1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 F6 Fire Truck Frame Off Resto

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 PM
GodSpeedRides
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1948 F6 Fire Truck Frame Off Resto

Hey guys I joined up here to get a little input on a 48 F6 Fire Truck we are building. It will be a full frame off restoration. However, it will be rebuild with a modern drivetrain and some other conveniences. The owner wants reliable transportation and will be using it to advertise his business. We will remove the rear ballast tank and install seating and some other conveniences. We are probably looking at installing a 351 crate motor and automatic transmission.

I was looking for some advise on front and rear suspension. We would like to have disc brakes on the front and would also like to replace the 2 speed rear end with another rear end. We didnt know if an older E350 Ford van striaght axle would work in the front and a possible dually rear end from a ford P/U. I have done a little research but know all of the knowledge is here on this forum. We typically do complete frame off restorations on muscle cars and build customs. We are really looking forward to stepping out of the box a little and having some fun with this killer Ford. You can check us out at GodSpeed Rides.

thanks, Mark

Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
It is hard to tell from the picture on my cell phone, but, please do yourself a favor and look up "widow maker rims." Then determine if you should get some chains or something. The life you save may be your own.
Nice truck.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome! The smarter guys will be along, I suspect that they may suggest looking at parts from motor home chassis. It is curious that the cab interior isn't red - suggests that this truck didn't start work duty as a fire rig.

DW

Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Yeah, they are widow markers. Please let all the air out of the tires before doing a lot with them then do a Google search for "Firestone RH-5°" rims.

To your question, I'd suggest finding a junk '70s era Dodge RM400/500 motor home that could donate its 19.5" tubeless wheels and Dana 70 rear axle. These have the same 5 lug x 8" bolt pattern that lets you keep the truck looking period correct, and gives a 4.56/1 rear ratio for improved road speed. The rear axle is nearly a bolt in swap. To my understanding the spring perches are about 1/8" off meeting up perfectly to the springs which mean you'll only have to grind the corners of the perches on one side to allow the hanger bolts to clear.

The front axle will be more challenging. Some of these motor homes did have disc brakes. I had a similar project planned and had gathered the pieces, but changed plans and sold the rear axle and Alcoas. I still have the front hubs and discs to see myself someday whether the pieces can be adapted to the stock F-4/5/6 front spindles. I doubt you'd be able to use the whole donor front axle without doing some serious re-engineering of the steering. Your fire engine has the steering drag link and pitman arm outside the frame rail while more modern vehicles have all these pieces inside the frame rails to comply with government rules blah, blah, blah. But the old spindles might take the newer components with some machine shop help. So, that's what I can suggest. Welcome to the group. Stu

Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's all there and not busted than don't just scrap the old engine (337)
and crash box. Sell them on CL or E Bay. Lets keep as much of the old iron
alive that we can. Did ya try to get the Flat Motor to run? Did it turn over?

Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
That would be a 239.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:50 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
In my opinion, that truck just isn't going to look right with smaller wheels and tires on it.
Most all modern trucks have much wider track width, so finding donor axles that use bigger wheels will be a challenge.
My suggestion would be to keep the OE axles, upgrade the wheels and brakes and add an OD trans.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 PM
GodSpeedRides
New User
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
It is hard to tell from the picture on my cell phone, but, please do yourself a favor and look up "widow maker rims." Then determine if you should get some chains or something. The life you save may be your own.
Nice truck.
I am not the sharpest tack in the box but widow maker does not sound good Are they like the old split rims of years ago? I am glad to know this.

Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Welcome! The smarter guys will be along, I suspect that they may suggest looking at parts from motor home chassis. It is curious that the cab interior isn't red - suggests that this truck didn't start work duty as a fire rig.

DW
Not sure about that.....maybe someone did a conversation??? I know it has been a firetruck for a real long time.

Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Yeah, they are widow markers. Please let all the air out of the tires before doing a lot with them then do a Google search for "Firestone RH-5°" rims.

To your question, I'd suggest finding a junk '70s era Dodge RM400/500 motor home that could donate its 19.5" tubeless wheels and Dana 70 rear axle..........

The front axle will be more challenging. Some of these motor homes did have disc brakes. I had a similar project planned and had gathered the pieces, but changed plans and sold the rear axle and Alcoas............... . So, that's what I can suggest. Welcome to the group. Stu
Thanks for the lead Stu. We dont want to get too crazy but we would like to update the brakes and suspension if possible. These guys plan on driving this truck and as white collar professionals we would like to make it as user friendly as possible. If they were a bunch of red necks I would say forget the good brakes.......just put an anchor in the back they could throw out if the old brakes ever went out.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
thank you I will check them out.

Honestly we didnt even try it. It ran before they parked the truck. I will make sure the motor goes to someone who can use it. I promise I wont scrap it.

Originally Posted by tinman52
In my opinion, that truck just isn't going to look right with smaller wheels and tires on it.
Most all modern trucks have much wider track width, so finding donor axles that use bigger wheels will be a challenge.
My suggestion would be to keep the OE axles, upgrade the wheels and brakes and add an OD trans.
I would like to put the 22.5's on it and figured if we found an 8 lug solution I would get some of the 8 lug to 10 lug adapters if there was enough track width.

Originally Posted by 1952henry
That would be a 239.
thanks for the clarification

Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Daaaayum! You folks don't waste much time, do you?
I think your sheet metal looks to be in pretty (very) good shape. I'm giving some thought to a Gear Vendors' divorced overdrive myself.
Nice thing about the 22.5s is that they are radials. Them thar "yuppies" might kin do better on radials.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking great. Keep the updates coming.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
wish mine had gone so quickly. Nice pics

Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice project! Is that a Hale or Waterous pump? It looks like a 500 or 750 gpm pump. If you aren't going to reinstall the pump, you might put out some feelers with local VFDs about the pump. Some of them might need the pump or be able to use it for parts on a rig that is still in service.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 PM
GodSpeedRides
New User
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Daaaayum! You folks don't waste much time, do you?
I think your sheet metal looks to be in pretty (very) good shape. I'm giving some thought to a Gear Vendors' divorced overdrive myself.
Nice thing about the 22.5s is that they are radials. Them thar "yuppies" might kin do better on radials.
I checked out the Gear Vendors overdrive. Really nice stuff!!

Looking great. Keep the updates coming.
thank you.

Originally Posted by JimG1098
wish mine had gone so quickly. Nice pics
It has been a tremdous amount of work. They come apart alot easier than they go back together.

This truck is in really great condition. We have had some sheet metal repair. We just set up our sheet metal shop here and not too soon. Thom takes care of all the metal and he does a fabulous job!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM
GodSpeedRides
New User
Originally Posted by VocaTexas
Nice project! Is that a Hale or Waterous pump? It looks like a 500 or 750 gpm pump. If you aren't going to reinstall the pump, you might put out some feelers with local VFDs about the pump. Some of them might need the pump or be able to use it for parts on a rig that is still in service.
Quite honestly I didnt look at the tag on the pump but I will. We will not be re-installing the pump on this truck because it will be transformed into a seating area. I will make sure it goes to a good home.

Quick Reply: 1948 F6 Fire Truck Frame Off Resto