Transit from E-Series: A Look into the New Ford Transit Vans

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Ford-Trucks Editors
Host
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transit from E-Series: A Look into the New Ford Transit Vans

http://www.f150online.com/wp-content...ordTransit.jpg

When Ford announced that the E-Series vans were to stop production and be replaced by the European built Transit, many wondered if it was going to be as capable. With three different engines, three different roof heights, and three different cargo capacities; E-Series fans and users have nothing to worry about. The Transit will feature more capability, better fuel economy, and will also feature the new 3.2 liter Power Stroke Diesel!

Get the full details over on the blog here!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:43 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With a max trailer weight of 7500 lbs it would not be a viable option for me. Some of my equipment weighs over 10k plus the trailer. Right now I pull this with my E-450 with a 7.3 psd. This looks like a good service vehicle but lacks in the heavy duty construction market.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 78fordman
With a max trailer weight of 7500 lbs it would not be a viable option for me. Some of my equipment weighs over 10k plus the trailer. Right now I pull this with my E-450 with a 7.3 psd. This looks like a good service vehicle but lacks in the heavy duty construction market.
That's my problem as well. Payload numbers look fine, but the towing numbers took a hit. Especially for the diesel (4,600lbs). Right now we use diesel E350 vans and they can tow about double what the Transit diesel is rated for.

Our scissor lifts alone weigh 5,000lbs, and then you have to add the trailer. Way over weight for a diesel transit.

Not sure what we're gonna end up doing. It has to be diesel which doesn't leave us too many options, at least from Ford anyway.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 PM
EconolineFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
That's my problem as well. Payload numbers look fine, but the towing numbers took a hit. Especially for the diesel (4,600lbs). Right now we use diesel E350 vans and they can tow about double what the Transit diesel is rated for.

Our scissor lifts alone weigh 5,000lbs, and then you have to add the trailer. Way over weight for a diesel transit.

Not sure what we're gonna end up doing. It has to be diesel which doesn't leave us too many options, at least from Ford anyway.
Why not just keep your E350s?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:56 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Originally Posted by EconolineFan
Why not just keep your E350s?

We've already kept them longer then we usually do. Usually we rotate out work vans every 10 years. Most of them are 12+ years old now and are starting to show their age.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There hasn't been a diesel Econoline for several years now, so you haven't lost anything with the new Transit.

Either an F series or a GM diesel van.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:18 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
We've already kept them longer then we usually do. Usually we rotate out work vans every 10 years. Most of them are 12+ years old now and are starting to show their age.
THIS would be the perfect example of a market segment where voicing your opinion in writing (AND your cheque book) to FoMoCo is in huge order. IF enough such opinions are voiced, and loud enough one never knows what can be achieved. As far as I know, the E-Series is not completely dead. The cutaway versions of the E-Series will continue production for another few years. It is definitely a wait and see game. If sales of the E-Series cutaway vans continue at a steady pace, but the new Transit falls below expections, you never know what can happen.

Off topic a little, but I still remember what happened back in the day, when Ford had planned on discontinuing the Mustang for 1987, and the car intended to replace it ended up as the Probe. Well, as many Mustang enthusiasts voiced their opinions, putting it lightly, the `87 to `93 Mustangs came about, and sold like hot cakes. The Probe turned out to be an expensive lemon, all just because enough voices were heard, and thankfully Ford listened.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:48 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I believe the new T-series will do great. People are resistant to change, especially a drastic one like this. I can see the E-series purists flocking to the GM twins but considering the current Nissan/GM joint venture on a small runabout van, I can see GM beginning it's migration towards a Euro van.

It makes sense. Around here, fleets are littered with the Sprinters and Mercedes vans running that sweet little diesel that can idle all day and give great MPG's.

Ford is late to the party.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:13 PM
jimrat
New User
Here is a copy from the Ford towing specs. Looks like your 7500# towing requirement fall within the Transit range. Second to last column is the towing capacity.

Transit 150, MWB, Low Roof Van 129.9 8600 3.7L 3.73 10800 5500 3600
Transit 150, MWB, Low Roof Van 129.9 8600 3.7L 4.10 12125 6800 3600
Transit 150, MWB, Low Roof Van 129.9 8600 3.5L 3.31 11200 5900 3550
Transit 150, MWB, Low Roof Van 129.9 8600 3.5L 3.73 12600 7300 3550
Transit 150, MWB, Low Roof Van 129.9 8600 3.2L 3.31 10600 4700 3220
Transit 150, MWB, Low Roof Van 129.9 8600 3.2L 3.73 13500 7600 3220

Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins

It makes sense. Around here, fleets are littered with the Sprinters and Mercedes vans running that sweet little diesel that can idle all day and give great MPG's.

Ford is late to the party.
Hmm UPS bought a bunch of those "sweet little diesel" sprinters. The first batch of 20 at my building all went to the crusher in 5-8 years. Horrible cost per mile. Yes great mpg but frequent and expensive maintnance. Nobody ever wanted to drive them either funky driving position, flat steering wheel, aweful mirrors, and my favorite "traction control" that cut the motor speed drasticallywhen a wheel slipped. This caused you to loose momentum and then sitting on a side of the hill looking in those silly euro mirrors trying to slide back down backwards and start over. Worse vehicle ive ever driven proffesionally to include the old aerostars we had. Those sprinters would be the last vehicles left and people would only take them out if every single other truck was gone.

Btw the old ford and gm where kept to 20-25 years international and frieghtliners are around 15 years now and still run well. The new workhorse (gm) are garbage and falling apart already 5 years in. Bad suspensions and transmissions.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Anomic
Hmm UPS bought a bunch of those "sweet little diesel" sprinters. The first batch of 20 at my building all went to the crusher in 5-8 years. Horrible cost per mile. Yes great mpg but frequent and expensive maintnance. Nobody ever wanted to drive them either funky driving position, flat steering wheel, aweful mirrors, and my favorite "traction control" that cut the motor speed drasticallywhen a wheel slipped. This caused you to loose momentum and then sitting on a side of the hill looking in those silly euro mirrors trying to slide back down backwards and start over. Worse vehicle ive ever driven proffesionally to include the old aerostars we had. Those sprinters would be the last vehicles left and people would only take them out if every single other truck was gone.

Btw the old ford and gm where kept to 20-25 years international and frieghtliners are around 15 years now and still run well. The new workhorse (gm) are garbage and falling apart already 5 years in. Bad suspensions and transmissions.
I'm a letter carrier for the USPS and I agree, some vehicles shouldn't be used as a constant stop and go delivery vehicle. UPS like any other courier service
is start and stop and jamming through the gears all day.

I'm seeing a bunch of Sprinters in the FedEx fleet and I wonder how they're doing. *** communications is migrating to the Mercedes and Sprinters and they basically idle all day and they seem to be holding up well.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM
star gazer
Junior User
I am seriously considering one of these to replace my F250 PSD. Only a couple bare bones models at a local dealer but enough to give me a good impression so far. Would probably go the ecoboost but might consider the diesel.

I pull a small 3000 lbs Casita travel trailer so a 5400 tow capacity is fine for me. And the 250 version has a GVWR of 9000lbs so can handle a decent load. I did notice that if I went with 3.73 rear end that the tow rating jumps up to 7000. Anyone with the EB and 3.73 that can tell me about what kind of mpg you might lose over the 3.31?

Dean

Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone thought that Ford was bringing this over along time ago. Instead, we got the Transit Connect. Ford has really been behind on this. I have not heard good things about the GM van, and the costs of the sprinter. I am wondering what has taken so long, and why the punnie towing numbers. Vans, especially in the last few years are being used for construction and service. I can understand having something fuel efficient, but why not use the big diesel as an option? Not sure what they have been doing for the last 4 years.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:39 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The van market in the US is small, and Ford is not "bringing the Transit here". The van had to be completely re-engineered and qualified for the US market, and a plant had to be cleared and completely retooled.

That's a big investment for not a lot of sales dollar return, so I can see why it takes time.

Our instant gratification society sometimes gets ahead of us.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm a letter carrier for the USPS and I agree, some vehicles shouldn't be used as a constant stop and go delivery vehicle. UPS like any other courier service
is start and stop and jamming through the gears all day.

I'm seeing a bunch of Sprinters in the FedEx fleet and I wonder how they're doing. *** communications is migrating to the Mercedes and Sprinters and they basically idle all day and they seem to be holding up well.
Got a brother with UPS, and he says the Sprinters were terrible for them. Got a next door neighbor who was in management with Fed Ex, says they love them. My brother says they haul heavier loads than Fed Ex, but I don't know if that's true.

I traded an '08 Chevy Express for a 2015 Transit XLT last week, (both 15 passenger vans), and I liked the Chevy. This new Ford, however, is in a whole different league, as far as comfort, power, and how it drives. Those old designs just can't compete in those areas. They have an advantage in towing, though.

If you don't like the demise of the Econoline, then vent toward Obama, not Ford. CAFE ratings are the biggest reason for the change. Get ready for more. That's why you see the new F150's body made out of aluminum, shaving 700+ pounds. What it lost in weight, however, will surely be more than made up in sticker price. Get ready to drop your pants if you buy a nicely equipped 2015 F150.

Quick Reply: Transit from E-Series: A Look into the New Ford Transit Vans