Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Slide-in camper wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:50 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slide-in camper wiring

I'm currently in the market for a bed camper, and in preparation for it, was seeking information on how to wire in the front plug. Is this tapped into the 7 prong wiring that runs to the hitch receptacle? Or, is there a factory junction in there along the harness? Right now, my primary concern is to have ready the light hook ups and maybe the feed to the house battery. Any further configurations will depend upon the set up of what I end up buying.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:50 PM
DavidE
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camper Plug

On my inbed camper I use a trailer cord and plug to the receptacle on the truck mounted under the rear bumper. Need to make sure the cord isn't under the camper bottom to avoid damaging it.
Happy trails. David

Old 06-28-2014, 11:49 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Yeah, I think that's what I will do for now until I get the camper and see exactly what I will need for a proper set up. Eventually I want to be able to utilize the rear plug for when I also hook up my boat trailer.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Boss73
Senior User
I purchases a plug and play wiring harness from torklift in Kent. It plugs in on the back side of the rear trailer plug. I ran it along the inside of the rear fender and mounted the plug towards the front on the driver side of the bed. Had it for 2 years and it works great! I also pull a boat, so I needed two plugs.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:34 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Boss73
I purchases a plug and play wiring harness from torklift in Kent.
That sounds like the best solution. I really want to avoid hacking up and compromising the factory wiring. I got my Torklift tie down set up there. All the gear they sell is top notch.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Just be careful because not all bed campers are wired the same. The guy I bought mine from was using a cord to the rear like you are talking about melted the taillight lenses couse the lights had constant power. Lance for example is wired different than my Fleetwood. Do a little research first, especially if you buy one used.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

I picked up a 2001 Fleetwood Elkhorn today, and while it had long wires on the 7pin plug that reached all the way to the back, the color coding and positions were different, as stated above. Only three matched the truck plug. The black 12v feed, white ground, and blue trailer brake. The rest of them are different colors and positions. I would have thought that there would be some sort of industry standard for 7 pins, but obviously that's not the case. Glad I brought it up here, otherwise it would have been more of a struggle sorting it all out.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Here's what I picked up. It's really nice and well maintained in and out. Not bad for $4,500. The only soft spot is down low at the rear passenger side skirt. It looks like the edge molding lost it's seal and let spray from the rear tire get in there. Easy access and repair though. These trucks are beasts. Amazed at how well it drives and handles with this load. I went with the Torklift frame mounted tiedown system. Spendy, but I feel it's worth it. Next investment will be a Super Hitch so I can take our boat out at the same time.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
The Super Hitch is an excellent hitch-mine looks like it weighs 300#. The rear slide-in mounts (the mounts telescope out when used) were welded right to the hitch.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Boss73
Senior User
You sure didn't mess around getting a camper! Nice looking! Did you get your wiring figured out? I bought a new Arctic Fox 992 in 2012, and went to torklift in Kent and told them what I was buying and they set me up with the wiring kit. You will like the superhitch, I am running a 32" extension on mine and works great!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Boss73
You sure didn't mess around getting a camper! Nice looking! Did you get your wiring figured out? I bought a new Arctic Fox 992 in 2012, and went to torklift in Kent and told them what I was buying and they set me up with the wiring kit. You will like the superhitch, I am running a 32" extension on mine and works great!
Thanks! Yeah, I think it's pretty nice for the money. It's our first camper so we'll see how it goes. I was actually thinking if we ever upgraded, it would be to an Arctic Fox like yours. Those things are nice. As a matter of fact, the guy I bought this one from upgraded to an Arctic Fox. Sweet camper for sure.

I'm glad I didn't mess with the wiring until I got the camper. On this one, it had a long extended plug that ran all the way to the hitch receptacle. The only difference was some of the color coding, i.e. red for left turn instead of yellow, and brown for right turn instead of green, etc. Once I got that sorted out, it was no big deal. And, since I already have the 4-pin connection back there, I can use that for the boat. All without needing to hack into the factory wiring.