6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Pressure Switch Leaking Like A Sieve

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Pressure Switch Leaking Like A Sieve

I finally got all the oil cleaned up from the front of the engine and underside of the truck after fixing the oil leak from the brake vacuum pump seal on the front of the engine a couple months ago and I find diesel fuel dripping on the ground below the engine and a heavy diesel fuel smell when I stop. It left quite a puddle and obviously had started leaking slightly over the last few weeks and finally got worse because it left quite a trail on the underside of the truck from highway driving.

Anyway, looks like the fuel pressure switch gave up the ghost and is peeing diesel fuel when the truck is running. Looks like an easy fix, just need the part and everything is closed today for Canada Day!! Hoping I can get through another 500 miles of driving it this way because I won't have a part or time to fix it until Saturday. No low fuel pressure issues and it isn't spraying fuel everywhere but just a continuous small leak that is making a mess and running down the engine onto the ground.

Doesn't seem to be a problem that people have seen on here that regularly, so just curious if anybody else has run into it.

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you caught it before you ended up with a fire!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

I would not drive it until fixed.The fuel could flash on you and your problem will be much bigger.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:36 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Yours is the first I've read about. Good luck with the fix.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Sterling6.7
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's too bad you are having this issue and I have not heard about it from anyone else either. Under most circumstances, I wouldn't be too concerned over a small diesel leak starting a fire. Diesel has a pretty high flash point (compared to gasoline) and yours isn't the first truck out there driving around with a diesel leak. Hopefully it is a pretty easy fix being right on top?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know the part number, and your cost on this part... may be worth keeping one as a spare beside the spare DFCM bowl?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Had trouble finding the issue when doing a search online, so it isn't really common. I'm not concerned about a fire from driving it based on the amount of leak (seems to be worse at idle when the truck isn't using any fuel). I won't be towing so temps will be down. I will call the dealership and find out what it is worth this morning when they open. I have the part number already, just need to confirm it's correct. Looks like about $25 in the US for the part, probably about $45 here in Canada. I will update.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Agreed that Diesel is not as volatile as gasoline when it comes to catching fire. However the location of your leak being on top of everything may well increase the risk.. Whatever you decide to do is no skin off my nose..
All that said, you may want to check the former Tousley Ford website here in MN as they have some of the best Ford parts prices on the web:
AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Old 07-02-2014, 09:12 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Agreed that Diesel is not as volatile as gasoline when it comes to catching fire. However the location of your leak being on top of everything may well increase the risk.. Whatever you decide to do is no skin off my nose..
All that said, you may want to check the former Tousley Ford website here in MN as they have some of the best Ford parts prices on the web:
AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories
When I have time to wait for parts, I order from the US, but not in this case. I can have the part here by tomorrow, but since I am out of town until Friday night, it will be there for pickup on Saturday AM.

Part number BC3Z-9S599-C (Fuel Pressure Switch)
Cdn cost $54 plus tax.

Cheapest I found it in the USA was $22, with retail for about $32. Gotta love how we get screwed on parts up here!!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I started an engine fire once, adding oil to a running engine and spilling a bit on the exhuast manifold.
It burned out before any damage happened, but if you have a leak where more fuel is being added, thats a little different.

I'm always amazed how clean everyones engine looks, mine is dusty and grimey, and I come on here and you guys obviously take much better care of your trucks in the appearance department lol.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Diesel autoignition : 210 °C 410 °F
Gasoline autoignition : 247–280 °C 477–536 °F

Flash point and autoignition are not the same thing, While gasoline vaporizes more than diesel at high heat, the vapor takes more to actually ignite than diesel.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by parkland

Flash point and autoignition are not the same thing, While gasoline vaporizes more than diesel at high heat, the vapor takes more to actually ignite than diesel.
You're schooling an old guy...

I would have thought the ignition points would have been the other way around..
I should have paid more attention in Chemistry Lab..

Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point
I'm not smart enough to know the numbers.

But yeah, gasoline has a very low temp flash point, you can light it with a lighter at very low temperatures, while diesel has to be heated to be able to light.

In other words, gasoline is vaporizing lots at lower temps, while diesel does not. However, if both are heated equally, the diesel burns first.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
I started an engine fire once, adding oil to a running engine and spilling a bit on the exhuast manifold.
It burned out before any damage happened, but if you have a leak where more fuel is being added, thats a little different.

I'm always amazed how clean everyones engine looks, mine is dusty and grimey, and I come on here and you guys obviously take much better care of your trucks in the appearance department lol.
I stole that pic from the internet because it had a nice arrow to the part. It wasn't my engine bay. This is my actual pic of my fuel pressure switch. It's not as clean. Lol.

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 05:58 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Was going to post this until I read you did already.

Depending what the fuel touches it COULD ignite.Prolly wont happen but the risk is def there.I know if it was my 60k truck I wouldnt drive it,not worth the risk but fire is job security for me.Been to a few diesel fuel fires.Good luck with the fix.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Switch Leaking Like A Sieve