Carter Carb Problems. Big Surprise Hugh.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 1 bbl carter carb on my 86 ford f-150 4x4 with a 300 and boy is that thing a piece( the carb. not the truck, the trucks awesome). First the auto choke quites working so now I just pump it full of gas each morning then the stupid throttle cable came off down the highway and I had to tape it to the linkage at the nearest gas station, but the big problem is the idle it wants to idle about 1900 rpms just sitting(OK get back in you chair I know it's crazy) and if I kick it down about 1300 rpms and if I down shift and let off hard it idles fine around 800 rpms. I've put a few carb kits in with no results, I'm thinking idle jet? Whata you guys think? I'm no amatuar, so I've got the carb set right, so it ain't that. Also if I beat the carb with a hammer it idles down, so I'm still thinking idle jet b/c the carbs nice and clean and the floats fine.

Redneck-Cowboy

Old 07-09-2003, 10:53 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there a metering rod in the carb? Is it moving freely? Is the throttle butterfly hanging open on the gasket or something?
Jimmy

Old 07-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I had it off trying to fix the problem everything seemed really free and no gaskets seemed to be obstructing anything, but next time I have the time to pull off the carb, I'll have to take a closer look at these things. Thanks.

Redneck-Cowboy