1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Turbo stall? Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, let me know what you're thinking is and what you decide you would want to do. I can definitely get you a core, I just can't do it this weekend since I'll be at RRE. I would definitely be interested in the 1.0 housing, at the very least and if the stock wheel is in good shape, maybe that too. No sense in sending perfectly good parts in as cores, right!?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:42 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it were me and I knew that I wanted to upgrade the turbo at some point anyways, I dang sure wouldn't bother dumping a grand into another stock turbo.. Think about it a little bit. A full blown T4 mounting kit is around $1500 and an S366 is $800 or less in some cases. Put a new set of bearings in it and put your stock wheel back in it for now. Take all the extra money that you would put into doing a D66 and put it aside to put towards a better turbo later on. That's just my opinion though and what I have been doing in my SD for a couple months now. The turbo in that truck is dying pretty quickly with the 160/100s and there's no way I'm wasting money on the stock turbo.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Travis, I understand what you’re saying. The Irate Diesel S366 kit is $2,200 with no extra options but I would also need E-fuel to run it which adds another $5-800+ depending on whether I piece it together myself or by a kit. So I'm looking at about $3k just to do the S366. It’s going to take me a couple years at least to be able to afford that.

Another problem is if I rebuild it and it fails on me again on the road... I am out a lot more money in the long run. I’ve got about 10k on this current turbo so it didn't last long and surely won't last a couple years if I rebuild it.

I put a lot of stress on the turbo pulling from 4k ft up to 10k ft with heavy loads. My truck runs insanely well for stock injectors and 226k on the clock and I am only ever going as high as stage 1s. I need it to be reliable but affordable to maintain as well. One big plus to staying with stock type parts is the availability. I am not sure if anyone else makes a kit like Jake’s. With Jake’s customer service, who know what will happen if I have issues down the road (blown bellow?), will he even be in business, and will he take care of the problem?

I'm not saying the D66 is the best option but who knows, it may work great for my setup in the long run and be cheaper if it does work. The more I read about Jake’s issues with getting people all their parts or even answering the phone or emails the more I think I might be better off with something else. Even a SD setup with a 38R in the future would give me the power potential and easy parts availability. But it’s a little more expensive up front to convert.

I don’t know, I’m trying to think long term as well; it sucks having something break away from home and having to fix it after getting the parts, but what if I can’t even get the parts? That leaves me in an even worse situation and a lot more money down the drain. No matter how good something is it will eventually break and need serviced. I don’t know about most guys on here, but there is no way I could afford this truck if I didn’t do all the work myself.

Sorry for my ramble. I appreciate the opinions, it helps me think things through.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you on the availability situation. That's why I decided the 38r. I picked the sd stuff off the core motor I had which had the pedestal spider manifolds and ups. Plus if I am ever stuck I can toss the stocker on pretty quick seen as it's only 2 bolts from the top and 2 band clamps. At least it should get me around till a new one arrives.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Ya Nick that is another big plus to the SD setup, pulling the turbo is easy and parts are easy to get. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to do.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
You should be able to sell your bellowed uppipes Chris. Whether here, or ebay, means they cost about double maybe you could get half or so and pay for the new ones if you decide to go that route. Maybe able to find a stock SD turbo for now to use and just have to round up a manifold. Would that work? I can't remember what is all needed to swap over.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
You should be able to sell your bellowed uppipes Chris. Whether here, or ebay, means they cost about double maybe you could get half or so and pay for the new ones if you decide to go that route. Maybe able to find a stock SD turbo for now to use and just have to round up a manifold. Would that work? I can't remember what is all needed to swap over.
Need the driver side SD exhaust manifold, 3" plenums, and a L99-03 spyder too. Not that it's a big deal to get those parts, just adding that in.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
If you can get the pieces cheap enough it may be worth it. I picked up the motor with all I need including turbo,intercooler pipes and intercooler for just under 500 bucks. FYI you need the driver side manifold and would need the spider as well. Which also means it would be a good time to put in a intercooler
Edit: scratch the intercooler. I just read your sig

Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Thats about what it would take Darin. My understanding is I would need a drivers side manifold, uppipes, collector, turbo, pedestal, either 3" plenums or reducers and then a spyder or turbo outlet flange. I think the 99-03 spyder won't fit with stock fuel pump or fuel bowl, something like that.

I'm leaning towards the D66 for now since I already upgraded the stock system. But I will probably piece together the SD setup over time. I just don't see it happening soon like it needs to.

Edit: I was a little slow typing this lol! Travis and Nick you guys jumped in before I saw your posts.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Is that correct on the 99-03 spyder not working with the fuel bowl or fuel pump?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chris56ford
Is that correct on the 99-03 spyder not working with the fuel bowl or fuel pump?
ill take a look at the pedestals but I don't think they are much different. Maybe the spider makes a diference

Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Thanks Nick, the pedestals are definitely different. The problem I remember reading about is the SD spyder won't fit with the OBS fuel bowl or the fuel pump. Can't remember which or if its both.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
You may be right on the spyder Chris, I really don't know. I do know it's very tight even with the E99 spyder.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Thanks Darin, I can't seem to find where I read that lol, all I can find is people thinking it is an issue. Oh well I'll figure it out later. I went ahead and ordered the D66, I'll see how it does for me. Its the only way I will know. I'll start collecting parts for the SD swap down the road.

Turbo should be here Monday, should be able to install it then too.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I can't say 100% but the spider and plenums look like the culprit. I am hoping to put the bottom end back together tomorrow with the guidance of a friend and then I will be bringing my motor home. I'll have a better idea then

Quick Reply: Turbo stall? Opinions needed.