1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 F250 CC LB FX4 - need rotors and pads - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:02 AM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F250 CC LB FX4 - need rotors and pads - HELP!

My 2005 F250 FX4 CC LB 5.4 gas needs front and rear pads and rotors. I don't want to skimp, but I can't afford to go with the ART or other high-end rotors right now. I'm looking for a high quality setup - not interested in the cheap stuff. The truck is huge and I want heavy duty braking performance, as I do tow an open car trailer occasionally.

Rock Auto seems to have some really good prices on heavy duty components. Anyone have any experience with this particular item? It is a set of 4 Power Stop rotors ( zinc-plated, cross-drilled and slotted ) and Power Stop Z36 Extreme Truck & Tow Pads. Part number is K178236 and price is $475.79, which is a lot less expensive than I'm seeing in the local stores ( Advance Auto, AutoZone ). Below is the link to the description:

More Information for POWER STOP K178236

I don't "need" the cross-drilled and slotted feature...but this is the only 4-wheel package they sell. The zinc-plating does seem like a good idea to me, as my current rotors are pretty scaled up with rust.

The low price at Rock Auto doesn't scare me, as I just bought a steering box from them for $305 that was over $550 at the local stores for the exact same part. I'm hoping that the rotors in the link above are "good stuff".

I know NAPA sells good stuff but they are closed today ( July 4th ), so I can't check on their pricing at the moment.

I've also looked at Summit Racing and they have EBC front rotors for $108 each and EBC rears for $160 each. They also have Stop Tech slotted rears for $138 each. Summit also carries Hawk pads which seem to be pretty well regarded. Their LTS pads are $97 for fronts and $84 for rears. So at Summit I'd be spending about $675 for EBC front rotors, Stop Tech rear rotors and Hawk LTS pads front and rear. I've bought tons of things from Summit in the past and their service has always been top notch. Usually my parts are delivered in 2 days.

Any advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. My truck also needs front upper and lower ball joints on both sides, as well as a passenger outer tie rod ( the lower one ). It looks like Summit has the best prices on those ( Moog parts ), so I'll probably get them there. My point is, money is flying out the door at the moment, so every dollar counts. If I hear the brake parts sold by Rock Auto are high quality, I think I'll go that route. But any help you folks can offer would be great.

Thanks!

Ron

Old 07-05-2014, 09:42 AM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
I'm calling NAPA today to see what they stock since their website isn't working for me. But yesterday I came across some Raybestos Rotors at Rock Auto. Part number 680280 for the fronts and 680394 for the rears. They coated so they'll never rust. $74 each for the fronts and $76 each for the rears isn't too bad. Here's a link with a description...

More Information for RAYBESTOS 680280

Anyone have experience with Raybestos?

I also found the same rotors at Summit Racing...price is a little higher, but is more than offset by the free shipping. If these Raybestos rotors check out I will probably get the whole she-bang from Summit. I found them at Summit just using the part number...not by entering my truck info. And the "application" area on the summit website doesn't exist for this part number...kinda weird that they didn't show up when going thru the usual make-year-model menu method.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-680280

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-680394

Old 07-05-2014, 11:37 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The drilled and slotted rotors will help a lot more than you realize, they dissipate heat a lot quicker, a heavy truck at normal speeds and no towing under normal conditions generate a lot of heat. If you can afford the drilled and slotted rotors, go for them. Also try Autoanything, they have good prices on brakes. I hear Hawk pads are good, never had any experience with those. I ran EBC on my half ton truck with great results.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:09 PM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
Thanks for the help Mitch. My main concern is I've never heard of PowerStop before, so I don't know if their slotted & cross-drilled stuff is high-quality. The same goes for their pads. I've heard that cheap cross drilled rotors can suffer stress cracks. So without a great endorsement from someone I probably won't go that route. I have heard of Raybestos before - and most of it was good things.

I did call NAPA earlier and they seem to carry their version of the Raybestos rotors I noted above. The last 6 digits of the part numbers were identical. The NAPA price was a little more than summit, plus I'd have to pay sales tax. So Summit seems to be in the lead for the moment since they ship for free and have everything in stock.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:15 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Thanks for the help Mitch. My main concern is I've never heard of PowerStop before, so I don't know if their slotted & cross-drilled stuff is high-quality. The same goes for their pads. I've heard that cheap cross drilled rotors can suffer stress cracks. So without a great endorsement from someone I probably won't go that route. I have heard of Raybestos before - and most of it was good things.

I did call NAPA earlier and they seem to carry their version of the Raybestos rotors I noted above. The last 6 digits of the part numbers were identical. The NAPA price was a little more than summit, plus I'd have to pay sales tax. So Summit seems to be in the lead for the moment since they ship for free and have everything in stock.
I haven't had any dealings with power stop, or new anyone that has. I used EBC on the half ton that I just traded, they were really good quality. I can be pretty "aggressive" driving, and I never had any fade. As far as local parts suppliers, if I can wait, I usually purchase online, always cheaper for the same or better quality products. Let me know what you end up with and how well they perform.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:00 PM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
Well, I just pulled the trigger on my order with Summit. Everything is in stock, so I should have it by Wednesday, and have the truck back on the road by Thursday or Friday. Here's my order... These parts were a LOT more expensive thru the local stores. The ball joints and tie rod end were more than DOUBLE this price at Advance / Auto Zone.

2 Raybestos front rotors - 680280 - $83.97 each
2 Raybestos rear rotors - 680394 - $84.97 each
Hawk LTS front pads - HB528Y.811 - $97.01
Hawk LTS rear pads - HB529Y.710 - $83.95
2 Moog Upper Ball Joints - K80026 - $27.97 each
2 Moog Lower Ball Joints - K8607T - $43.97 each
1 Moog Passenger Tie Rod - ES80755 - $72.97

Grand total - $735.69 shipped

Hopefully I get the truck back on the road soon, as I will need to trailer my '66 Mustang home from the engine installer / tuner in the next 10 days or so. :-)

I'll let everyone know about the fit/finish/driving impressions of these parts once they're installed.

Thanks again Mitch for your input!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 PM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
Well all my parts arrived today - gotta love Summit! Also had to get some parts from Advance Auto - rear backing plates, e-brake shoes and hardware, and axle seals. Definitely a rough few weeks for the wallet! ( I pit in a new steering box last week as well ) But I'm definitely looking forward to driving it this weekend and hopefully towing with it next week.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:03 PM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
Jeez - found out today that the inner and outer rear axle bearings are badly worn...so guess what I'm picking up tomorrow?? There goes another $130... UGH!!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Jeez - found out today that the inner and outer rear axle bearings are badly worn...so guess what I'm picking up tomorrow?? There goes another $130... UGH!!
I feel your pain, getting off topic a little, I purchased a new 250 last week, someone backed into it Sunday evening, $1,022 to repair.(don't know who hit the truck, it was in a store parking lot). My daughter's Mini had issues, had to take it to the dealership, that was $1,380, on the way back from the dealership with it, which was in Baton Rouge, La. (2hours from my home) someone slung a rock into my wife's Range Rover Sport, that is a heated windshield, cost to replace, $700. So..... at least you should have no more issues, about the only thing you aren't replacing it seems is the driveshaft!!! Good luck, sometimes you just have to laugh, or go completely insane!