Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed on a HARD decision...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Opinions needed on a HARD decision...

Well.... I didn't think I would get to this point, and hoped I wouldn't, but I have been pushed into contemplating selling the old girl for something that isn't as killer on fuel.

As of right now it isn't so much of a big deal, but come the end of September I will be going back to school full time at a campus that is much further away from where I live than the last. Unfortunately there isn't public transport available to get me there either like I had at the last campus.

I am at a crossroads because of this. I will be working while I go to school, but will not be able to work full time like I am right now because of the course load. With the cut in hours, I will essentially be spending everything I make in a week on gas to go to school and work, with whatever is left going to insurance.

This is where it gets hard. Despite how dumb it might be, I am VERY attached to my truck. Most of you have seen all of the work I have put into it over the last few years. It has been a great learning experience. Heck, its been in the family since 1998.

I need some opinions on this. The adult part of me says get rid of it, get something that doesn't cost as much to drive and move on, there will always be a chance in the future to buy another truck like it. But then there is the inner child/car guy that is struggling to let an old friend go....

Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you possibly non-op it and buy a cheap little beater Civic / Camry / etc. to get you by?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get rid of it but you will never be able to replace it. I still kiss my first crew cab even though my new crew is by far a nicer truck it's just not the same. It is a hard decision good luck buddy

Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Golden Helmet
Could you possibly non-op it and buy a cheap little beater Civic / Camry / etc. to get you by?
This was one of the possibilities I was thinking about, however there is the issue with where to store it. My parents are on the brink of going their separate ways in the coming months which is going to leave me with nowhere to store it...

Originally Posted by Crewcabber
You can get rid of it but you will never be able to replace it. I still kiss my first crew cab even though my new crew is by far a nicer truck it's just not the same. It is a hard decision good luck buddy
This is my bug issue. I am way to attached to it, especially with everything I have done to it...

Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 PM
f1504x4driver
Proud Pirate
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I completely understand your problem but consider this, if you purchase something newer it may not save you money. While the gas mileage may be better, if you have a payment, higher insurance, tag, it may not be a savings at all. I have thought of it myself with mine that I have had 19 years but overall, it is cheaper for me to pay the higher gas and I still come out ahead of a newer vehicle. It is also easier to repair when I have issues. Nothing newer will turn heads like a nice obs truck. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy a motorcycle, keep the truck.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
One of the main issues I face at the moment is the lack of funds to buy another vehicle in good enough shape to drive everyday... The truck would likely HAVE to go for me to get a reliable daily... God I hate this...

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM
f1504x4driver
Proud Pirate
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Sounds like you have made a decision to me. You can save money and buy something later if you need to, but you know you can depend on your truck.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
I think the best way to go about it is going to be drive it for as long as I can afford to class, and if the day comes that I can't afford it, I will have to make a change...

Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Take your time, since you have some, before you make a decision. Sharpen your pencil sometimes things look better or worse than they are depending on the timeframe.

I'm sure you're aware you'll never recoup the time or money spent on your truck. So if you sell it, you'll get a realistic price, maybe even less. When people _have_ to sell something, potential buyers can smell it. "Never fall in love with something that can't love ya back." To my way of thinking your job is too far away from school, or the other way around, regardless of what you are driving.

As someone mentioned you could end up spending more after all is said and done. By the way, what are you going to school for in terms of degree, what year are you, how are you paying tuition, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
I am going into the Automotive Service Program. I will be starting the first year of the program. With my previous credits from my last school, I will be going for an associates in applied science along wiht the Automotive Service certificate. The tuition is being paid for by financial aid, but the tools, textbooks and other supplies are coming from my own pocket.

And a rundown of my commute. School is a 35 mile round trip 5 days a week. Work is a 20 mile round trip, but is in the exact opposite direction of school. So on now work days, 35 miles or so a day and on work days 55 or so miles. That works out to about 225 miles or so a week. Not too bad until you realize my truck only manages 9-10 MPG...

Old 07-24-2014, 12:09 AM
krooser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a $500 beater and park the truck. I've driven more cheap vehicles in the last 25 years than I can count. Almost everyone has been a good vehicle… right now I have a '90 Buick, a '95 Ram (250K plus), a '99 Jeep (150K), a '97 Mazda and the F-350 (lowest mileage @ 85K)...

Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
If you don't have a place to store the truck, where are you going to live? Seems to me you can beg, borrow or steal something to commute with if you really want to keep the truck.

It is true that getting attached to a particular truck probably isn't very wise. As a species, sure. Still, bet it's paid for and insurance is cheap. Are you on your parents policy, something like that?

Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by krooser
Buy a $500 beater and park the truck. I've driven more cheap vehicles in the last 25 years than I can count. Almost everyone has been a good vehicle… right now I have a '90 Buick, a '95 Ram (250K plus), a '99 Jeep (150K), a '97 Mazda and the F-350 (lowest mileage @ 85K)...
My grandma has a car that she might be done with soon so that might be an option. But my uncle is using it at the moment.

Originally Posted by Tedster9
If you don't have a place to store the truck, where are you going to live? Seems to me you can beg, borrow or steal something to commute with if you really want to keep the truck.

It is true that getting attached to a particular truck probably isn't very wise. As a species, sure. Still, bet it's paid for and insurance is cheap. Are you on your parents policy, something like that?

To be honest, I am unsure of where I am going to end up. Doesn't seem to be one of their main focuses, rather money...

I am on my parents policy and the truck is paid off. Has been since '98. I am on my parents policy and the insurance is pretty cheap.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
I appreciate all the help guys. Been a lot on my mind lately with few ways of venting or dealing with them so the help and guidance towards a rational decision is greatly appreciated...

Quick Reply: Opinions needed on a HARD decision...