6.0L Stock Garrett vs Garrett Powermax

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
6.0L Stock Garrett vs Garrett Powermax

Ive been searching the net for the last few days trying to determine a way to go with my truck here in hopefully the not to distant future.. Trying to decide whether to rebuild my turbo with a wickid wheel or just upgrade it to a powermax. But problem is it seems no matter where you go the descriptions change between the 2.

Was wondering if the "Experts" here to give like a Pro's and Cons between the 2 turbo setups.

Of what ive read (depending on the site). Some people have said the lag's longer on the powermax, where stock ones quicker.. others have said the opposite. But one commonality between all the reports ive seen said the Powermax tops out much quicker than the stock leaving the upper RPM band lacking in power.

a Downside/upside depending on how you look at it they all state the powermax is way louder over the stock turbo.. which leads to wondering would it be so loud that its uncomfortable for long duration trips? this trucks my travel rig, and as much as i like hearing the turbo "whistle" (as i call it) i dont want something that crosses into the annoyingly loud category for long trips.

I do plan to eventually tow with my rig.. so please take that into consideration too. Id like more power but also want it throughout the RPM's and the reliability/longevity.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the powermax on my last truck 05 6.0. I also had afe intake and four inch exhaust, tuning was handled with an sct x3 with Gearhead Automotive SRL tune. In my opinion the turbo had a noticeable whistle at low rpm, say cruising through a parking lot, but once up to speed I didn't think it was any louder than the stocker was.

I have a hard time believing the stocker has better top end then the powermax, I didn't experience this to be true. I also didn't notice a change in spool up time, the SRL file on the x3 is a progressive 150hp tune, so maybe that's why mine ran so well, only from a dead stop if you floored it would it puff a little puff of smoke then it cleared right up to not even a haze.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by blue04.5
I had the powermax on my last truck 05 6.0. I also had afe intake and four inch exhaust, tuning was handled with an sct x3 with Gearhead Automotive SRL tune. In my opinion the turbo had a noticeable whistle at low rpm, say cruising through a parking lot, but once up to speed I didn't think it was any louder than the stocker was.

I have a hard time believing the stocker has better top end then the powermax, I didn't experience this to be true. I also didn't notice a change in spool up time, the SRL file on the x3 is a progressive 150hp tune, so maybe that's why mine ran so well, only from a dead stop if you floored it would it puff a little puff of smoke then it cleared right up to not even a haze.
good to know.. maybe when it goes again ill have the ability actually upgrade.. i thought it was weird that people were saying the stocker was better as well.. but im new to turbo's and diesels.. was seeing alot of posts stating that so got curious why that would be.