hose attached to both ends in a closed loop so everything stays clean.
*NO, that isn't me in the top photo. But "Woola" approves...

Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta remember that cup of bleach with a fill up periodically.