1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2001 E-350 w 6.8L V10 won't show engine sensor outputs on scanner

Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 AM
ka9j
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E-350 w 6.8L V10 won't show engine sensor outputs on scanner

A dome light got left on in my 2001 E-350 w/ 6.8L V-10 engine, and the battery went completely dead. I hadn't driven it for a month or so, so I have no idea how long it was dead. I charged the battery (and found the dome light on), and the engine would crank, but not fire at all. I connected my Actron CP9180 , and it would communicate some with my PCM, but would not find or show the engine sensor output. I connected the Actron to my 2006 Freestar and my son's 1997 Taurus, and it worked great. I started checking things, and found that the E-350 had no fuel pressure, and the fuel pump was locked up and drawing a lot of current (20 Amps). I replaced the fuel pump, and the van started and ran fine....I thought. It still wouldn't indicate the engine sensors output. I tried resetting it with the Actron, but no help.

Last week, my son had to move some tools to a friend's auto repair shop, so while we were there he tried his friend's Matco scanner. It also would not indicate the engine sensors, but it did tell me that I had a P1000 error code (emission test not complete), but I couldn't get it to tell me exactly what test was not finished. My Actron also showed the P1000 error, but it indicated that the oxygen sensor test was not complete. I've only driven it about 300 miles since I changed the fuel pump, but last week I did travel about 50 miles on the highway. I think the O2 sensors test should have been competed long ago. Watching the gas gauge, I think it's using even more gas than usual.

Anybody have any idea why my PCM won't show the engine sensor output? Do I have to reboot the PCM somehow? Any help would be appreciated.

Frank D.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Here is a pdf I put together for you to test the pcm. You will have to download it to see it. Your year, make, and model might not be able to give you as much information as you are looking for. Not all pcm's are created equal. Try the test first.

http://www.4shared.com/office/SGp9l6...NT_TEST_C.html

Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
<table width="95%"> <tbody> <tr> <td> SECTION 418-00: Module Communications Network
</td> <td align="right"> 2001 E-Series Workshop Manual
</td></tr> <tr> <td> DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
</td> <td align="right"> Procedure revision date: 06/15/2000
</td></tr></tbody></table> <hr> Communications Network

The Module Communications Network Components

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" border="1" width="70%"> <tbody> <tr> <th valign="bottom">Item </th> <th valign="bottom">Part Number </th> <th valign="bottom">Description </th> </tr><tr valign="top"> <td>1 </td> <td>14A685 </td> <td>Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS) Module </td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>2 </td> <td>12A650 </td> <td>Powertrain Control Module (PCM) </td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>3 </td> <td>2B373 </td> <td>4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brake (4WABS) Module (Optional) </td></tr></tbody></table> The vehicle has two module communication networks: the standard corporate protocol (SCP) network, which is an unshielded twisted pair of wires (data bus plus, circuit 914 [T/O] and data bus minus, circuit 915 [PK/LB]), and the international standards organization (ISO) 9141 network which is a single wire (circuit 70 [LB/W]). Both networks can be connected to scan tool at one connector called the data link connector (DLC). This makes troubleshooting these systems easier by allowing one tester to be able to diagnose and control any module on the two networks from one connector. The DLC can be found under the instrument panel directly below the steering column.
The ISO 9141 network does not permit inter-module communication. When scan tool communicates to modules on the ISO 9141 network, scan tool must ask for all information; the modules cannot initiate communications.
The SCP network will remain operational even with the severing of one of the bus wires. Communications will also continue if one of the bus wires is shorted to chassis ground or battery positive voltage (B+) or if some, but not all, termination resistors are lost.
Unlike the SCP, the ISO 9141 network will not function if the wire is shorted to chassis ground or battery positive voltage (B+). Also, if one of the modules on the ISO 9141 network loses power or shorts internally, communications to that module will fail. There are two modules on each network.

SCP Communication Network
The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) is on the SCP communication network. The PCM controls the engine for better fuel economy, emissions control and failure mode detection and storage. Refer to Section 3A in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
The natural gas vehicle module (NGVM) is on the SCP communication network.
The NGVM has separate injector drivers to run the injectors at the higher operating pressure of natural gas. The NGVM does not perform any calculations for this function; calibration for the injectors is maintained in the PCM.

ISO 9141 Communication Network
The electronic crash sensor (ECS) module is on the ISO 9141 network. The ECS controls the deployment of the air bags based on sensor input. Refer to Section 501-20B .
The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system (4WABS) is on the ISO 9141 network. The 4WABS controls the brake pressure to the four wheels to keep the vehicle under control while braking. Refer to Section 206-09 ..

<hr>

Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 AM
ka9j
4wd High
PDF

Brian,

Thanks for the info!!!! For the last couple of days, I've been attempting to get the PDF file to show enough detail to read, and to print it out. I've been unsuccessful. Would it be possible for you to E-mail the PDF to me?

ka9j01@yahoo.com

I know where the PCM is---do you have any idea where the ECS module and 4WABS module are? If there was a problem with the ISO network would I get an ABS or AIRBAG alarm light?

Frank

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM
ka9j
4wd High
Van update

FWIW, here's what's new with the E-350.

The P1000 error never came back the second time, but the O2 heater and sensor tests never completed. I did some more research online, and found a few people that had the identical problem with Ford Super Duty trucks. What they'd found out is that when the GVW is over 8800#, the vehicles don't need to comply with the complete OBD2 tests and they don't use the same PCM modules. Ford uses simpler computers. These people also had the same uncompleted tests showing on theirs, and they passed the emission tests. My van is rated @ 9300# and although they do plug into the OBD port, they still sniff the exhaust at idle. Then I decided that since the PCM wasn't testing the O2 sensors and I was getting poor gas mileage, that I needed to test the 02 sensors with my DVM. Both sensors were bad (they only had about .15V output and it was steady). I ordered a pair of Bosch sensors from Rock Auto and installed them. I put about 200 miles on the van over the weekend, and by Sunday it was getting about 17 MPG as estimated from the gas gauge movement. This was on mostly state highways with a speed of 55-60 MPH. There was a small amount of interstate 68-70 MPH driving. Before changing the O2 sensors I'd estimate that it was getting about 10 MPG or less.

The right 02 sensor was a bit of a pain to change. You change it from the doghouse opening, but it points straight up from the exhaust pipe. You can get the 02 sensor socket to go on, but there isn't room for a ratchet. You can't get a wrench on the socket hex straight enough to work. I ended up using a 7/8" crows foot wrench, but the sensor was real tight and took quite a bit of torque to loosen. After it was done, I looked online and saw they have what appears to be a box wrench/crow foot that goes completely around the sensor hex and that'd be a lot better than the open end crows foot. The left sensor had room for the socket and ratchet and was accessed from below and wasn't very tight. I have no idea why the 02 sensors went bad--I'm not going through any anti-freeze and my van only has 70K miles on it. Other than spark plugs and one ignition coil about 7 years ago, no work has been done. I did use anti-seeze on the plugs, but I always do that and haven't had problems before. The gas mileage hasn't been normal for a couple of years, but I don't drive it much so it wasn't important to check into.

It won't have an emission test until next summer, but I'm glad it's fixed now.

Thanks for all your help!!
<hr style="color:#D1D1E1; background-color:#D1D1E1" size="1">

Old 08-13-2014, 12:24 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
This is great info to have, especially the part about the tool.

Thanks for the update too---glad its sorted out for now!

Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 PM
katoranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know on the O2 sensors. I have two new ones to install also. Hoping to gain a couple mpg. Would be happy with 14.