6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dieselsite fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
bsailors
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dieselsite fuel filter

Contemplating this for my new 6.7 truck.

Anyone have opinions good/bad regarding using the filter setup?

Any concerns about voiding the warranty? The way I am looking at it, the possibility of voiding a warranty is outweighed with the probability of the dealer denying a 10k warranty claim due to bad fuel.

http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...separator.aspx

Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
TOO Pricey

Originally Posted by bsailors

Any concerns about voiding the warranty? The way I am looking at it, the possibility of voiding a warranty is outweighed with the probability of the dealer denying a 10k warranty claim due to bad fuel.

A little too pricey for me. I have never every found water in my fuel, if I did I might think about it. If it happens I will turn the claim into my insurance. Check with your agent, you might need to get a umbrella policy it depends. This was cheaper for me then cost of that filter and covers more items.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 900 Likes on 326 Posts
I put one on my truck a year ago. I am happy with it, and I guess thats all the matters to me. It would be interesting to see Ford deny warranty with it on. Installs quickly, uses all factory fittings, easy to change filters and see whats in the bowls.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
I put one on my truck a year ago. I am happy with it, and I guess thats all the matters to me. It would be interesting to see Ford deny warranty with it on. Installs quickly, uses all factory fittings, easy to change filters and see whats in the bowls.
Is it really the 15 minute install that they claim? If so, I think I just found my next upgrade. $700 is a small price to pay for the extra protection and the peace of mind, plus you can easily see the condition of your fuel and whether or not there's water.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 900 Likes on 326 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Is it really the 15 minute install that they claim? If so, I think I just found my next upgrade. $700 is a small price to pay for the extra protection and the peace of mind, plus you can easily see the condition of your fuel and whether or not there's water.
Yep. maybe 30 minutes tops. The only tools needed are to loosen the existing bolts for the DCFM that the dieselsite unit uses to attach to the frame.

Just like when you change the ford fuel filters, cycle your key on, but dont start for about 30 seconds, 6-10 times to purge all the air out of the system.

I also bought a pile of replacement filters while I was at it.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Great info! Thanks. Ordered

Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too pricey for me.If it gives you piece of mind thats great.I just dont want to be looking for water in the fuel everyday I go out to my truck.If it happens so be it.Like another poster said,I will hand it over to my insurance company.No way Im saying your wrong for doing it but just a little over the top for me.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
My deductible is higher than the price of the filter, by far. My time is valuable as well and I don't want the hassle of dealing with getting a sick truck to or from the shop, or dealing with the insurance adjuster or the claim process. Considering the price of some of the other upgrades I've done or am planning, it's not much money for the benefit I believe it brings.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Like I said,if it makes you feel better then good for you but Im not going to worry about water in the fuel.Ive done alot of upgrades to but this wont be one.My deductable is much less then 700.Ive prolly got a better chance at winning lotto then water in the fuel.Either way ill roll the dice on this one.My time is valuable too.And for something that prolly isnt going to happen...Has there been someone on this forum thats been "saved" by this filter yet? Just wondering..Good for you though.Just giving my opinion.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:50 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
And I was stating mine. Yes, it will make me feel better. I chose a higher deductible on my insurance to keep the monthly rates down. My record is clean, and so far haven't had any claims for 27 years of driving and felt that a higher deductible would be better for me.
I don't know how many of these - if any - have saved an engine. Nor do I know how many of the failures seen previously could have benefited from having one of these. I also don't know how many engines have been hurt by having this system. I am willing to give it a try, as it looks like it should work. If it doesn't, I can pay for whatever repairs are a consequence of this choice and remove the system since it's quick disconnect and requires only a few minutes to remove. I know that there are a lot of complaints about the WIF light coming on too late, and that the OEM filter is inadequate in some opinions. Having this gives me the opportunity to see algae and water before it causes any issues.

In my opinion, the benefit is worth the risk and cost. My truck - money - my risk. The OP asked for an opinion. I gave mine. It was not based on experience, but rather on design and concept. I'm willing to try it. If the OP was afraid of the cost, he wouldn't likely have posted the link asking about it.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Why insurace

I will keep my truck 5 years.

I carry full insurance with mechanical breakdown. Mechanical breakdown deductible is 250 bucks. Mechanical break down insurance cover more than Ford and is cheaper than the Ford extended warranty. The price is like 130 bucks a year.

I can't say to call GEICO but it really is a nice product.

They can't cancel me like Ford does with water in fuel.

I just got covered for spun barring and had a axle replace under insurance. This was on my THOR and was covered under comprehensive. WOW surprised me.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Seabee,You took the post a little too personal dont you think? I was giving the op my opinion with my first post.Wasnt directed at you in particular.Relax.We all have opinions and they are given but dont take it to heart for god sakes!lol..Good luck with your investment.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
The Diesel sites setup is out of my budget. As much as I'd like to have one. One large concern for me is New Hampshire salt from roads. It eats everything fast. I don't believe his filters are made of SS or brass.
From what I've read by a Ford Tech about water in diesel he said there are two types one that will get caught by the separator and then the water that stays in the fuel and no filter unless it's a very high tech type (not dieselsites) will not get caught.
I treat every tank with Power Service and so far have had good luck.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Originally Posted by bsailors

I checked out the link plus have seen some other threads with the installation. I do like the fact that you can see your fuel at a glance.

I saw that picture of the nasty accumulation in the bowl after they tested for 4 months. I don't know if they intentionally put contaminated fuel in the tanks to show how the system separates and traps or was that how much crap the system pulls from regular fill station fuel?

Originally Posted by djousma
Dave, wondering if you ever see build up (debris or water) in your bowls over time?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM
FORD-DNA
Senior User
The last guy on FTE to have HPFP issues picked up some horrible looking fuel... It was brown and looked nothing like the typical fuel we fill up with 99.9 out of 100 times. I believe someone said it looked like butter, or something like that. It looked filthy, murky, and nasty!!

I could def see this diesel site filter allowing us to look under the truck to see the color and clarity of the fuel.

So your running low on fuel and stop to fill up then you drive home, work, BAR, or a friends house then hop out and take a quick look. Could def help iMO!

Quick Reply: Dieselsite fuel filter