Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What if...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
True that: "Death wobble from coil sprung front suspension"
My van is fitted with a 2007 F350/F250 coil Dana 60 front axle/suspension. After spending $3000 with the 4x4 converter to cure my DW. I finally researched it myself and cured it with dual opposing gas pressurized shocks as a steering stabilizer. The solid axle/ coil front suspension is prone to DW. Not all of them have it. But when you have one that DW's you know it. I read somewhere that the 7.3L sold more units that the Duramax and Cummins combined. So, there will likely be a supporting aftermarket for some years to come.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
right now, the systems available that will not reduce horsepower are in still in the $20,000 range. When and if this cost comes down to under $5,000, I'm gonna finally lite the fuse to my buckszooka, and y'all will definitely hear the blast.

Is it ironic that a 6.7 engine costs 18,000$ from a dealer?

I would hope a 20,000$ or even 5000$ after treatment system would work better than stock.
How does the filter system work? Do you have a link to the particular model you were looking at?
I often wondered; Why not just cool the exhaust down, use a washable filter media, and use DEF ? Wouldn't that be easier than "regen" systems?

I saw the after treatment unit for a small ship once, and it was as big as a garden shed.

What is a 7.3 going to burn for DEF, without any EGR at all? Like is it insane? I thought EGR reduced the amount of DEF needed?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Do you have a link to the particular model you were looking at?
I don't have a link to the one I described earlier, where the filter media is removed from the truck to clean. That link is in a different computer.

But here is a link to the Donaldson LNF and LXF retrofit after treatment systems. There are a lot more than these, but this will get you started...

http://www.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/...ary/063967.pdf

Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I was reading up on the DPF, and this is the part that kills the alternative fuel option. B20 would be max for the 7.3L with the "upgraded" emission technology of today.

Water intrusion in the fuel my ****. I have a clear housing on my pre-filter, I rebuilt my fuel bowl three years ago, and I checked the bottom of my fuel tank when I did the Hutch mod. With all that, I found 2 or 3 droplets of water in the bottom of the tank.

Maybe the "water" intrusion is their way of saying "Stop putting DEF in the fuel fill spout!"... maybe not.

Tim Hodgson - I put the question over there. [LINK]

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I don't have a link to the one I described earlier, where the filter media is removed from the truck to clean. That link is in a different computer.

But here is a link to the Donaldson LNF and LXF retrofit after treatment systems. There are a lot more than these, but this will get you started...

http://www.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/...ary/063967.pdf
Thats really neat, sure not many prerequisites to make it work.
Definitely looks superior to what comes on pickup trucks so far.

Since you've been looking into it, would it be legal to tune a 6.4, or 6.7, remove emissions stuff, put the aftermarket exhaust treatment on, and pass emissions testing?

I think of so many 6.4 truck guys, the only option is to tune the thing, but lots of people live where you can't do that. Another option might be nice. And even if it cost 5000$, trading an otherwise decent truck will cost you a ton of cash, so another option like this might work.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Note: When you click on Tugly's LINK to the 6.7 forum make sure you refresh that page once it is open so you can see the new comments. There are quite a few.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM
River19
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Note: When you click on Tugly's LINK to the 6.7 forum make sure you refresh that page once it is open so you can see the new comments. There are quite a few.
And it is going as you would expect in a 6.7L forum.....

Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

All this to say just because the engine has the capability to lathe tires, that doesn't mean I automatically lose all my dependability. Many of my woes have been self-inflicted, while I learned the truck and tried to do as much of my own work as I am capable of. I may now have my truck stabilized, but I could undo that by taking Stinky to the track.

If your truck can't handle a trip to the track it sure doesn't sound very "dependable"

Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only people that I can imagine wouldn't take the 6.7 are the ones that haven't driven one.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 PM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by clux
The only people that I can imagine wouldn't take the 6.7 are the ones that haven't driven one.
Driven one, loved the ride and the interior....did not like that I was driving it back from the dealership for one of many trips with my buddy who has sunk a mint into that thing in just 20K miles he's had it (88K on the clock now).

No doubt when they are working they are awesome rigs.....which we can say about many trucks.

I'll stick with my truck and non-payment for now. Based on how the EPA requirements have rendered the newer diesels a wee bit finicky I would take the same ride and interior of a newer f250 with probably a gas engine if I needed something new.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:18 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by River19
Driven one, loved the ride and the interior....did not like that I was driving it back from the dealership for one of many trips with my buddy who has sunk a mint into that thing in just 20K miles he's had it (88K on the clock now).

No doubt when they are working they are awesome rigs.....which we can say about many trucks.

I'll stick with my truck and non-payment for now. Based on how the EPA requirements have rendered the newer diesels a wee bit finicky I would take the same ride and interior of a newer f250 with probably a gas engine if I needed something new.
But that's not the scenario. The scenario is you're paying the same price for a new 6.7 or a time traveling "new" 7.3.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by clux
But that's not the scenario. The scenario is you're paying the same price for a new 6.7 or a time traveling "new" 7.3.
Sorry, I blew past the time machine thing a couple days ago and got lost in reality for a second.....

In reality, with a time machine, I wouldn't say "yes" when my wife was thinking about getting a horse again and I'd probably be driving some sweet little classic car with a nice off road rig for the bird dogs....but I digress.....

Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Sorry, I blew past the time machine thing a couple days ago and got lost in reality for a second.....

In reality, with a time machine, I wouldn't say "yes" when my wife was thinking about getting a horse again and I'd probably be driving some sweet little classic car with a nice off road rig for the bird dogs....but I digress.....
I hear ya.

If I had a time machine, traveling back in time to buy a new 7.3 wouldn't even make the top 1000 things on the to do list.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

And it is going as you would expect in a 6.7L forum.....
True, but the thread has only drawn out a few of the big chiclet members so far.

The posts which acknowledge that the 7.3L is so reliable because it is underpowered is something I heard years ago. So it is interesting to see power vs reliability being discussed as a tradeoff.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 PM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
True, but the thread has only drawn out a few of the big chiclet members so far.

The posts which acknowledge that the 7.3L is so reliable because it is underpowered is something I heard years ago. So it is interesting to see power vs reliability being discussed as a tradeoff.
Which is an interesting discussion.

Obviously based on my many posts on this topic (hey I'm going on vacation next week and mentally I was done with work this week what can I say) I would fall on the "what good is a more power if there is an increased chance of being stranded".

here's where I am coming from.....I tow horses for my wife and her Dressage Queen barn-mates (lovely people.....but stories for another time); there isn't a horse trailer I can't tow comfortably with my current rig, so I'm not needing more power honestly. But on the flip side, my worst case scenario is being stranded on the side of a highway in 90 degree heat and humidity with live animals in the back and screaming women in the front....it would be like the gates of hell opened. Therefore, I don't want anymore goofy sensors other than our CPS putting me in that situation. If someone farts wrong near the fuel system in certain 6.7s it goes into limp and stop mode and you are at the mercy of a stealership jockey. Eff that.

And I'm not paying $50K+ or $600/mo+ for the privilege.

That of course is me stuck in reality and not the time machine.....so back to the Tugly Delorean......Mr. Fusion just needed some beer and carrots. :-)

Quick Reply: What if...