1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 6.0, 5.4, Cummins 5.9 for daily driver. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM
malibulxi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ford 6.0, 5.4, Cummins 5.9 for daily driver. Help!

Ok, so I posted a thread yesterday about the F-250 5.4 and got some good feedback, now I want to pose a different question.

In addition to that F250 with the 5.4, I have also been giving serious consideration to the F250 with the 6.0 diesel and the Dodge with the 5.9 diesel.

My goal here is to have a decent daily vehicle that I will use as my service vehicle, in place of a van. I will be averaging 100-150 miles per day, normally on long open roads, then having the vehicle shut down for 1.5 hours at a time (on average) and at times I will be towing a small utility trailer to move boilers, oversize water heaters, outdoor A/C units for homes, etc. I will have about 800-1000 lbs in the bed of the truck, including a SpaceKap (or similar.)

Vehicles I am looking at:

2003 Ford F-250 regular cab, 4x4, V plow, with the 5.4 - 17,500 miles in great shape, but used for plowing in the winter in Maine. $14,500.

2005 Ford F-250 extended cab, 4x4, no plow, 6.0 diesel - 65,000 miles. Great shape, but has had some engine work done to it (EGR) $16,500.

And I am also considering the Dodge 2500 extended cab, 4x4, with the 5.9L diesel, but with the price range of $24k, I am looking at 100-120k miles on a 2005-2007.

I will be hauling up to a 38' camper trailer at 7-8,000#. (not sure if it will be a 5th wheel yet or not. Still debating that, but it will be in that lbs range)

Thoughts? Pros/Cons of each? What should I look for/at with each vehicle to help determine if it's a lemon or not?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
I vote hell no on all 3.

Do you plan on plowing with your service truck? If so thats a bad idea. Do you currently have a van? If so I'd keep it and buy a beater plow truck.

100-150 miles is a hell of a service area. I do HVAC and have about a 15-20 miles radius usually under 10.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM
malibulxi
New User
Originally Posted by redrivergorge
I vote hell no on all 3.

Do you plan on plowing with your service truck? If so thats a bad idea. Do you currently have a van? If so I'd keep it and buy a beater plow truck.

100-150 miles is a hell of a service area. I do HVAC and have about a 15-20 miles radius usually under 10.

My service area includes Central Maine and Northern NH. I also have a contract with a local home improvement box store that brings me around to those far out places...

I hate my van and I hate vans in general. I want a pickup truck with a SpaceKap type set up (pictured below)

I have a plow truck currently, but it's old and beat up. It's a 1997 Chevy K1500 with 122k miles, but it has seen much better days. The frame is rotted, but the plow is great and fairly new. It's a Minute Mount 2. I am going to use the truck to plow out my driveway and my two tenants driveways, but definitely not for commercial plowing.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
The same reason your current plow truck is rotted is the same reason you don't want to do that to your work truck. Its a plow truck beat that thing til it just won't go down the road anymore.

I picked the truck in my avatar up for 5k sure beats a cargo and a pick up for work.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:18 AM
malibulxi
New User
The same reason your current plow truck is rotted is the same reason you don't want to do that to your work truck. Its a plow truck beat that thing til it just won't go down the road anymore.

I picked the truck in my avatar up for 5k sure beats a cargo and a pick up for work.
When I first started out in the trade, the company I worked for gave me the truck you have as your avatar as my service vehicle. It sucked on gas, got maybe 10 mpg on a good day. With a smaller service area like yours, it's perfect. When you have to travel between two states and approx 35k miles per year, it becomes costly as a single man operation. I have a service van now, a Chevy Express, I don't like it and I don't want it. A friend of mine works for a company that has the SpaceKaps on their trucks and they are tickled pink.

Furthermore, the reason why my plow truck is rotted to hell is because the previous owner had a salter on it. He plowed and salted driveways as a business. I on the other hand, have a van that gets undercoated with the same stuff used on DOT plow trucks that I do every year. There is absolutely no rust on it and it has 183k on it. It's all about taking care of it and if I am plowing just my own driveway and my two tenants, I won't see any rust or rot.

Thanks for your feedback anyway.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
My choice would be the 6.0

I'd want a detailed report about this "engine work" it had.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A few things to remember when looking at the Fords...I cant speak for the Dodge never owned one.

I had an 03 F-250 with a 5.4 and 4.10 gears. That truck would pull anything I needed it to without a doubt, but it was a fuel hog at 8mpg no matter what I did or how I drove. If you go with the 5.4 or any gas motor for that matter don't be afraid to let it rev, that's what they like.

As for the 6.0, I wouldn't be afraid of that. The 05-up trucks get you some better equipment such as bigger brakes, better tranny, nicer interior, and IMHO they are the best looking SD's to ever come off the line. If you do go with the 6.0 take it to a competent 6.0 tech before buying it, pay to have it looked over, get an OASIS report on it and plan on spending some money to do a few mods that could save you a headache down the road.

Also keep in mind with any modern diesel, id say 03-newer that they aren't like the diesels of the past, the all require premium fluids, and maintenance. If you do get serious about the 6.0 come down to that forum and read through the tech folder, there is a nice write up by Bismic on what to look for when buying a 6.0.

People will tell you they are junk and stay away and blah blah blah, but I've had mine since 05, I use it to tow my 5th wheel which comes in at about 13k, and I can squeeze out around 13 or so mpg towing that. I'm sure I'm not the only guy here that has good luck with the 6.0, maintenance is the key to that I believe.

Lastly buy what you like, and what feels good to you, but keep in mind that the diesel will cost you more upfront and on the back end too if you count repair costs and maintenance. Before you buy be honest with yourself, if you don't see yourself towing real heavy a lot maybe the gas truck is the best choice for you. Keep an eye out for a v-10 truck too, they are a beast and pull great. If I were you I would be looking for something 05-newer in the Ford camp, just too many improvements to pass up.

Good luck, Hope that Helps.

Sarge

Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
In 2008 I compared identical built trucks from the Ford build your own site. 1 a V10 and 1 the Powerstroke. My spread sheet took into account oil changes @ 5k miles, all filter changes, plugs & cops, used 10 mpg for the V10 & 15 mpg for the 6.4, 25k miles a year. In 2008 diesel was still cheaper than gasoline. It took 10 years for the total cost to equal out. 6.4 was 8k more MSRP back then. I wish I still had that spread sheet. In my opinion the V10 is the bargain of them all. P.S. I ended up with a used V10.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same style E350 5.4. I have an F250 also but I prefer the box truck because it's so much easier and convenient. Espicaly in bad weather everything is locked up and dry.

I keep a beat 96 F250 just for doing my driveway.

Personally from experience avoid a used plow truck. They are all abused and beat to death. Even a low mileage plow truck. Odometers don't read under 5mph and in reverse.

You can get good deals on 6.0 trucks. With a little work they last, I saw one with 450,000 miles yesterday. Don't be scared off by everyone's bias 6.0 hatred.

My vote is the 6.0! 05+ sd trucks got much better transmissions, suspensions and a long list of upgrades from the 99-04 models.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My suggestion is to run away from the plow truck, that is a terrible idea to buy a used plow truck as a service vehicle.
You already want what you want so not going to waste my breath on that. But I'm confused as to why you are willing to spend $24K on a dodge but only $16K on a 6.0 truck? Doesn't make sense. Finalize your spending price and compare apples to apples. Then reduce the amount you can afford so that you can save some of it to make a couple repairs/mods that any of the diesel trucks will need. They each have their own Achilles heel that need attention.
For the record, no way in hell I'd buy a Dodge anything...

Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
You're needs point to a diesel. The 5.9 is the better motor... but personally I don't like the interiors prior to 2010. But if you can past that, they're fine. Or get a 6.0- but do the bulletproof diesel mods like EGR cooler and whatever else they recommend.

When I bought my 5.4, the truck next to it on the lot was a 6.0. I looked at the carfax and no owner kept it more than 2 years- that tells me it was probably a bad egg. The 5.4 was a one owner truck so I bought it. But I'm not using it like you will. I do lots of short trips and a gasser is better at that- warms up quick, less maintenance, etc. But I do get 9mpg...

Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I had a 2004 F150 and needed a heavier truck. I drove a 2005 F550 6.0 daily for work, and well, it was nothing but trouble (heavy equipment mechanic), granted it got tons of idle time. I'm a Ford guy that bought a 46k miles 2007 5.9 G56 Dodge. Left me sit at 49k when the CP3 died, clutch and tuner didn't agree, had to keep it on economy or it would slip. Lots (LOTS) of little **** from 46k to 64k. Sold it for under 2K less than I paid for it 3 years earlier, and couldn't be happier with my new 6.7. Great resale, that's about it, wife hated the truck and interior from day one. I don't have personal experience with the V10, but I'd certainly shy away from the 6.0's and anything Dodge. The 3V 5.4 in my F150 towed around 7K and did the job, but returned 7.2 MPG, and that was part of why I ditched it.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 PM
shot93
Freshman User
I currently have an 08 f250 with the 5.4. I don't tow much anymore, a 7200 lb camper a few times per year. I haul 1200 to 2500 lbs in the back of my truck on a regular basis. The 250 with the 5.4 fills the bill. I sold an 07 dodge with a 5.9 that got 22 highway, not pulling a trailer. My 5.4 gets 13-15 not pulling anything. The Dodge got 13 hwy, pulling the 7200 lb trailer.
That being said it is your call. What do you need?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Number21
Senior User
I think even Ford guys can agree that the 5.9L is a more reliable motor, but that doesn't mean the entire truck will spend less time/money getting fixed. Dodge bodies are a nightmare, so are their transmissions. I bought my 6.0 Super Duty a few months ago for $12,500. My buddy bought a Dodge with the 5.9 at the same time, he spent $28,500. Basically the same truck with different logos, except mine is a high end Lariat, and the only option he gets is power windows.

Here's the best part: so far his truck has been to the mechanic more times than mine! He just had to spend $800 getting the trans adjusted. There is a valve cover leak on the engine, had an issue with the turbo up pipe, and a couple of other things! This truck had only 100,000 miles...

My 6.0 has needed all kinds of work, but I'm not mad about it, I'm still in it way less than my buddy even if I had to buy an entirely new engine. Hell, I could swap a Cummins in there for less than a Dodge.

The fact is you can't buy a used truck that won't come with some issues. Don't think just because you spent more it will be more reliable, not a chance.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
In Maine - I for sure wouldn't go with a Dodge with all the salt induced body rot. Engines - yes, for sure. While Fords have their bed rust problems around the wheel wells if not treated, Dodges have an all over problem. A good friend has an '03 or '04 that the tail gate, both rear quarters and both front fenders are getting nasty bubbles and holes. The door bottoms - they are also starting to bubble and scab. He just told me the oil pan is also rotting and leaking!!! And the turbo pipe is crusty. This is a truck originally from interior Virginia, not a rust belt state where it currently has resided for the past two years. A great truck is a 3 valve V10 - but gas mileage is less then good at maybe 9.5 around town and 12 or a bit more open road with 10% ethanol crap gas (yes, I had an '06, so those are real life numbers). For a good utility vehicle, work and some play, a 5.4 can't be beat but do NOT expect super good gas mileage on this one either but somewhat better then a V10 (yep, had one of them too). An F250/350 is just too big and heavy plus they have the aerodynamics of a brick. Never ever buy a used plow equipped truck.

Disclaimer - my observations based on personal ownership of many Ford pickups and knowledge of a couple of friends Dodges