Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo wo's

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 AM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo wo's

Reading through the forums, there is a lot of talk about changing out your compressor wheel for the wicked wheel or the WW2. Well I just want to share my experience and hope no one has the same issue I did. Please when your changing out your compressor wheel don't forget about the hot side and look at that wheel too. Not just look through the hole. Take it apart and look at it. I noticed some surging issues so I decided to upgrade my wheel to the WW2. Just popped the wheel off and put a new one on. things were great after that. After a while my boost wouldn't get any higher and started to actually go down. My gas mileage was getting worse. Then the worse thing happened. I wouldn't get any boost at all and I would hear a metal grinding noise. I took it into the shop and they found my hot side turbo looked like this:
http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...2c7c93f102.jpg
Now I have to buy a whole new turbo. At least it happened right before we take the fifth wheel out for a week long vacation. And yes the bearings were bad, I should have been more thorough with my upgrade. Now the WW2 is shot. I was lucky and didn't have my engine run away with all the oil that was leaking/burning.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear Micah.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Should of trouble shooted it yourself. Could of bought the kit from Clay and save $$$.
Or upgraded to 38R for the price your paying them.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 PM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
Luckily it is a friend of mine and is charging me minimal labor.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

I'm glad to here that. You can get a center section for just over $400. dollars or a 38R for $1400.oo from Clay, its still an option. I wouldn't put a stock turbo back on with out the upgrade now that you know how it works. You have the S&B intake so the upgraded turbo would be great.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:27 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear that Micah. But this might be an opportunity to improve your towing performance. There are many options to consider, a stock turbo with a 1.0 housing to lower EGT's. Same goes for the Van turbo. The 38R and S366 would also work nicely.

BTW, what did you think about the upgrade from the WW to the WW2? Was there a noticeable difference?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 AM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
Rich the new turbo has the original WW. So I'm going from the WW2 to the WW. The turbo guy wouldn't put the WW2 on because he said it isn't as balanced as the normal WW. At the moment I don't notice much of a difference. The WW is louder, but performance wise it seams to be the same. I went with the stock turbo. But I think it has the 1.0 housing. I was too excited to get my truck back . I got a fix it ticket because of all the burning oil, so it was parked for a weak while we were getting everything for it.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by ralleyclimber
Rich the new turbo has the original WW. So I'm going from the WW2 to the WW. The turbo guy wouldn't put the WW2 on because he said it isn't as balanced as the normal WW. At the moment I don't notice much of a difference. The WW is louder, but performance wise it seams to be the same. I went with the stock turbo. But I think it has the 1.0 housing. I was too excited to get my truck back . I got a fix it ticket because of all the burning oil, so it was parked for a weak while we were getting everything for it.
Bob Riley is gonna to come unglued about the remark of his WW2 not being balanced, or as balanced as the WW.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ralleyclimber

sounds like you are good to go Micah - if you have the larger 1.0 housing you should notice some cooler EGT's when pullin the camper.....

Old 06-22-2014, 09:16 AM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, not sure about the WW2 being not as balanced as the WW comment. I just installed the WW2 on my Van turbo and it is a noticable improvement with spool time and top end. Very pleased with the performance. I actually think it is a little quiter than the stock wheel with my AIS. It did increase my EGT's about 75 degrees or so. I need to make sure I dont have a boost leak from the install.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by snknby123
Yeah, not sure about the WW2 being not as balanced as the WW comment. I just installed the WW2 on my Van turbo and it is a noticable improvement with spool time and top end. Very pleased with the performance. I actually think it is a little quiter than the stock wheel with my AIS. It did increase my EGT's about 75 degrees or so. I need to make sure I dont have a boost leak from the install.
That would be my guess.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:48 AM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
I was surprised he said that about the WW2 as well. I just got back from a nice long trip pulling the fifth wheel. Went from ogden, to moab, to 4 cornors, to st george and back. After having the WW2 and the WW. I really like how quite the WW2 is, however, I personally like the WW over the 2nd gen. It just seamed to run smoother. Maybe it was the fact that the turbo was new. Anyways, running great. EGT's were great. Good trip.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
OK... I gotta ask: How did the "turbo guy" determine this? Has he put it on a flow bench? Did he conduct computer analysis of the air flow through the turbo? Did he put it on a wheel balance and spin it up? Did he hold it up in the light and say "That don't look raight"?

I was going to sit quiet, but since the conversation is started - this will be the first time I speak on the WW2:

While I appreciate the precision of the manufacturing method of the WW2, I have been skeptical of the design and materials from day one. I am no expert on turbos, so don't put a lot of weight to my opinion on this - but one must ask the questions before jumping on every "flavor of the month". Did the WW2 designers put the wheel through the tests I mentioned above? How about the material... how does it hold up when compared with the materials used in conventional manufacturing methods?

I don't know how the builder arrived at his design, nor how the turbo guy arrived at his conclusion. I just wonder, watch, and wait.

This one is going to delete a few of my brownie points with Clay... but I can't not be honest.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

I don't know either Rich. I did see that Bob's design, a different wheel, put on PHP's dyno and the results posted on PHP web site if you want to look it up. I am thinking Clay had his dyno'd to but don't know where it is.