Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 F150 Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 AM
trucks_88
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F150 Opinion

Hey everyone! I'm looking into getting a new truck this year. I'm considering getting the 2015 F150. I'm on the fence and I'd appreciate what ya'll think of it.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 AM
SuperTruckUSA
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an aftermarket distributor, I do not have loyalty to any particular brand, but I do like the look of the 2015 F150 (especially with the LED headlights). The truck has a lot of potential with it bringing game changing materials, weight savings, engine tech, etc.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I watched a video last night from The Fast Lane Trucks and they seem to have a pretty decent non-biased review of the truck. One of the features I did not know existed was you can use the key fob to drop the tailgate, now I thought that was pretty cool. EPA mpg estimates are coming out next month for the 2.7L and all the other engines so we'll get a good idea of what we'll be working with.

Some super duty features have made it from the ATLAS concept to the 2015 such as the inside door handle. Now I have seen one in person and it was a 4x4 model and it seems that the whole truck sits a bit lower to the ground. Which was done to get better aerodynamics.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:22 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
I'm pretty pleased if they trucks are going to sit lower. I'm six feet tall and I have a pretty big step up into my truck right now. Lots of folks will be putting lifts on anyway, so let's let those stock trucks come down to earth!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I'm going to be the party pooper here and say that until the 10 speed trans debuts, I wouldn't drop the cash on one.

A great truck no doubt with some innovative and daring construction processes and materials but there are humongous deals to be had with the 2014's right now.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
After driving the Dodge with the 5.7 and the 8-speed trans, I'm 100% sure that ford next high-gear-ratio offering will be excellent, and will return much better drive-ability and economy than the new truck with the "old" 6-speed transmission.

That being said, I do seem to swap trucks every few years, so I may pick up a used 2015 in a year or so . . .

Old 10-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Ecoboost vs 5.0

IMHO, at 100k is where the determination will start to be made in regards to any gas vehicle with a turbo. Some people like turbos, some like blowers, some like normally aspirated. IMHO, with gas engines for street use/daily drivers, I just don't like any boost at all...too many variables to cause damage in the long run, fuel quality, road debries, etc....and very few of these last as long as a normally aspirated gas engine....Yes the tech is great but…..the 70’s & 80’s were demonstrative of the numerous issues including finding a "Tech" who actually understands & can diagnose the system without causing further damage....this is a challenge with the engines we currently have.
As with any new application, there are going to be real world challenges especially in the 1st three years. Although the Ecoboost has been used for many years in Lincoln applications, it continues to have (although small in quantity) complaints…one common one is sudden lack of power….and of course the Feds are starting an inquiry following the filing of a related lawsuit.
Placing this drivetrain in the F150 chassis has by appearance brought continuation of this potential issue and new ones as a result of the “different chassis” and use. While the 5.0 is by engineering specs “new”, it is for the most part a conventional platform based around proven technology….IMHO, I would wait 3 years to buy this also but if I had no choice but to buy right now……I would wager the reliability on the 5.0 any day compared to the much more complicated Ecoboost.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Interesting take. I suppose no technology is truly "proven" until it's been multiple decades, but the EcoBoost has been out for five years now, and I don't think it's been deemed unreliable by public opinion.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
We'll have to wait until what 18 months from November or December until the 9 and 10 speeds come out. That ZF8 speed is pretty impressive. I can only imagine how much better that 10 speed will be especially if it has a lower 1st gear.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Interesting, I've never thought that 1st gear was too high.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Beechkid
A couple relatives of have the newer trucks with the 6 (Ford) & 8 (dodge) speed autos....both said the same thing.....they don't plan on keeping their trucks for a long duration (compared to the previous trucks they kept for 10-15 years) because (Ford guy) believes the repair/maintenance costs will be much higher with longer down times for repairs (technology, parts availability & troubleshooting) and the Dodge guy....well, he & his wife both hate the 8 speed tranny...the constant shifting is driving them out of their mind! This also really makes me wonder how long these tranny's will last (as compared to the 4 speed autos) if they are constantly shifting....we will just have to wait and see IMHO...............but I think I see a lot of valve body & possible clutch disc replacements down the road.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Interesting take. I suppose no technology is truly "proven" until it's been multiple decades, but the EcoBoost has been out for five years now, and I don't think it's been deemed unreliable by public opinion.
Take a peek at these threads.....I think some doubt may be in the winds...........

Ford Sued Over EcoBoost Design Problems, Engine Flaws

In Wake Of Lawsuits, NHTSA Investigates Ford EcoBoost Engine

also one of the known issues with direct injection is excessive carbon buildup......hopefully the engineers have successfully addressed this....we'll just have to wait and see on this as well...............

But with regards to much of the euro built cars, the verdict is out....

Ask An Engineer: GDI Problems In A Nutshell - The Truth About Cars

"Even more alarming is that these deposits can dislodge and damage other downstream components (turbochargers, catalytic converters, etc.). " and "The reason these issues have slipped through to production is that they won’t show up in a 500,000 mile torture test. These types of issues will appear after years of short trips (preventing the engine from reaching operating temperature), bad batches of fuel, etc"

Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
Take a peek at these threads.....I think some doubt may be in the winds...........

Ford Sued Over EcoBoost Design Problems, Engine Flaws

In Wake Of Lawsuits, NHTSA Investigates Ford EcoBoost Engine

also one of the known issues with direct injection is excessive carbon buildup......hopefully the engineers have successfully addressed this....we'll just have to wait and see on this as well...............

But with regards to much of the euro built cars, the verdict is out....

Ask An Engineer: GDI Problems In A Nutshell - The Truth About Cars

"Even more alarming is that these deposits can dislodge and damage other downstream components (turbochargers, catalytic converters, etc.). " and "The reason these issues have slipped through to production is that they won’t show up in a 500,000 mile torture test. These types of issues will appear after years of short trips (preventing the engine from reaching operating temperature), bad batches of fuel, etc"

You haven't unearthed any info that we already haven't discussed and fought over in great detail. There are over 400,000 3.5L EB's on the road and tens of thousands more 2.0L EB's in the small SUV and the sedan world. The NHTSA report sites the same 95 complaints that have been in existence for a couple of years now.

I want someone to show me actual numbers or percentages of failed or misfiring 3.5L engines. I'm not sipping the koolaid, there are issues and real concerns surrounding the EB program but, I'm not convinced that it's as wide spread as the internet makes it seem.

I drive my truck pretty hard which is how all ecoboost owners should be driving theirs and I'm creeping up on 44K trouble free miles, knock on wood.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by tseekins
You haven't unearthed any info that we already haven't discussed and fought over in great detail. There are over 400,000 3.5L EB's on the road and tens of thousands more 2.0L EB's in the small SUV and the sedan world. The NHTSA report sites the same 95 complaints that have been in existence for a couple of years now.

I want someone to show me actual numbers or percentages of failed or misfiring 3.5L engines. I'm not sipping the koolaid, there are issues and real concerns surrounding the EB program but, I'm not convinced that it's as wide spread as the internet makes it seem.

I drive my truck pretty hard which is how all ecoboost owners should be driving theirs and I'm creeping up on 44K trouble free miles, knock on wood.
I completely agree......much of the external influences I'm sure have to do with regional weather specific conditions and actual use....which regardless of how many miles something is tested (pre-production), as I know you have also stated.....the real world can be different.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:23 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what you're on the fence about? Brand (Ford), engine,....? If you are on the fence as to it being a Ford or the new technology, jump off the fence and get one, IMHO, you will not be disapointed, if it's engine choice, go drive the different offerings and decide what best suits your needs / wants. That would be the only thing for me to decide, engine choice.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 Opinion