2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

07 Expy - hlp w/ max weight for TT/Tow pkg/Reese Brakeman (thx)

Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM
kooka7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Expy - hlp w/ max weight for TT/Tow pkg/Reese Brakeman (thx)

Hi All, I hope you are well.

We are currently researching travel trailers and I am a bit stumped with regards to technical specifics of gross weight and trying to understand what I have installed already on the expy...and how to work it all out to see what weight is the maximum trailer we can look at.

I have a 2007 Ford Expedition Limited edition (fully loaded) if that means anything ?????

I have read various posts within different sections of the forum and if this should belong to another section, admins please move.

I have been able so far from stickers been able to obtain the following information off the expy, so hope this information helps. If there is other info you need to help me, let me know what and where I can find it as I have no real clue LOL! (yes I'm a new expy owner, from a landrover which I knew like the back of my hand!):

------------------------------------------
Manufacturers sticker on rear drivers door
------------------------------------------
GVWR:7700LB / 3493kg
Front GAWR - 1610kg
PNBE AV - 3550lb

REAR GAWR - 1928KG
PNBE AR - 4250LB

TYRE SIZE 275X 55R20
RIMS - 20X8.5

---------------------------------------------------
(YELLOW STICKER) TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 701kg/1547lbs.

CLASS IV HITCH
MAX GROSS TRLR WT (LB) 9200
MAX TONGUE WT (LB) 920
MAX GROSS TRLR WT (LB) - WEIGHT CARRYING - 6000
MAX TONGUE WT (LB) - WEIGHT CARRYING 600

-----------------------

I have TWO trailer plugs. I have the option of EITHER a 4 pin rectangular plug, OR, a round plug.

Q/ is the round plug refered to as 7 pin? it has 7 prongs as such??

-----------------------

In the drivers side along the rhs bottom underdash area (where your knee kinda is) I have a small black "BRAKEMAN COMPACT" installed with "REESE" branding. I believe it is some form of braking monitoring type system as it was operating on a standard trailer hubby hired when we bought the kids an outdoor playset etc.. I don't know how this plays into a travel trailer, anyone heard of this brand, where they sit in the market place? I'll be googling it but appreciate anyones comments/feedback.

----------------------

Next to that I have an 8 pin rectangular plug, was wondering whether that was for hooking up diagnostic equipment??
--------------------------

Whilst we have a few options available, I would like to exhaust the avenue of utilising the expy and seeing what is the maximum we can load and what is available out in the market place for the 7 of us. Kids are tiny takers at this stage but cognisant that they will grow as will their weight and belongings!

I am not keen on taking the expy to anyone ford authorised given the last debacle (in a prev post).

I understand there is a bit of information to go through. I have always camped out in bush back in AU for between 6-8 weeks at a time in tents at the peak of an aussie summer since I could walk and that was a loooooooooooooooooong time ago .... so something with this set up is new to me. However your camping/glamping is done... getting back to basics with the fam is what it's all about )

btw - we were considering either a:
2015 Jayco EAGLE 314TSBH
OR
2013 COACHMEN FREEDOM EXPRESS 312BHDS

these were only selected due to the bunkhouse configuration at the back to fit the 5 kids and put a curtain (or concertina door) to separate the boys (3) from the girls (2) later in teen years!

I feel that these may be over the limit combining weight of occupants/cargo... but not sure if we can get away with one of these and if there is any magic art to weight distribution within the trailer for cargo purposes, or, whether hubbby takes his FJ40 with cargo loaded and I drive the trailer/or, he drives the trailer and I the FJ40 type scenario....???? or, we get another truck to haul the travel trailer in lieu of the expy *gasp*???? (I do luv the expy don't get me wrong it suits my needs down to a T between the kindy/school/grocery/outing/church arena - yes I drive my kids to kindy/school)

I am finding not many manufacturers out there cater to larger families vehicle wise where you can still haul a sizeable travel trailer...... just as well us parents don't have two head on our shoulders otherwise we'd be buggered! pffft....

I am also looking at getting one of the sway stabilizer hitch bars installed also (not sure if that's the terminology) so am cognisant that would add to the weight. Not sure who manufacturers them, so any suggestions on that front would also be appreciated....

Appreciate the help, comments, feedback, suggestions.... ... it's a long process to research and get it right... we would like to get it right... so really appreciate the insight from you folk who have already exhausted that avenue with 5 kids + 2 adults...

Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 AM
kooka7
New User
I've since been on to the reese prod.com website with the following link:
http://www.reeseprod.com/support/cat...s-Controls.pdf

and have ascertained that the model no installed is:

BRAKEMAN®
COMPACT • 1 & 2 axle trailers
• Illuminated LED output indicator
• Slide adjustment output control
• Plug & Play feature allows quick and easy connection
• 5 year limited warranty
Part No. Description Packaging
83501 Brakeman® Compact Electronic Brake
Control
Clam - Reese

Are these brake controllers any good? I have so not got a clue where they sit in the industry and even if they are applicable for hauling a travel trailer so appreciate those more experienced to provide some input pls...

thx again...

k7

Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM
ecyrbh
Senior User
I tow a 2014 Jayco 267BHS...it's somewhere around 5300 lbs...My Expy is an 08 and granted I'm pushing my GVW a little at 9200 total,It tows it right on long( however,not in overdrive) at 70 mph and 2800-3000 rpms...Fuel mileage is around 8-12 depending on grades and traffic..I do have an SCT tuner from 5Star and I monitor engine,trans,and cylinder head temps with a ScanGauge while towing....Nothing beats towing a large brick down the road at 70...HaHa".......Oh I almost forgot,....Do yourself a big favor,and ditch the Reese and get a Hensley Arrow hitch...I did and I LOVE IT!!!!