Mods to increase/help towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods to increase/help towing capacity

So i got a 98 f150 5.4 auto tranny 4x4 and its rated for 6250 ld GVW. Now i am pushing 35s so that hurts my GVW and i want it to haul my horse trailer alittle easier. Im looking for some help on what mods of brands would be good to go with. My truck dos not have the big tow package but iv put in the electronic brakes and looking into getting a oil to air cooler for my tranny and i already have intake exhaust and just better front pads. I was looking into a towing chip for my tranny it increase line pressure and delayed up shifts and slotted rotors. Any other ideas or recommendations or brands. thanks

Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutter 2
So i got a 98 f150 5.4 auto tranny 4x4 and its rated for 6250 ld GVW. Now i am pushing 35s so that hurts my GVW and i want it to haul my horse trailer alittle easier. Im looking for some help on what mods of brands would be good to go with. My truck dos not have the big tow package but iv put in the electronic brakes and looking into getting a oil to air cooler for my tranny and i already have intake exhaust and just better front pads. I was looking into a towing chip for my tranny it increase line pressure and delayed up shifts and slotted rotors. Any other ideas or recommendations or brands. thanks
The one and only thing that is going to help your truck is to regear, with 35s I would go at least 4:56. All the other things you listed are a waste of money . The increase in line pressure on the trans will do nothing but help you replace the trans early...

Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
Well of course but i dont have a 1000 bucks for lower gears. And thats not correct, chips and shift kits help prolong a trannys life. With the higher line pressure the clutch packs get a much quicker engagement with less friction action, there for reducing the slippage in the clutches unlike stock that offer a smoother shift by slipping the clutch packs more for a better drive comfort. And a shift kit works the same but with softer accumulator valve spring to let pressured aft blow by faster to engage the clutch packs.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Big trans cooler and temp guage for the tranny

Old 06-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Well of course but i dont have a 1000 bucks for lower gears. And thats not correct, chips and shift kits help prolong a trannys life. With the higher line pressure the clutch packs get a much quicker engagement with less friction action, there for reducing the slippage in the clutches unlike stock that offer a smoother shift by slipping the clutch packs more for a better drive comfort. And a shift kit works the same but with softer accumulator valve spring to let pressured aft blow by faster to engage the clutch packs.
Well then you go ahead and put a shift kit in your stock F150 trans with 35s and let us know how that works out for you, As Senix said a bigger cooler and a guage will prolong the trans life, and as I said everything else is a waste if money..

Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 AM
tim.moman
Elder User
Having owned one and hauled much. Gears and trans gauge. Then tuner that removes torque control.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
Well then you go ahead and put a shift kit in your stock F150 trans with 35s and let us know how that works out for you, As Senix said a bigger cooler and a guage will prolong the trans life, and as I said everything else is a waste if money..
Or do the re-gearing will help a lot.

Go back to stock size tires works too if you have them around still.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Zrock
Junior User
true.. if you go to the Chevy's with the tow/haul button that's what it does. Shifts at higher rpm and a much firmer shift.

Also service your bearings regularly with a good quality grease. You would be amazed in the difference. I just switched trailers and went to a bigger one for my quads. the bearings on the new one are as smooth a silk and the trailer tows great. The bearings in the old were good but due for a service as they were no ware near as smooth.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Zrock
true.. if you go to the Chevy's with the tow/haul button that's what it does. Shifts at higher rpm and a much firmer shift.

Also service your bearings regularly with a good quality grease. You would be amazed in the difference. I just switched trailers and went to a bigger one for my quads. the bearings on the new one are as smooth a silk and the trailer tows great. The bearings in the old were good but due for a service as they were no ware near as smooth.
You cannot compare a chevy trans that was engineered to shift at a higher Rpm and more pressure to a dated f150 trans with we can only guess how many miles on it.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Dutter 2
Elder User
Yeah im thinking of pulling a cooler off of a expedition because there a pretty good size and designed for the amount of atf flow i have. And well actually yeah u can compare, all hes saying is the pcm is telling that chevy tranny how to shift for towing, and the Banks shift chip will tell my tranny to do they same. All automatic trannys work about the same. You got your planetary gears, your clutch packs and you pcm/valve body to tell them when and how to shift. Untell you get into CVT trannys which they dont even put into heavy trucks. And i do plan on getting a f250 once im out of school and working, so this is just to help my truck do what it can, yes i know regearing is the best but i dont have the money or down time on my truck.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Yeah im thinking of pulling a cooler off of a expedition because there a pretty good size and designed for the amount of atf flow i have. And well actually yeah u can compare, all hes saying is the pcm is telling that chevy tranny how to shift for towing, and the Banks shift chip will tell my tranny to do they same. All automatic trannys work about the same. You got your planetary gears, your clutch packs and you pcm/valve body to tell them when and how to shift. Untell you get into CVT trannys which they dont even put into heavy trucks. And i do plan on getting a f250 once im out of school and working, so this is just to help my truck do what it can, yes i know regearing is the best but i dont have the money or down time on my truck.
Well it sounds like you have the tranny thing all figured out, don't pay any attention to my sig in which it says I have a 5.4 and a SCT tuner...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:26 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Dutter - if you find a wrecked '04-07 F250 diesel with thew cooler still in good condition get it. They are well know to do a superior job cooling the tranny fluid.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
yeah all i was looking for was like what kinds of chips would be good as far as the tranny gos. And ok yeah ill see but are junk yard never really sees diesels, thats why i was going to do a expedition or any other big cooler that they have