1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Turbo stall? Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
I know there is a very minimal amount of movement allowed with the wheel, but that's mainly front-to-back (axial shaft?), not side-to-side. If you're able to feel any side-to-side movement, I'll agree with you that you may have a bearing issue.

Low fuel pressure would be a separate issue. I'm thinking that black smoke is caused by the sudden loss of boost. Your fuel pressure may be in spec, but it's on the low-side of spec, you'll definitely feel the loss of power, especially when towing.

The boost leak in the other components is a possibility. The only way to test, that I can think of, is to isolate each component and pressurize to the boost levels you expect to see while towing. You'd have to listen carefully for the leak OR remove each component, submerge in a water tank/bucket/etc. and pressurize. The bubbles will show you the leak location.
Actually Craig you can have a little side to side movement as long as it doesn't contact the housing. Oil takes up the play. As for in and out you should have none.

I think Chris already checked for play, and was in ok shape there.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya I made one of those too Glenn, I was going to pressure it up when I was checking the IC system but I forgot. I'm going to do that.

Darin is correct, there is a small amount of side to side play in the shaft of the turbo, doesn't hit the housing and from my experience it is the normal amount. There is no in and out play.

I didn't get a chance to pull the down pipe and probably won't have the time till Sunday now. Another thing I forgot to mention tho, is I have not lost any oil, it is still full.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Chris56ford
lost
I finally had time to tear into the truck today. I drove about a 100 miles unloaded yesterday to go fishing with my brother and I noticed the turbo was louder and almost had a screeching noise. I kept boost low and limped it home.

Well you guessed it.... Compressor wheel hit the housing. Lots of side to side play now but no in and out.

So I guess I'm getting a new turbo again. I have no idea why it did that, maybe I am way too hard on it towing with the 1.0 housing.

I'm thinking a D66 now, I don't have the coin for a S366 setup unfortunately. Hopefully the D66 won't be a dog until I can afford injectors.

Thanks for all the help guys, the turbo gods hate me.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Thanks Mike, I forgot about that thread. I think I need a 1.15 housing to go that route, my original one got toasted when my turbo went out the time before. This turbo came with the 1.0, not what I wanted initially but I didn't have a choice. I think with the weight I tow and over the mountains, that is what ate my turbo bearings. I can't seem to find a stock housing anywhere.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well, that sucks Chris. Check with this guy. I got my rebuild kit and wheel from him back in the day. He's all about 7.3 turbo's. He may have a housing for you, or may have other options, who knows. Can't hurt to check. Good luck with it bud.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWw&cad=rja

Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That's to bad Chris, the turbo God's really do hate you!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Thanks Darin, I have heard good things about them as well. My problem is that by the time I get a 1.15 housing, get the turbo rebuilt and add a new compressor wheel, I will still have a stock turbo and a lot more money dumped into it. And if I do the DIY 66mm upgrade I'll prob be at the price of a D66 anyway. The D66 will cost a little more but it will be an upgrade at least and it's new, not rebuilt.

One thing I noticed while researching is Beans changed the description on the D66, it says it has a new larger turbine wheel. Wonder what wheel they are using to do that and how it will effect spool and EGTs.

Ya Glenn, I need to do something to get back in their good graces, any tips lol. At least I'm getting really good at pulling turbos!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I don't blame you there Chris. You probably wouldn't be far from a new one by the time you got done building and rebuilding. I think I'd call Beans and ask them about the D66 first, I don't know anything about it honestly. I'd call Ron's too. Heck, its only a phone call, worst thing is they won't be able to help you. That and they are in your neighboring state with a very good reputation.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
s...3...6...6 I know, I know, LOL

In all honestly though, the D66 on my mule is not that big of a deal. Travis tried to warn me but I wouldn't listen. I have my old turbo in SD and I'll be there in mid sep, maybe I can help you out. I'm not suggesting its a solution but it could get you by until you save enough pennies, LOL

Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Darin, I'll give them both a call tomorrow and see what they say. Like you said, it won't hurt to try.

Lol I wish I could Glenn!! I looked at Darin's setup when I was there and it looks awesome, sounds like it works great towing too.

Thanks for the offer Glenn!! I don't know what I'm going to do yet, I need the truck at the beginning to August for a load so I have to figure out something soon. Its going to take me a while to be able to do Stage 1s or an S366 and I think the D66 would do OK for me until then and I could sell it. I'm a little weary of turbos right now lol, seems to be the weakest link on my truck.

Im in Rep jail but I tried to send reps to Glenn, Darin and Mike, thanks guys.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well, good luck on your turbo hunt Chris. Let us know what you find.

The only good thing about this I can come up with is at least you got home this time!!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Chris56ford
lost
Thanks Darin, I will for sure. That is true, at least I'm in the comfort of my own shop and on my own time, lol.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing that the combination of the effectively smaller turbo, the prolonged high RPMs and the heavy load did the little blower in. That's just my uneducated opinion though.

Chris let me know what you decide to do with that 1.0 housing and WW2. I've been contemplating doing those upgrades to my turbo. I think it would be a nice compliment to my stock injectors, 3.55 gears and ZF5. If there are any of my stock turbo parts that would be of benefit to you, let me know. Also, I bet I know where I could get a stock 7.3 (OBS) turbo for cheap if you need one to get you by for a while. The local yard here has an OBS PSD sitting in it and last I looked the turbo was still in it, and in decent shape. I'd be willing to pull it and send it to you if it will help you out. Maybe we could work a deal for your aftermarket turbo parts or something.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Thanks Nate, I think thats why it went out as well, only thing that makes sense. You would like the 1.0 housing, even tho it didn't last for me, I still liked how it ran. I think I'm going to go with a D66 for the time being. You are welcome to this one, all I need is something to send back to Beans as a core.

The billet Riffraff wheel is toast I think since it hit the housing. Might be able to file and smooth the fins and rebalance it but would probably sacrifice some boost. I have the original wheel which looks like new. Basically it would need a rebuild kit put in it and it would be runnable.

Quick Reply: Turbo stall? Opinions needed.