Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

exhaust idea 351w - need help

Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 PM
choate
Elder User
choate has a good reputation on FTE.choate has a good reputation on FTE.
exhaust idea 351w - need help

Ok so after 2 days of researching, I think I'm almost more confused now that when I started this search. My goal is to add two 18'' glasspacks and make the passenger side have a functional exit that looks just like the drivers side exiting between the back tire and bumper. Here are some things I'm confused on and need some help/clarification....Btw a muffler shop would be doing to the work.

People say they use a Y pipe to do this, I look under the truck and there is already a Y there w/ an O2 censor in it at the cat. That is where each manifold goes from each side (two pipes) into one. So do people add another Y pipe somewhere to make it into two again basically meaning you have 2 y pipes?

Also, it looks like there a cat at the first Y, then about a foot of pipe, then also another cat after that, then a muffler. Are you guys removing BOTH cats or just one?

My idea is to remove the 2nd cat, add in a Y pipe and add 2 glasspacks right after that then run it out the other side under the 4x4 sticker just like the drivers side.

Will this work and what size in/out do I need for the Y if I'm keeping the stock size pipe? Has anybody else ran this set up? Thanks in advance

Old 06-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Evan_P
Postmaster
Evan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to behold
Ok well I refrained from doing it in the "Showoff" thread, but I wont here.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Do you want loud? Raspy? Deep?

I have found that almost all of the "muffling" in these trucks comes from the cats rather than the muffler itself. For this reason I see no point in having two mufflers in the truck. One will suffice. Then you could do your split behind the wheels.

With that said, If I were you I would buy a new catted y-pipe from Magnaflow, then pick the muffler that will give you the tone you want, then have a shop bent up the tail pipes.

I personally think a glass pack makes these trucks sound like a Harley, which to me, isn't a good thing. I want people to think truck when they hear it, not obnoxiously loud motorcycle.

Just as an example, here is my exhaust.

First, the list:
-Bassani Ceramic Coated Equal length headers
-Bassani Catted Stainless Steel y-pipe
-Magnaflow 3" in/out Performance muffler
-Magnaflow 3" Stainless Steel Mandrel bent y-pipe
-Magnaflow 4" Polished Stainless Steel tip

Video:

Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 PM
choate
Elder User
Thanks man, I'll check it out when I get home b/c I can't view youtube since I'm at work right now. I don't want "loud" but I want some sound for sure. Don't want raspy, I want deep rumble.

With the way you describe though, I don't see how I could go from one muffler into two pipes out the rear? Are you saying leave the factory Y in place then use another one?

Here is what got me going on glasspacks. This guy said he had dual cherry bomb 18'' glass packs on the red truck. To me this is the sound I'm after.

Maybe I should just cut out the back cat myself, replace it w/ a glasspack there and see how loud it is for my taste by just clamping it in first. I can't imagine removing that one back cat would wake up the sound that much but maybe I'm wrong. If that's true I can't imagine what real true dual system would sound like w/ no cat whatsoever and headers

Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Evan_P
Postmaster
Evan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to beholdEvan_P is a splendid one to behold
This is the kind of y-pipe I am talking about.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...rd/model/f-150

Oddly enough, that video is the one that made me NOT want strait pipes or glasspacks.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's how I did mine.

Gutted the cat and welded in a plate with 2 pipes exiting.

2 18" glass packs.

Dual pipes, one out each side.

Spare tire? We don't need no stinking spare tire! (it's in the bed)

This is a working truck. Hauling heavy stuff in rough conditions every day. I usually work within about 20 miles of home so mostly short trips and stuff. Here lately I've been working 60 miles one way. The truck sounds good BUT after driving 120 miles a day for a month I am SICK of the drone! It seams like the farther you drive the worse it gets. Maybe I'm just getting old. I will be putting something else on pretty soon.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM
GoinBoarding
Posting Guru
GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.GoinBoarding has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a 3" single, gutted first cat, with a Flowmaster Series70 (quietest they make), that dumps right in front of the passenger side rear tire. I don't know, maybe I'm old now, but who wants to listen to a stock truck motor? They're mutts, and nothing special to listen to. Well tuned hot rod? Open it up! I did drive around for 5 days or so with just the rear cat and open after that while waiting for my muffler, it was fun for about 15 minutes.

If I were to do it again, I'd go long tube headers, each into 2.5", Y into single 3", one high flow cat, big muffler (or use whatever size you want--volume dependent), dump in front of passenger rear tire. Simple, doesn't add more crap to rot out or get hung up (smashed) off road, and would give a performance bump.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 PM
choate
Elder User
Originally Posted by Evan_P View Post
This is the kind of y-pipe I am talking about.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...rd/model/f-150

Oddly enough, that video is the one that made me NOT want strait pipes or glasspacks.
That's funny. Popular video I guess. I don't like the straight pipe like he has it. I would guess that's nothing but headers to whatever he said 3" straight pipe and that's it. Way too loud. The glasspacks just do it for me. Don't get me wrong ur set up sounds great but that's more than I'm wanting to spend but bassani makes good stuff. I'm honestly surprised it's not louder w your headers.

Here is the y I think I'm gonna use

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-10758/overview/

Originally Posted by eakermeld View Post
Here's how I did mine.

Gutted the cat and welded in a plate with 2 pipes exiting.

2 18" glass packs.

Dual pipes, one out each side.

Spare tire? We don't need no stinking spare tire! (it's in the bed)

This is a working truck. Hauling heavy stuff in rough conditions every day. I usually work within about 20 miles of home so mostly short trips and stuff. Here lately I've been working 60 miles one way. The truck sounds good BUT after driving 120 miles a day for a month I am SICK of the drone! It seams like the farther you drive the worse it gets. Maybe I'm just getting old. I will be putting something else on pretty soon.
VERY helpful thanks! Haha yeah drone gets old! My furtherest trip would be 20mi one way. I daily drive a mustang and I can't do drone either!

Did you have to remove your spare to make it work?

Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 AM
92will
Senior User
92will is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Goinboarding, I would love you hear your truck. I have long tube pacesetters, 2.5" into a custom Y just behind the transfer case on passenger side with an old 4"X9"X12" mellow tone dual out muffler with no tail pipes. The drone is ridiculous. I sounded good with stock manifolds. When I added the long tubes (talk about adding low end torque!!) it was quite a bit louder. Then one of my tail pipes rusted though and broke off so I cut both of them off at the muffler. That is when it got really loud and resonating.

I have been searching what muffler to put on for a while and chose to go with magnaflow. So I ordered a 5"X11"X22" because I want to quiet it down a lot but Midas said it would not fit. They said they are being sued right now for some guy that over loaded his truck and the muffler slowly cut the drive shaft in two and caused a wreck so they didn't really want to touch it.

Anyway, I too am going to dump it out with a single 2.5" in front of the passenger side rear tire but cant find any sound bites of any systems even close to that.

I don't have emission testing and the truck has not had a cat on it since I have owned it (9 years). So with long tubes, no cat, and short exhaust, I wanted the biggest muffler I could get. I thought about getting a round magnaflow, but after getting back under it and measuring, I believe it will fir just fine.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.eakermeld is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If that shop screwed up a muffler installation so bad it took out the driveshaft, overloaded or not, I wouldn't want them touching mine!

And the spare tire question. Well here's a story to go along with yours. The PO of my truck had a hack job exhaust job done somewhere down south and they said there was PLENTY of room, no need to remove the spare. Then he hooked up his big ole 5th wheel and headed to Missouri. Somewhere in Oklahoma the State Patrol flagged them down because smoke was billowing out from under the rig. The exhaust was so close it was melting the tire! They managed to get it out while the patrolman was spraying it with his extinguisher. They threw it in the ditch and as soon as it hit the ground it exploded and went up in flames. The dry grass took off too and ended up closing I-44 for several hours and burned several acres of somebody's fields.

Factory single exhaust or PROPERLY installed single exhaust will clear the tire just fine. But since dual pipes come from one side and the left pipe crosses over right there nobody has figured out how to do it without having a bunch of bends and extra pipe or getting the pipe too close to the rear tank. So yes, you do have to remove the spare. If anyone here does know how to do it, I would be game to re-do mine and put the spare back.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:59 PM
choate
Elder User
Thanks a lot for confirming. After looking under my truck, I personally decided I didn't want to even ask a shop to try. I don't really want to remove my spare and put it in the bed either and since it would be more $ to run duels I'm just going w/ the standard single outlet for now. I am going to have the shop run as much 2.5" pipe as they can though