1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint and colors from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:32 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
paint and colors from Ford

hey Guys,

I swear I posted this but I cant find it, may not have gone thru, so
here goes a 2nd time.

What would be a good "source" of information either internet or a book
to show the colors exterior and interior of the diff Ford Truck models
of the F1 for 1951 and 1952?

Me and Dad have been talking paint again and with the diff colors it currently is I'm not sure what its even "supposed" to look like.

Thanks for any info, sorry if this did end up in another post too.
T

Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
You can probably find scans of the color chips online, but from the ones I've seen it's hard to get an accurate picture that way. Finding Google images of trucks of the various optional factory colors is another way, but in most cases there's no way to do an exact color match since the old paint formulas are no longer applicable to modern paint products. Another way is to watch eBay for old paint company color chips. Then there are the salesman's handbooks that each have a page with the various color options. If you are wanting to match the original color of your truck you'll no doubt find it hidden under the dash or somewhere protected. Also if you have an idea of what color you want we can probably post pictures for you of restored examples. Stu

Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
I went to a local auto body paint place and they actually had old books from back in the day. I looked at colors for my 54 from actual paint chips

Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to 52 colors. It has pages with all other years also.

1952 Color Codes - Ford Paint Cross-Reference

It also has a link to the original Ford paint chip page.

Paint Chips 1952 Ford Ford Truck Lincoln Mercury

Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Colors

hey guys,

Thanks for the info so far.

One more quesiton,

interriors, is there a "guide" to how they looked?
meaning, if you had a red truck, you got a "????" interrior color, dash color, seat color, etc.

Right now, I'm "supposed to have" a Vermillion Red truck.
But it's primer gray with black dash, celing, doors, (brown seat, brown door panels and elbow wrests) along with the argent glove box and argent heater with red stripe.

Somehow that just dont seem to go together. Dad swears they did come like that or could have, he remembers seeing red ext/ black interrior and brown seats before.

And, i've googled the pics but I guess i'm wanting to know how Ford put em out first, I'm curious how the factory color combo looked and we'd decide to go from there I guess.

I was suprised too, Dad even mentioned painting it Grey with yellow flames coming off the front end, he thought that would be cool!
At 82 he's still COOL!

(I think the dual exhaust sound of this truck really made his day when i pulled in the drive with it, it put a grin on him for sure).

Thanks guys!
I'll keep diggin around.

PS: as far as painting, my fellow "THING" brothers had this link that has a few other links to Hotrod about a Krylon do it yourself paint job. Sounds like a home project, cheap price but lot's of elbow work.

If you can stand reading about VW THING's, check it out, the Hot rod article does a 62 Falcon I think in white, with krylon and a roller no doubt!

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Painting a Thing Panel by Panel?

T

Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JimG1098
I went to a local auto body paint place and they actually had old books from back in the day. I looked at colors for my 54 from actual paint chips
I did this, also the paint supply had lots of differant years and car models differant names for differant manufactor but same color

Old 07-18-2014, 08:16 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
The interior paint color is the same as exterior color, aside from the argent accent on the dash and glove box door. Here's the diagram from the salesman's handbook of the "5 Star Extra" gray/reddish interior.

There are similar home roller paint jobs using Rustoleum. I'd love to try it. Stu

rustoleum and a roller - Page 2 - Diesel Bombers
moparts: paint job on a budget!?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
cool

Thanks guys for the extra info.

I'd love to see a color photo though, maybe I'll search Amazon for a picture book or something.
Thanks again though.

PS as far as the krylon paint job, for me, I'd need to prob do this a part at a time, hood, fender, door, etc. I can see it taking almost a week per part.

sanding, metal prep, dry times, paint, paint dry times, etc....
I may practice on the tailgate or the hood, flat items should be easy but the curved parts, runs and dry times may be interesting.

I'll post a pic if I can do this anytime soon. Heck, the Hoods been sand blasted and just primed it would be the easiest one to do, just 1 more hole to weld up!

Stay tuned
T

Old 07-20-2014, 04:36 PM
PHXHawk
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doublecannister-Click on my avatar, then click on "Show all Albums" on the right.There I have put 2 pictures of the '56 interior. They are from the Sales Brochure for that year, and it looks like there either were no rules or Ford designers were colorblind.

Last edited by PHXHawk; 07-20-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Better instructions
Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Here's a link to a restored '51 truck. There may be some question to the accuracy of his claim that it's restored 100% correct ( I can find several 'over-restored' flaws) but the interior looks pretty much like it should. Hope this helps.

51 FORD F1 PICKUP

And here's a pic of the deluxe interior showing the truck in Meadow Green with the grey/maroon two tone all the deluxe interiors had, no matter what exterior color. Not so sure it goes that well with the green, but that's my 2c.