1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Pull the heads to get to the lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull the heads to get to the lifters?

Do I have to pull the heads off to get to the lifters?

The more I read, the more I suspect that I have a bent pushrod. And if that's the case, maybe a bad lifter. I'm going to pop the valve covers off soon and do a compression check to identify the bad cylinder(s). Once I find a bad one, I'll pull the push rods out. But is it possible to change the lifters without pulling the heads?

-Matt

Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
williameub
Senior User
You should be able to see a bent pushrod without doing a compression check. I found mine that way.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
You just replaced the bent pushrod and went on your merry way?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
You just replaced the bent pushrod and went on your merry way?
Yes sir!

After I found the bent pushrod, I did a leak down test to see if my valves where bent and they weren't.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Pull the pushrods and roll em across a piece of glass.
Put them back in the hole you pull the from.
Change any bent one's and be done with it

Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Well, a visual inspection yields no culprits. To have the 2200 RPM wall, lack of power, and white smoke that I'm experiencing, I was expecting to see a pushrod bent up so bad that it would be a pretzel.

Compression test next.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:23 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
Well, a visual inspection yields no culprits. To have the 2200 RPM wall, lack of power, and white smoke that I'm experiencing, I was expecting to see a pushrod bent up so bad that it would be a pretzel.

Compression test next.
Sounds like injector o-rings to me. Have you checked the fuel filter? Is it all black or does the fuel in the bowl have a dark color to it?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
I don't think it's the o-rings. The injectors are new Rosewood Stage-1s that I put in a couple of months ago and symptoms persist. There is no oil in the fuel bowl. Plus, it's missing through the entire band.

Symptoms:
Misfires, won't rev above 2k ish, doesn't build much boost, blows white smoke when you get on it hard. There is no performance chip on this truck.

I've replaced:
All 8 injectors with Rosewood Stage-1
CPS with a new Ford dark gray

I've unplugged the following one at a time, with little to no difference:
EBPV (still unplugged)
ICP
EBP Sensor
MAP Sensor

I've checked the fuel pressure, 50-60 at idle and WOT

I bought Torque Pro for my Android, and this is what I'm seeing while driving. The low value is at idle, the high value is a never-exceeds value at WOT

IPR Duty Cycle 14-35%
HPOP Pressure (Confirmed with gauge) 650-2300psi
Injector Pulsewidth 1.1-1.7 ns
EBP 14.5-21
MAP 14.5-20
Boost (Confirmed with gauge) 0-5 psi

Torque Pro says there's no codes.

All of the common-to-injector pin (2 to 3 and 3 to 4) resistance measurements are dead-on 3.5 ohm.

Logic says that it's not building boost because it's not building EBP because it's not getting enough fuel. However, I am definitely getting white smoke and a misfire when I romp on it, which leads me to believe that the injectors are firing at the wrong time. I replaced the CPS with a new Ford unit and there was no difference.

All I have left is to do a compression test, IDM, and maybe the barometric pressure sensor.

I really want to slap another IDM on there and see what happens. AE would be awesome too, so that I can check Barometric Pressure, TPS (Although not likely the issue), buzz test, CCT, etc.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
Have any of the pigtails to the valve cover gaskets been changed? If so, maybe who ever changed them miss wired 2 injectors. This would leave those 2 injectors firing at the wrong time.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Sorry, I lose track of who has done what to their trucks when there are so many threads floating around. It sounds like you have the basics covered.

If you're thinking pushrods, make sure you're looking at the rockers as well. They've been known to bend/break from time to time.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Well the UVCHs say "China" on them. But they appear to be in fantastic shape, and ohm out just fine, so I don't suspect that is the problem.

The pigtails don't appear to be spliced.

I'll let you guys know what the compression test yields.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can replace the pig tails and wrap up the soldered connections so well that you can't tell you ever did anything. If 2 (or more) injector wires are crossed it wouldn't show up on an ohm meter. I'd place a small bet that's your problem.

I hope Jim (Hussler) checks this thread out. He has a list of the original wire colors to each injector. You'd have to open each loom and go back to the original wiring to know if they are hooked up correctly. That reminds me, you can tell if the pigtails have been replaced if any of the injector power wire colors are repeated at the plugs.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:20 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
You can replace the pig tails and wrap up the soldered connections so well that you can't tell you ever did anything. If 2 (or more) injector wires are crossed it wouldn't show up on an ohm meter. I'd place a small bet that's your problem.

I hope Jim (Hussler) checks this thread out. He has a list of the original wire colors to each injector. You'd have to open each loom and go back to the original wiring to know if they are hooked up correctly. That reminds me, you can tell if the pigtails have been replaced if any of the injector power wire colors are repeated at the plugs.
I doubt that is the issue if the trouble started all at once, but just in case here is the IDM pinout:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1314836746

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to pull the connector off the IDM and ohm all the way through the wiring from the injector plug to the IDM connector.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Compression test: Cold engine, full batteries, all glow plugs removed, 6 revolutions.

2: 360
4: 360
6: 380
8: 320

1: 360
3: 360
5: 360
7: 360

I re-tested number 8 twice and came out at 340-350 both times. It is indeed a little low, but not as low as it appeared at first.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Hole number 8 looks to be a little lower than the rest but I'd be thrilled if my compression test had returned those numbers...

Quick Reply: Pull the heads to get to the lifters?