Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

Should I "restore" my F-150

Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 AM
oldtruck36
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I "restore" my F-150

Hey Experts,

I want some opinions on a project I'm considering. Should "restore" my 1995 f-150 iL-6 4.9L 4-speed automatic, or give up on trying to make it a respectable ride/ trade it in/ sell it? I'd love to put the time in, yet I know I could use my resources towards different things. Lets ignore the more philosophical debate on a project like this, i.e enjoyment, fulfilling experience, ect . I'm more concerned with would it be worth it financially?

Where to begin? I'll post a pic later but as far as the work I'm considering:

-The fenders are rusted out, I could cover them with fender-flares but I'm thinking of doing the body work (just to give you an idea of the severity of the rust line it can be covered by flares). If I were to do the body I would probably repaint it a different color completely (maybe a satin/ matte finish), as trying to match the original paint on each piece may be difficult due to UV fade ect. I've seen some rough photos on Craigslist with mismatched fenders, panels on trucks this generation.

-A few dents but over all I've seen much worse for the body, my drivers side door lock doesn't work (I mean the key port, I can lock and unluck it from inside)
- I'd like to add a modest lift kit, 3-6 inch max, the suspension is pretty shot over all. Thoughts on Nylon Spacers?

-Then there is the dreaded e4oD tranny. I've had it worked on, it took them 6 months to get it back (they didn't completely resolve the issues, I think they just gave up), and it still has issues. On a long highway trip, my tailgate will be drizzled in fluid, I'm assuming from the purge from transmission heat. It stalls often in reverse, I'd be reluctant to tow anything with it.

-The frame seems ok, rusty from the winter salts over the years. I like the truck, it has character and potential.

-Gas tank leaks so I can swap that. Leak seems to be coming from the straps.

-Powersteering fluid leaks from the pump

-Would also like to add a brush guard/ modified bumper with wench

I'd like to keep it for camping trips, hunting, maybe tow a boat (don't currently have a boat), and for 4wheeling on the trails. But I also don't want to pour a bunch of $$ into a dead-end/ waste of time. Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Anyone with knowledge of E4OD issues too? I've poured over ford truck enthusiasts e4od material. If this gets a green light I'll start an album for the project, I'm on a tight budget, so I'll ask for tips on where to find parts later.

Also it should be noted I'm not attempting to make this truck "mint" or show worthy.

Thanks all.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldtruck36
Hey Experts,

I'm more concerned with would it be worth it financially?
No. But... hardly any vehicle that's resurrected ever is. It all comes down to what you want to do with it, what it's worth to you to bring it to the condition you want it to be in.

Skimming over the things that need repair, without the lift, you're probably looking at sinking $2k into it, providing you don't find any frame rust-through, and provided you do all the work yourself, including spraying the paint. Satin or matte black, or even one of those rustoleum jobs you see every now and then would be a good idea for your intended use of the truck, and that will save you a ton of money.

If you've owned the truck for a while, and know that it's reliable, with the exception of the trans issue, it may be worth putting some money into. That being said, there's literally tons of trucks on craigslist in southern states that are in good condition body wise, but need some mechanical repair. Most I've seen are listed for less than $2k, some less than $1k.

I hate doing body work, and rust repair. If it were me, I'd probably search for a rust free truck that needs some mechanical repairs.