6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Another H&S question. (Sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM
TH2014F350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another H&S question. (Sorry)

I have an 2014 F-350 stock can I put an H&S on it without deleting, or what will I have to do? I don't need 1000 HP , just looking to get a little more power. I am very new to the Diesel family. I love my truck and I will never go back, every time I get in it I am grinning from ear to ear. I know this question has probably been answered somewhere in here. I am just trying to learn as I go along.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
You can purchase and install a street tuner to add power and still be EPA compliant. Unless you later buy custom tunes, it will not even be capable of deleting.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
You have to do nothing but plug the mini maxx in and upload the tunes

Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok let me clear this up AGAIN. First what are you trying to do? Just add power or remove unneccesary weight that would make it exhale black smoke.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Matt, to me it sounded like he just wants more power without a delete, so that was why I answered the way I did. I'm thinking I'll load my tuner soon (DPF on), and maybe delete later down the road when more time and cooler temps allow.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
You are gonna love your truck once you do the delete. Like I recommended earlier, I would just block off the EGR. I took mine completely off, but it can be a painful process if your not careful. Mine rumbles now! I usually drive without the tuner in the truck(just on normal) and I put it on yesterday and wow. It just takes off with no hesistation lol.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot

Apologies to the OP.

I already love my truck. I can't imagine it being any better.
I'll start off with tuner only - DPF on. Later, I'll tackle the exhaust, and eventually I'll install my Sinister EGR delete.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
I have a couple of questions that are along the line of the OP's. What kind of power increases would you see with just doing the street tuner with no deletes? I looked on H&S's website but their estimates are generic and say they apply to many vehicles. Also, when it's returned to stock for a state inspection or trip to the dealer, is there any tell tail signs left in the computer that things were changed and then changed back or is it like it never happened? Any fuel additives needed when running the hot tune? I can't go full delete in my military state of inspections in MA but would like to play a little if I could.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
If they have a reason to go looking they can trace it, but unless there is a blown engine or tranny they really don't care. "Oh yeah", you might say, "they look whenever you bring it in", uhhh no they don't.

I've had mine in to three different dealers and none of them bothered to check, even with my 6" exhaust tip and rumbling straight pipe with turbo whine very evident, not to mention the sweet smell of burnt deisel instead of cow ****!

I even had a blown turbo and they changed it no questions, not even a frown or weird look.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:27 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
If they have a reason to go looking they can trace it, but unless there is a blown engine or tranny they really don't care. "Oh yeah", you might say, "they look whenever you bring it in", uhhh no they don't.

I've had mine in to three different dealers and none of them bothered to check, even with my 6" exhaust tip and rumbling straight pipe with turbo whine very evident, not to mention the sweet smell of burnt deisel instead of cow ****!

I even had a blown turbo and they changed it no questions, not even a frown or weird look.
That's a nice dealer to work with Mine scanned the truck when I came in for trans work and said there was a corrupt flag set in the ECM, which normally indicates a tune, although its never been tuned. Don't know that I can trust the techs knowledge though. My MM is sitting in the box still.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
.....What kind of power increases would you see with just doing the street tuner with no deletes? .....
Also, when it's returned to stock for a state inspection or trip to the dealer, is there any tell tail signs left in the computer that things were changed and then changed back or is it like it never happened? Any fuel additives needed when running the hot tune? I can't go full delete in my military state of inspections in MA but would like to play a little if I could.
#1 I've done it because my wife didn't like the loud noise, pulling our 5th wheel for 5-7 hours especially. They did dyno runs and had them listed, I think it was around 50-75 HP and 125-150 TQ. It has been a while since I looked, but I will tell you IT IS A BIG DIFFERENCE!!

#2 State inspection shouldn't notice anything even with it tuned. You still have to run DEF until you go deleted. Still get that good burnt cow **** smell, mmmm-mmh!

#3 If the dealer looks he can find it. I have taken mine in after I took all of my stuff back to stock, no issues at all. If you blow an engine, tranny or something you can bet they'll go looking.

#4 No additives required. I use the stuff in the silver bottle based upon issues with the HPFP fiasco. Just makes me feel a little better, not much but a little.

Running as it says in my sig section I have had my truck on a chasis dyno. You can even see it on you tube "FORDTUF1" and you'll see it. 551 HP at the rear wheels, I think 1097 TQ, and a top speed of 154 mph (pretty good sense I have it set to stop a 150 mph). Let's just say it's a blast.

I will say this, I didn't touch my truck until I got 36,000 miles on it, at least this way I got 2 years out of it for all the re-works and "fixes" Ford had to do. I got Job #1 build date of 5/2010.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Great info. Hope it helps the OP as well... Thanks FT1!! Reps sent...

Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM
TH2014F350
New User
TOFAN no I'm not looking to roll coal as they say, just looking for a little boosted power. I don't need anything crazy, I did all the street racing stuff in my younger years.
Just trying to find out different options. Thanks everyone for the answers, very informative group.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Ok. If you are looking to make the truck more reliable and better on MPG and not have to worry about DEF then I would go with a DPF delete capable one. Use the EGR block off plates and don't worry about pulling the EGR. You can get a straight pipe that literally bolts in after you take off the DPF. You will love the truck after that.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Hey guys. I'm new from the 6.4L forum where I was for 5 years and 8 years before that on the 7.3L forum . My 6.4L was tuned and deleted and the EGR blocked. Had an Edge then an H&S tuner. When my truck was hit and totaled I took the H&S with me.

Now, the first thing the OP should know is that H&S said that the tuner would not work on the 2014 truck. It would work from 2008 to 2013 but not 2014. I believe the OP has a 14.

So, the OP ask about a tuner with the DPF on. That will get you somewhere between nada and zippo, right. I mean you have this devise shutting down the exhaust flow and choking the engine. Until that is opened up nothing you do can help performance or economy, right?

Second thing to know is that Ford (including dealers) can indeed tell that the tuner has been in the system and altered programming. So, if you blow it up you buy it or pay for the repairs. I would also add that to remove a tuner and take a truck in for warranty repairs that could have been caused by the tuner is fraud, period. You may never get called on it but that's what it is.

Third thing to know is that using a tuner can cause a lot of problems. I blew up a tranny and a head gasket in 2013. Cost me a bunch of dollars. If you want to play be prepared to pay.

Forth thing the OP should know is that these trucks are unbelievably powerful and sweet running with a delete and a tuner. The first time I started my truck without the DPF I almost had an out of body experience. It was that much better. I could feel the power just sitting there at idle. The truck from that point on was so much more fun to drive.

Just some food for thought. Been there done that and have no regrets.

Quick Reply: Another H&S question. (Sorry)