Sponsored by: DP Tuner

24 Gallons of Unleaded Gas in my PSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:47 AM
VH_Girl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 Gallons of Unleaded Gas in my PSD

Went to the same station I usually go to and said "Fill diesel". Habib gets done, hands me my receipt, closes the lid on the truck, and I start 'er up. He immediately tells me to shut it off. He then proceeds to tell me he just filled my entire tank (FROM EMPTY) with gas. I about lost it. Not only did I say DIESEL, it clearly states diesel fuel only on the inside of the gas door, and it says PowerStroke Diesel on the side of the truck. He then proceeds to tell me he will just siphon the gas out. I told him the hell you will. Then another Habib comes out and attempts to insert a siphon hose, at which time I proceeded to tell him my ex-husband and the local police are on their way. I knew better than to let him siphon and refill with diesel and drive away. I wanted it all documented. The police even said I did the right thing because otherwise I could be fighting in civil court for YEARS. Needless to say, my F250 was flat-bedded to the local Ford dealer where they will drop the fuel tank, clean the fuel lines, possibly put it new injectors, etc. Thankfully Habib agreed he made a mistake (or, as the Officer put it, a HUGE mistake with 24 gallons of gas) and is going to pay the towing bill, the Ford bill, and my rental car bill. I am NOT happy. I've been going to that station for years, but obviously never again. I hate that we cannot pump our own fuel in NJ, and I really hate that diesel pumps are always combined with gas pumps. Unfreakin' believable...

Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
WOW. At least you won't be stuck with the bill.
Why can't you pump your own fuel in NJ? I'm from the Midwest and never been out there, other than in a semi. Then I just get in, deliver my load, and get out.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:11 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Sorry for your inconvenience and for all the headache associated with your situation, but everything will be perfectly fine. In all honesty, Christine, your injectors are fine, and likely never saw any gasoline in them if the engine ran for less than a minute.

I had a similar situation where my son filled up our 44 gallon Excursion tank with about 25 gallons of gasoline. I had to do a "parking lot siphoning" followed by a and "5-gallon diesel dump" into the tank around midnight that night, but that was only after having to start and run the truck for several minutes into a neighboring empty (and very darK) parking lot which was shielded by some high bushes. Anyway, after the siphon and initial diesel dump, I added a triple dose of fuel additive and completely filled the tank with diesel, and then drove it around town for thirty minutes to make sure that any remaining gasoline residual was thoroughly mixed and treated. I never had a single hiccup from that event, and that was four years and about 35,000 miles ago.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by F250_
Sorry for your inconvenience and for all the headache associated with your situation, but everything will be perfectly fine. In all honesty, Christine, your injectors are fine, and likely never saw any gasoline in them if the engine ran for less than a minute.

I had a similar situation where my son filled up our 44 gallon Excursion tank with about 25 gallons of gasoline. I had to do a "parking lot siphoning" followed by a and "5-gallon diesel dump" into the tank around midnight that night, but that was only after having to start and run the truck for several minutes into a neighboring empty (and very darK) parking lot which was shielded by some high bushes. Anyway, after the siphon and initial diesel dump, I added a triple dose of fuel additive and completely filled the tank with diesel, and then drove it around town for thirty minutes to make sure that any remaining gasoline residual was thoroughly mixed and treated. I never had a single hiccup from that event, and that was four years and about 35,000 miles ago.
Same thing happened to me, my son filled it FULL (44 gallons) with gas and he drove it long enough to run bad, I made him siphon it out and I put some diesel in it along with some 2 stroke to lube it up. That was at least 50k ago. Bad thing was I tried to use the gas in my mower and it ran like @#$t.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Well, I can't say what ultimately happened to the fuel we siphoned out of my Excursion because I honestly don't know, but you can probably read between the lines when I spoke about a neighboring parking lot which was "very dark" and "shielded by some high bushes". I do know for a fact, though, that no greenery around the parking lot died, and there was no collateral damage to the parking lot. It was not an ideal situation, to be sure, and simply I had to get it resolved with available "resources" at the time because I was leaving the next morning for a two-week long out of town business trip, and the Ex is my wife's vehicle which she could not do without.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:28 PM
VH_Girl
Senior User
The verdict is in: $1,920.00 for the Ford dealer; about $300 for the rental car; and about $250 for the flatbed. Oh, and let's not forget the $82 worth of unleaded gas that will be drained from my truck that US Fuel just ate the cost of.

Ford is going to drop the fuel tank, drain it, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter, clean the fuel lines and the fuel injectors, and hope for the best. I am not taking any chances because should something major happen in the very near future, I'd be fighting this guy in civil court and we all know how long that **** can drag on. Not to mention I'd be forking out the money myself and HOPING to get reimbursed.

Got the gas station's insurance company name and policy #, and Ford is contacting them for approval as we speak. Luckily the owner agreed to pay whatever the cost as he did not wish to go to civil court. It's all on record!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm right around Woodbury NJ and are diesel pumps are separate and off to the side from the gas pumps and WE MUST PUMP our own diesel fuel...... Even when I'm in my gas powered personal F350 i always get out and grab the nozzle my self, i don't care what the employe has to say. ive seen them smash the nozzles into the side of peoples vehicles lean all over the side of you bed, one guy had his boot on this ladies car and answered his cell phone!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
ouch, where in Nj ? I'm in Middlesex County, my local station always lets me pump......otherwise I take my pile O' cash to the next station, had a strange "new" guy come at me with the unleaded pump in his hand, after I told him where it would be if he took another sandaled step towards my truck, he just started the pump and gave me a thumbs up. Good luck

Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
River19
Elder User
Glad things are going in the right direction.

This is why the NJ turnpike is entertaining to me the handful of times I have towed through it. I enjoy getting out and reaching for the pumps and watching the Petroleum Logistics Agents come running and screaming at me to not touch the pump......

If you ever want prompt service, get out and reach for the pump.....they will abandon running pumps to freak out and get you sorted out.

That being said, I go to the Diesel Only pumps for big rigs.....

Old 06-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
What does Jersey claim is the reason that the serfs cannot pump fuel? jeez

Old 06-06-2014, 02:20 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Just Google NJ politics, somewhere in the loooooong list of bulls_it will be some long winded bill about how we have the lowest fuel tax in the country, it's actually another piece of wool that the union backed zombies here in Nj have allowed to be pulled over their eyes, self service stations are not allowed, never have been since I can recall

Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same story here in Oregon, it seams in NJ and OR it takes "special training " to pump fuel. Oregon has an exception to the rule for diesel, we are allowed to pump our own but maybe 1 in 5 stations are actually know that stipulation.

It was a real pain when I moved to a more rural area 11 years ago. The nearest town of 30k rolled up the sidewalks at 7 pm and the closest station that didn't turn off the diesel pumps at night was 30 miles away.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
"I'd like fifty cents worth, please.."

Get everybody to do that, should end that nonsense REAL quick.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
"I'd like fifty cents worth, please.."
To which the response would be, "Yes, sir. Will that be for here, or to go?"

Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
the pump your own fuel issue has been brought to a vote at least 5 times i can remember in the past 45 years, and every time it was voted down with a resounding no way.
the people in new jersey do not want to get out of their cars to pump their own gas.

Quick Reply: 24 Gallons of Unleaded Gas in my PSD