6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Getting a shutter

Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
yasky69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a shutter

2003 Dually 6.0 134K, last oil and fuel filter service at 115K which was just over a year ago.

Lately I've been getting this kind of shutter anywhere's between 50 and 65 mph. If I floor it or get to a highway speed it goes away. I don't think its tranny related. Low speeds its fine.

I'm wondering if its either because an oil change is due or maybe fuel filter related?

Old 06-11-2014, 04:42 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yasky69
2003 Dually 6.0 134K, last oil and fuel filter service at 115K which was just over a year ago.

Lately I've been getting this kind of shutter anywhere's between 50 and 65 mph. If I floor it or get to a highway speed it goes away. I don't think its tranny related. Low speeds its fine.

I'm wondering if its either because an oil change is due or maybe fuel filter related?
So you haven't changed the oil in 19K miles? You need to change it at no more than 7500 miles and most here do it on 5000 mile intervals. Are you using OEM oil/fuel and air filters with the OEM oil filter cap? and have you had the codes read? Here is a video showing the difference between OEM and aftermarket filters,

Old 06-11-2014, 05:10 PM
yasky69
Senior User
Just checked it with the scanner and didn't have any codes.

All filters used are only OEM, along with the oil is what's recommended by Ford

Old 06-11-2014, 05:35 PM
22fordguy
Mountain Pass
Change oil and fuel filters. And if it persist have a cylinder balance done. I had a bad injector causeing the same issue chased it for a while finally took it to the dealer and was told number two injector was bad. bought new injector drove home replaced it and it was gone.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:04 PM
yasky69
Senior User
Oil and fuel filter changes didnt work. The next step ill try is a fuel additive to help clean the injectors. Ill try and search to see if I can test the injectors myself

Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Yup, I second the bad injector! Mine has ate two injectors in the 130k I've owned it. Both did this exact same thing.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:10 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Old 06-18-2014, 05:16 PM
wrxin
Elder User
I had a similar problem and it was the FICM. If you haven't fixed this yet, try the FICM voltage test.

And change your oil...

Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Mywoodshop69
Freshman User
As simple as it sounds, I'd go with more regular oil changes for sure. And I think it's going to take a couple to get your motor back on track. Try letting it have some nice synthetic now. (Rotella T6 comes to mind) I had the shuttering start up as well just as it would shift and lock into top gear. "Chug, chug, chug". Until it fully warmed up. Was upsetting. Thought it an FICM issue or maybe an injector on the go. It was.. From oil "stiction". Turns out I was near the end of the oil's cycle. Did the change and voilà , symptoms gone. Really, just like that.

My ride: 03' F350 SD 320,000km. And still goin strong.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 PM
yasky69
Senior User
Thanks for the help so far.

Been driving now for a week with it after oil, fuel filter change.
Been using Kleen as well.
EGR needed to be cleaned so that's done.

Bought a Scangauge 2 for it as well, just to have something. Not happy that when I added in some X-gauges the truck doesn't support them. A bit disappointing for the money spent. Anyways that's another issue.

Truck seems to be better but still no 100%.
No coolant loss

One thing I did notice is that sometimes when I floor it from a stop it bogs down and when it shifts into the next gear I get a puff of smoke.
More and more I'm thinking the injection system. Whether its FICM, coils,Stiction or an actual injector. So that's the direction I think I'll take.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Shutting down a "shudder" can be a pain in
the a**! The scangauge can save you $$$$$
if you know what to monitor.
You will **** away a ton of dough throwing parts
at her. Find a real 6.0 mechanic and get a diagnosis

Old 06-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a Scangauge 2 for it as well, just to have something. Not happy that when I added in some X-gauges the truck doesn't support them.
What X-gauges did you add that do not work?

Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 AM
yasky69
Senior User
Originally Posted by T diesel
Shutting down a "shudder" can be a pain in
the a**! The scangauge can save you $$$$$
if you know what to monitor.
You will **** away a ton of dough throwing parts
at her. Find a real 6.0 mechanic and get a diagnosis
So far the only money spent has been on the normal maint. stuff that I should have done a few thousand miles ago. You are right I should take to a 6.0 mechanic...however I am equipped to work on all my gas engines right here with a bunch of tools. We just put a tranny in a work van this week.
I'd rather spend some time learning about this 6.0 myself and get to know it better.

Originally Posted by Money-Pit
What X-gauges did you add that do not work?
Aside from it reading things like Volt, MAP, IAT, Coolant and Trip(BS) I was under the impression it would also read things like tranny temp.

I went on the scangauge website, printed out the codes for CANSF mode, tried the AFR codes and non would display. Next Ill try the 02 sensor voltages and see if those will work. Just expected it to give me more information.

The code reader is nice... which I already have one of those so that wasn't a big deal.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM
wrxin
Elder User
Autoenginuity will get you what you want I believe...

Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So far the only money spent has been on the normal maint. stuff that I should have done a few thousand miles ago. You are right I should take to a 6.0 mechanic...however I am equipped to work on all my gas engines right here with a bunch of tools. We just put a tranny in a work van this week.
I'd rather spend some time learning about this 6.0 myself and get to know it better.

Aside from it reading things like Volt, MAP, IAT, Coolant and Trip(BS) I was under the impression it would also read things like tranny temp.

I went on the scangauge website, printed out the codes for CANSF mode, tried the AFR codes and non would display. Next Ill try the 02 sensor voltages and see if those will work. Just expected it to give me more information.

The code reader is nice... which I already have one of those so that wasn't a big deal.
Scangauge will read trans temp among many others. There are a few threads on here that have to codes to put in. Maybe one of the gurus will get on and post a link to the tread--I'm not where I can search it right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting a shutter