What's the most idiotic thing you've been told about excursions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh, yeah, Another one.

"That thing can't tow much with a gas engine."

"My Dodge Hemi can out pull and out tow yours any day." (I think some folks with a Dodge hemi think it is the baddest thing in the world)

Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by housedad
Oh, yeah, Another one.

"That thing can't tow much with a gas engine."

"My Dodge Hemi can out pull and out tow yours any day." (I think some folks with a Dodge hemi think it is the baddest thing in the world)
I get sick of hearing "hemi and allison" like just because it has a cool name makes it better.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
When I was looking at snowplows a long time ago, (which I did not get, thankfully) I was talking to a sales guy at a BOSS plow dealer. I was ready to buy that day.

He told me flat out that there was no way that a plow would fit the Excursion. It had a totally different frame and suspension up front and nothing would fit.

When I told him that the Excursion had the same front frame and everything else as the F250, and mine had F450 (V code) springs on it, he outright called me a liar and that I did not know what I was talking about. That the Ex could NOT take F250 springs. HA!!!

That is when I asked him if he was a automotive engineer with full knowledge of the Ex, and he said He KNEW all about the Excursion, that it was just a Expedition with a bigger body.

I told him to shove it up his ignorant dark place, and left. The clown blew a $3000 or more sale because he was too stupid to know better. He had a attitude and a half, too..

It's too bad you had an experience like that at a dealer. I sell BOSS plows and use one myself and we have installed a few on Excursions over the years, along with Broncos and Expeditions without issue he apparently did not know his butt from a hole in the ground.

I actaully have a super duty plow mount waiting to go on my Excursion. Figured it would be good to have backup just incase my f-250 goes down.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 AM
mr.noodi
Senior User
Guy .. dude is that truck got v12 engine
Me .. yes
Guy .. is it fast
Me .. I did 190mph
Guy .. damn that fast
Me .. yes it is

Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
It had a totally different frame and suspension up front and nothing would fit.
...but it does have a different frame (rest of it?) than the 250/350, so he was kind of right in that respect.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
...but it does have a different frame than the 250/350, so he was right in that respect.
But anything that will mount to a same year Super Duty will mount on an Ex.

Much like the Bronco had a same (front section) but different frame then a f-150, or Expedition to F-150, or Explorer and Ranger.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
But anything that will mount to a same year Super Duty will mount on an Ex.

Much like the Bronco had a same (front section) but different frame then a f-150, or Expedition to F-150, or Explorer and Ranger.
Oh yea, if it only needs to go to the 8 bolts at the bumper, the dimensions are the same...if for some reason it needed to also go further back the frames are thicker (not metal thickness, the actual width of the frame)...but I don't know of anything that would bolt up that far back.

Shows what one small bit of info can do to make someone believe something is completely incompatible!

Old 07-10-2014, 12:50 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Oh yea, if it only needs to go to the 8 bolts at the bumper, the dimensions are the same...if for some reason it needed to also go further back the frames are thicker (not metal thickness, the actual width of the frame)...but I don't know of anything that would bolt up that far back.

Shows what one small bit of info can do to make someone believe something is completely incompatible!

A BOSS plow mount you have to drill 12 holes if memory serves me correct on a 99-07 Super duty. This is all exactly the same on the Excursion back to the shock mounts, and i'm betting its all the same until the changes under the rear doors.

Like i've said we've put plows on Ex's before and it was no different of an install then a Super Duty.

I grabbed this pic off google

Old 07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
sr23
Junior User
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
A BOSS plow mount you have to drill 12 holes if memory serves me correct on a 99-07 Super duty. This is all exactly the same on the Excursion back to the shock mounts, and i'm betting its all the same until the changes under the rear doors.

Like i've said we've put plows on Ex's before and it was no different of an install then a Super Duty.

I grabbed this pic off google

I've seen my fair share of exs with plows. Personally, I wouldn't choose an ex for a plow rig, but it can be done.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by sr23
I've seen my fair share of exs with plows. Personally, I wouldn't choose an ex for a plow rig, but it can be done.
After a night of plowing in my Regular cab i would gladly take the extra space but overall (reg cab long bed) same length truck. If/when i do install my plow mount and harness it would only be used in emergency situations if my f-250 goes down.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I used to work with a guy who claimed his 02 Chevy half ton with 8" lift and solid axle conversion with 38" tires would out-pull my X! A 30k pound recovery strap, 5 minutes and all our co-workers witnessing while his rear end exploded as I was dragging him backwards at about 15 mph! Looking back, I wish I wouldn't have done it.....who knows how many miles that took off the X!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy67
, I wish I wouldn't have done it.....who knows how many miles that took off the X!
I'm guessing if you dragged him a few feet, the answer would be zero!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 PM
rflegal
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont get many comments anymore around here, there are a good many ex's here in Four Corners in New Mexico.

Folks do get negative when I have to take two transactions at the pump to fill her up though.

But what I do love is the gaping mouths and stares of all the chevy pickup owners at Lowes or Home Depot as I load 6 sheets of 3/4" 4X8 plywood, a half dozen ten foot 2X4s and some 10' conduit in the back, closing the gate on everything just as the rain kicks in and all their stuff is hanging out of their bed and geting soaked...

Priceless!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Az_Ray
Senior User
More than once I've had the typical "what's it get like 8mpg's"
To which I reply "Nope, average 16"

Had a guy tell me tonight "I wouldn't drive anything that got that s****y of gas mileage"

People just understand that we will drive them because we can and we enjoy it. Plain and simple.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 AM
tims01
Elder User
i get asked how much it cost me to have that motor put in when they head the rumble of my 7.3 .. granted i have these emblimbs on my truck

Quick Reply: What's the most idiotic thing you've been told about excursions