Tall 400 dual plane intake...US made

Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 AM
TMI
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tall 400 dual plane intake...US made

I am taking a poll to see what the viability is to produce a nasty dual plane for the 400. I am imagining a air-gap style intake about 6-7" tall. Budget, say about $499. It would be about $150 less then buying a Edelbrock air-gap and the spacer plates.
Realizing the edelbrock and Weiand only cost low $200, is $500 pushing it to much?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 AM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Tim,

I think there would be more interest in a modern hi-rise single plane myself - as there is no such intake on the market right now. Another dual plane? Most people will skip it just because it's "just another dual plane".

Making a new high performance single plane will interest more buyers that want to try something unique. I'm not even sure you'd have to give up much torque either. Some of your first dyno testing included a Holley Street Dominator that did quite well compared to the Weiand and Edelbrock dual planes.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I would be in for a high-tech high-rise dual plane. I had a guy in the shop a couple of days ago with an intake off of a new Modular V8, although I forget the size. But the length of the runners was amazing! They must be 3x the length of a normal intake and would have to boost the torque - much like the old Mopar rams.

Having said that, it was for EFI as you can't do to an air/fuel mix what you can with dry air. So, would this be a carb intake only?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:57 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant fit a tall manifold without chopping a hole in the bonnet of my 72 Galaxie, ain't gonna happen.
I have a Holley street dom fitted, but would like an air-gap of some type but cannot justify the extra price and mucking around of a 351 manifold and plates.
One more joint to seal also, shouldn't be a problem but well, it could be.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 PM
72fordgts
Junior User
I'd be interested in a dual plane like this, but the price is a tad high. It'd be fine if I didn't have to cross the border, but the shipping and duty add a lot of cost. I'd also have to take some measurements to make sure It'd clear my hood.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:29 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Would it be more feasible to cast 351c intake adapters? Could they be done for significantly less than machined adapter plates?

Could it be cast as one continuos piece, valley pan and plates all in one casting?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
The question is this - where is the trade-off? At what point is it better to just make a tall single plane?

Tim has "proven" the new Weiand to over 500HP. Better to offer a new dual plane to gain 10HP or a new single plane to gain 40HP? I just don't know that the gains are there in a dual plane. I'd be glad to be proven wrong however!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Since we are mostly trucks here torque is king and hood clearance isn't too bad a restriction.. In my case the Edlebrock is giving me plenty of that but I would like more rpm capability. I do however have 2v heads.

So Yes! I would be very interested.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Yes, hood clearance will be an issue. I have an Edelbrock Performer 400 on my engine right now, and with a 1" spacer it looks like I can only run a 4" tall air cleaner. A drop base 5"x13" was a tiny bit too large O.D., it fit, but wasn't going to work all that well once the engine started moving around 4-wheeling and stuff.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:19 PM
TMI
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have been doing so many Edelbrock air gap intakes with the adapter plates, that we felt to make that unit as 1 piece would be a good deal. Face it a large majority of the engines are in trucks with hood clearance.
As far as dual plane, the Midnight Modified had the Blue Thunder dual plane making 620 HP. So there is plenty of power potential for a dual plane yet.

I do feel a single plane will be a must.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:01 PM
derbydad276
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
471/671 supercharger intake ???

Old 03-28-2015, 05:55 PM
apachetech
Senior User
I would be interested in the intake. There are many options for custom air intakes that could address any clearance issues and like has be said previously, most of the engines do go in trucks which have a healthy amount of space.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 PM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My vote goes for a high rise single plane with a removable divider plate. A properly built 400 has low end to spare, if it gets too mushy add the plate (cuts down the reversion from large overlap cams). Also fills the gap between dual planes and high rise single planes. I would run the divider just so I could throw an o2 sensor in each header and tune my engine more accurately side too side. BUT I would definitely buy me a Performer RPM for a 400, if "they" made one.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 AM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Better yet, how about a manifold that incorporates a small dual plane that runs off the primaries and a larger single plane that runs off the secondaries. It would be tricky to wrap the primaries around the secondaries plenum, with the primary plenum located below the secondary plenum. From the front I imagine large handle bar mustache like tubes that wrap around the secondaries plenum to reach the primary plenum. This would give a strait shot too the front of the secondary plenum from the secondaries, unlike past designs. I would also focus the primaries along the left side of the intake port and focus the secondaries on the right side. (looking at the valve). I would call it the tri-plane. Doesn't TMI inc Tri-Plane intake manifold for the 400 Cleveland just sound bad ***? Imagine the low end response and fuel mileage of a dual plane, with the high RPM rush of a single plane.....

Old 03-31-2015, 05:33 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would be interested eventually Tim, I was going to in the future go with a 351c air gap with the plates. For a truck engine this intake i think would be a big plus, looking forward to see what happens. Also,thanks again for all you do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tall 400 dual plane intake...US made