1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

So all I could do was watch in horror as a load test was done to my truck....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
So all I could do was watch in horror as a load test was done to my truck....

My wife's family reunion, and I took my recently completed truck to the event.
Well....the photographer wanted a group photo next to the truck of all the ladies. Next thing I knew the younger ones piled into the back. Then things went down hill. First more of them went into the back. Then one that wasn't too fit and trim decided to sit on the tailgate.
I gasped and started to get that troubled feeling. My wife was in the back and saw me and gave me a look like "Oh don't spoil it for us!"
So I had to fade in the background while two others sat on the tailgate.

You guys do know that an F2 tailgate is nearly impossible to find. There might be two non-rusted straight ones left on the whole planet. I expected mine to fold up like wet cardboard any second. It had about 600 pounds sitting on it!

All them men there were joking about it being only a 3/4 ton and I was white as ghost trying to look cool and cooperative. They figured there was 1,400 pounds in the bed and on the tailgate.

Seemed like an hour that it took the photographer to snap a bunch of pictures. In the meantime I was looking at the space between the rear tire and the rear fender. Not bad, the new springs were doing their job - I could still see a gap there.

But holy crap then I had to pretend not to look over the truck after the herd cleared out of it. But as soon as everyone was off posing for pictures elsewhere I gave it a good checking over.

Much to my surprise the tailgate didn't show any signs of damage.

My advice.....when it comes to your truck, a camera and a crowd of women....they better be cheerleaders or better yet strippers. At least if it gets damaged you'll be smiling the whole time.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Old Boy was smilin' with all the Ladies aboard

Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Built Ford Tough!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it survived and I bet they all had fun, and the guys were probably laughing "with" you and not at you. Good thing you had new springs
Nothing like a bunch of ladies and an old truck. My wife claims that she will be scared to even ride in mine much less sit in the back. She says that she won't even want to drive it.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar to my experience at the local university homecoming parade. They have no clue how close to a heart attack they give us. Glad you made it thru...and the truck too. I do not ever allow the tailgate on mine to be lowered btw.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Nice picture. That truck (and tailgate) can handle that easily. Your description was more frightening than the picture itself.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:39 PM
pineconeford

My wife was the first one to jump in the back for the pictures....I had about 1/500 of a second to react and blew my chance. They started piling on as my heart stopped beating and I couldn't utter a word for a few seconds. Then I got 'the look'.

I think the tailgate chains are about 2" longer now.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:43 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by Wayne Waldrep
........ I do not ever allow the tailgate on mine to be lowered btw.

Good information. I'll put a few heavy duty zip-ties in the toolbox in case any other photo-op starts to brew.

"sorry, the tailgate latches are broken"

Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to take a guess that your wife doesn't check this forum!

Glad all survived unscathed.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It could have been worst.

Just get a few stickers before the next event.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 AM
pineconeford

DMack - I unsubscribed to this thread so that the e-mail notification won't leave a trace.

Ilya - holy smokes that one chick in your picture weighed as much as the truck. She is two axe handles across!
Ewwwww!

ha ha ha

Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Well Tom, at least your truck is on the road and the load test was satisfactory! I would definitely agree that the tailgate was at the most risk for failure. At least it was a "distributed load" not a "point load"

Old 07-15-2014, 01:20 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Awesome! I bet you didn't even hit the overload springs? (did you install Overload Springs?) these trucks are damn tuff. I hear you on the tailgate concern I wouldn't have been able to stand by.... to watch either. Glad all went well.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by dmack91
I am going to take a guess that your wife doesn't check this forum!

Glad all survived unscathed.
Originally Posted by pineconeford
DMack - I unsubscribed to this thread so that the e-mail notification won't leave a trace.
This was my first thoughts when I read your post. Man, I hope none of those women get wind of this post or you might not be invited to any family events.

I was the same way the first couple of years with my '49 F-2. After the first couple of stone chips and the occasional other dings and scratches I've come to he feeling that the truck is meant to be used. Anything that can happen to it I can fix. When my sons first got their driver licenses I let them take the trucks out. I had more than a few people question my sanity for letting the boys take my baby out on their own. I don't really care, again, the trucks are here to be driven and enjoyed. Not to say I wouldn't raise the roof if something happened to either of my trucks, I'd be PO'd big time but they'd have to fix it. Right now, after being on the road for 20 years the F-2 could use some minor scratch and rust repair but for now it's in OK shape and I'd rather drive than tear it apart again. Maybe in the future I'll do a minor tear down and redo some of the body work.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
..... Man, I hope none of those women get wind of this post or you might not be invited to any family events.

Hey, you just gave me an idea!

I could quickly get back about four weekends a year and do more fishing & hunting and car shows.

Tom

Quick Reply: So all I could do was watch in horror as a load test was done to my truck....