2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank with no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 07:02 PM
Spentkarma9
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank with no start

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3V truck. I have replaced the battery, camshaft position sensors, the fuel filter, the fuel pump driver module and the fuel pump twice now. I checked and made sure the fuel pump relay is delivering the right voltage under load. I have the right voltage at the pump when it should run. The fuel pump will run however not enough pressure to even pump gas to the fuel filter. (I remover the hose to the fuel filter to see if any fuel would squirt out, none) I can only guess that the fuel pump has gone bad again. My question is this: What could be causing my fuel pump to go out? I Replaced the fuel pump with the second pump on Sun (12/10) drove about 30 miles, then it had a hard time starting. it started up, drove around then the morning also had a hard time starting but started. Went to work, left, Tuesday morning also had a hard time starting, got it running and drove to work. Now I'm stranded at work with it not starting.
Additionally, I can get it to run for a short amount of time if I spray starting fluid in the intake with the filter removed.

Last edited by Spentkarma9; 12-12-2023 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-12-2023, 11:29 PM
BossHog39
Trailering
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
all of that being changed I will say check the fuel rail pressure switch it is what tells the PCM what the pressure is and relays that to the fuel pump driver module then the module by PWM Pulse width modulation controls the fuel pump. Basically put the driver module turns the pump into a variable speed (RPM) pump so the pressure is controlled by pump RPM's If that switch is bad or reading incorrectly that could be your problem that's the only thing at this time that pops in my head. easy to replace its on driver side fuel rail towards front of engine also make sure the vacuum line going to it is not broken

Last edited by BossHog39; 12-12-2023 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:55 AM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts
Are you replacing the whole fuel pump assembly . Since you replaced fpdm module it should be good but new does not mean good . There are problems with gasket on fpdm connector ,it can be rolled and push it back apart .
Its good to see you pulled connection off filter to get a flow indication . Thats your key to fixing the loss of fuel . I had to change fuel pump and we had a terrible time with the nylon fuel line to fuel filter ,in short we had to build our own from rescue parts . I think I had to use three kits to mimic factory line ,we could not get the bends factory had in it . But with epoxy and tywraps glued to tywrap pads we got it to stay in tank groove .
You need to check the ground on the axle back there , clean the connection . Use a test light to see if power and ground getting to pump connector . The fpdm switches the ground on/off to fuel pump ,I will send you the diagram and the temp test to bring on pump .

You can jump 2 to 3 to bring on pump . Which is a ground .

Let us know how it goes .

Old 12-14-2023, 01:30 PM
getterdun1
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
With two bad pumps and no fuel getting to the inline fuel filter, my first thought is trash in the gas tank is stopping up the fuel pump filter. But before checking that I would carefully examine the wiring and connector at the FPDM. Others have found this to be the problem.

After that I'd further test the fuel pump by straight wiring it to the battery. I'd run a wire from the positive battery terminal directly to #4 in the connector and a ground wire directly from the battery negative terminal to #2 in the connector. If I could hear the fuel pump running, then I'd check for debris in the gas tank.

To do this I'd use a plastic hose with a weight on the end and siphon about a half gallon from the bottom of the tank.

Hope you find the problem soon as I know how frustrated you must be after all your effort.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:50 PM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 165 Likes on 144 Posts
Pumps fail if not cooled by gas in tank -low fuel . If you are just replacing pump with a cheap one that could be it . Or your wiring suspect . You can't use any fuel line in tank that is not rated for immersion -it will break down and leak.
Rebuilding the unit can cause problems , there are many connections on tank that you may have messed up . Most of us cut the vent line going to the rear then splice it back . Tank hard to work on unless you get it out from under truck take the main fuel line off filter. Get all the gas out of it ,its just to bulky to handle . Look for kinked lines . Check axle ground -clean it . Put ten gallons in it before putting pump back on to pump . It needs fuel to cool it . Clean all connectors . Use your test light to see if pump getting full power . Key on will bring pump on for a few seconds . Should be plenty of gas to catch at filter . The fpdm switches the ground to the fuel pump ,positve 12vdc is there always with key on . Jumpering 2-3 for test puts ground on it full time . PUMP ON! You could have a broken wire or connector .
it's not normal to have trash in fuel tank ,its plastic not metal . Fuel module lock ring may need grease to get it to lock on ,mine was a bear . Trash in tank may indicate a bad gasket at lock ring . that will also fail a vacuum test of tank that pcm does for emissions testing .
You definitely have a pump /pressure issue if low flow before filter , you should change whole pump assembly if you cant find your problem If it fails jumper test . -there is a filter and check valve on it . Changing that pump is a pain dropping tank . Lots to break in tight areas you can't see much .