6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Techron Solved the problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 PM
jim s
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Techron Solved the problem

I have a 06 250 PSD w/ 10,miles. Recently my fuel gauge went haywire. Went from indicating full tank to empty in a matter of miles. Sometimes it indicated the tank was empty even though I had just filled up. An error light came on as well on the dash. I took it to the dealer and they suggested adding some Techron for a while. The sensing unit can get gummed up from the diesel and fail I was told. 3 tanks adding Techron and at 1,200 miles the error light went out and the fuel gage works fine now. A cheap fix for a change.

Jim Sauve

Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
phish555
Senior User
Where do you find this stuff at? My fuel gauge stays on full for about 100 miles, then goes down fast, and "FUEL LOW" warning comes on with about 8 gallons left in tank.

Phish555
06 F250 ps superduty

Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
jim s
New User
Your symtoms sound familar...... Techron is a Chevron product. Many Chevron stations carry it as do other brand stations. I've found it in a Shell Mini Mart station.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 PM
DesertDiesel
Junior User
Is this a special Techron for diesels or is it the same one used in gas engines?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:04 PM
jim s
New User
This from a Chevron website;

Chevron Delo Diesel Additives
Delo, the first name in heavy-duty lubricants, has introduced two high-quality diesel fuel additives. Suitable for passenger cars, light-duty trucks and RVs, these additives help restore power, and keep engine components clean.
Chevron Delo® Complete Diesel Fuel System Cleaner with Cetane Boost cleans, coats and lubricates the diesel fuel system and is specially formulated to remove performance-robbing deposits. It also helps reduce engine noise and improves cold starting by increasing the Cetane number of fuel.
Chevron Delo® Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaner cleans dirty injectors and provides corrosion and rust protection for the entire fuel system. Helps prevent injector nozzle clogging and cleans up existing deposits.

Chevron TECHRON®-based fuel system additives for gasoline engines and Chevron Delo fuel system cleaner for diesel engines provide unbeatable methods to restore power and performance in your vehicle.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 PM
DesertDiesel
Junior User
So we better be using the Delo product.....

Old 05-24-2006, 10:28 PM
jim s
New User
The stuff I used was called TECHRON®. Chevron Delo® may have been on the label in small print but TECHRON®. was prominet on the label. About 10 bucks, treated 30 gallons.

99% sure it said diesel fuel additive on it...I wouldn't put past me to put a gas additive in by mistake, but I doubt it. Check at a Chevron station that sells diesel.

BTY: the dealer didn't exclusively recommend Techron. He just said put in an additive. I bought the first additive I bumped into. It just happened to be Techron.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:37 PM
DesertDiesel
Junior User
Be careful! I think that Techron is for gas engines. They sell it at Costco by the case. I bought it for our gasser but was pretty sure it wasn't for diesels. No harm, no foul.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:12 PM
wyoguy
Junior User
Thumbs up

Went down to the local Napa store today to pick up a couple things and decided to grab an injector cleaner for the wifes T-bird. Usually use the STP concentrate, but they where out, so got a bottle of Techron.
Got home and got to thinking about this tread I had read, so checked out the bottle.

It is a black bottle with Chevron logo and the Big letters "Techron" on the front and under it is concentrate " fuel system cleaner.., Exclusive Synthectic Cleaner."
On the back in fine print in red letters it states:
" Can be used with diesel fuel in light-duty direct and indirect injected diesel engines".

Maybe this is what we all need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:09 PM
DesertDiesel
Junior User
Thats cool! Now I can get a case at Costco for $9-10!Thanks!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 PM
jim s
New User
thanks for finding it wyoguy....that's the stuff. I half way talked myself into thinking I put gas additive in my truck!

Whatever, my gauge works fine now. Clearly in this one limited application the stuff did what it said it would do-clean things up.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You did just what Ford recommends:

Special Service Message: 19098 MULTIPLE VEHICLES - SULFUR BUILD-UP ON FUEL LEVEL SENSOR - ADD "CHEVRON TECHRON PLUS FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER" TO FUEL AND FILL WITH FRESH FUEL
GASOLINE OR DIESEL VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT ERRATIC FUEL GAUGE READINGS, ILLUMINATED MIL, AND DTC P0463, P2068 AND/OR B1202, B2627 MAY BE PRESENT. THIS CONDITION MAY OCCUR DUE TO SULFUR CONTAMINATION FOUND IN SOME LOCAL FUELS WHICH MAY CAUSE TEMPORARY CONTAMINATION OF THE FUEL SENDER CARD. BEFORE REPLACING ANY COMPONENT, CLEAR DTC'S, DRAIN FUEL TANK (IF FACILITIES PERMIT), ADD TECHRON CONCENTRATE PLUS FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER AND ADVISE CUSTOMER TO USE AN ALTERNATE BRAND OF FUEL. THE CONDITION SHOULD CORRECT ITSELF IN A FEW MILES. ADVISE CUSTOMERS TO UTILIZE THE TRIP ODOMETER TO MONITOR FUEL CONSUMPTION. REPLACEMENT OF COMPONENTS OR PCM REPROGRAMMING MAY NOT FIX THE CONCERN. IF CONCERN PERSISTS PERFORM NORMAL DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR. OBTAIN THE NEW TECHRON PLUS FUEL ADDITIVE LOCALLY FROM YOUR LOCAL AUTOMOTIVE CHEMICAL SUPPLY SOURCE OR AUTO PARTS STORE.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/22/2006

Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Clay H
Elder User
Reserecting this old thread. I did a search and found it. I'm having the same fuel gauge issues as the OP and was about to order this CHEVRON TECHRON PLUS FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER but I"m reading its only for gas engines? One source said it could be uded in IDI diesels? Can anyone confirm that they have used it with success in a 6.0 Powerstroke?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think I'd use that in your 6.0 but can't say I've used it from experience. What I can say from experience is that I had the same symptoms and two healthy doses of Diesel Kleen in the tank fixed my fuel gauge issue.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
I don't think I'd use that in your 6.0 but can't say I've used it from experience. What I can say from experience is that I had the same symptoms and two healthy doses of Diesel Kleen in the tank fixed my fuel gauge issue.
I've been searching all over the internet for confirmation of the use of Techron Concentrate in a diesel. Here is one specific data sheet from Chevron, note it specifically states on pg 2: not for use in diesel engines

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

But there are tons of threads from folks that have tried it (even in 6.0s), and it worked. I have read even Chevron Dealers say it's ok for non-direct injected diesels (counts us out). There is an additive sold overseas by CalTex (a Chevron company) that is a Techron D for adding to diesel fuel...

So question for you spdmpo: I use DK too. The fuel gauge problem I have tho is with my Bobcat and it's darn near impossible to get at the fuel level sender, so I'd like to try your fix (I already use DK at normal doses in it's fuel). On to the Q: how much did you overdose the fuel to get your gauge freed up?

Thanks...

Quick Reply: Techron Solved the problem