1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Self Reliance on the Road... What do you bring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
My goodness that list is a bit ridiculous. My kind of self reliance is a bit different. If I'm planning on changing a water pump on the side of the road, perhaps I should t go places that I go.

I bring emergency supplies. Nothing more nothing less. No need to be changing all kinds of crazy stuff..

-BLS Medical kit (sometimes)
-Oil
-Spare fuel
-recovery equipment
-Water and MRE
-Blanket
-Basic hand tool set
-off road jack (also useable on road )
-flash light
-ABC Extinguisher
- Digital (offline) and paper maps of all areas I travel when away from civilization
- Maybe a few small items here and there.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Self-fusing silicone stretch wrap (or tape).

This stuff is truly amazing. I use it to weatherproof coaxial cable connectors on antenna towers. It fuses to itself but not to the cable, so it can be removed easily without any sticky adhesive residue. I usually go over it with a few wraps of Scotch 33 or 88 for outdoor applications.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by landmobile
This stuff is truly amazing. I use it to weatherproof coaxial cable connectors on antenna towers. It fuses to itself but not to the cable, so it can be removed easily without any sticky adhesive residue. I usually go over it with a few wraps of Scotch 33 or 88 for outdoor applications.
That stuff wasn't around when I did that kind of work. I always back taped(upside down electrical tape) before installing the the butyl tape and 3 wraps of Scotch 33+.

I have some of this now, it is amazing how well it works and seals stuff up. Tried to use it to seal a transmission cooler line over Memorial weekend(Monday of all days) but it didn't seal. I attribute that more to operator error than the tape though.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I had a nicked radiator hose once... this stuff sealed it right up on a hot summer day.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Tugly, I finally got around to adding more of your excellent suggestions to the list, including this X-Treme tape and the Lever Nuts and IDC connectors.

The list has been edited again today, longer than ever now. It is beyond what I or anyone else might carry en masse, but it is intended to incorporate everyone's idea of what would be great to have on hand to be self reliant. Obviously, this will mean different things to different people, based on past experiences, which all differ.

Yet it is instructive, for me at least, to see all of the possibilities on one page. I probably would never have thought of some of the things you guys have added. Thanks for the suggestions. For new readers to the thread, have a look at the original post, and please add your thoughts as well.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:37 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
You people kill me.

If you want to be miserable driving anywhere while never taking the opportunity to actually ENJOY your trip because of paranoia, you may as well be miserable just buying one of these and road-tripping with it:

At least with the correct crane setup, you could handle an engine replacement on the side of the road once you took the hood off......

Old 07-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Y2KW57
That truck might actually work, but it needs two more doors, just in case we need to bring a live tuner along for the trip.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If the hydraulics for the crane are from a PTO, we may need to bring a diesel-powered hydraulic pump as a backup.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Y2KW57
Smart thinking on the diesel, as that saves us from carrying two types of fuels. I'll bet that Miller Bobcat on the truck has a diesel Kubota as well.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Good Lord!!! I just looked at the updated list again! Whenever I do travel a long distance I do go prepared, but I'd have to hook up a trailer to haul everything on that list with me. Just curious, but is anyone actually carrying everything on this comprehensive list around with them?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Y2KW57
I doubt it. I made (and am still making) the list to be as comprehensive and all encompassing as possible, just to explore the possibilities. Tugly had a great idea about a star rating system, which I've interpreted as a short trip versus long trip versus full timing scenario. It will take more group think to actually make specific star ratings, so I just made the sub lists into a higher to lower priority order. Feel free to comment on priorities that you think are most to least important.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
If you want to be miserable driving anywhere while never taking the opportunity to actually ENJOY your trip because of paranoia, you may as well be miserable just buying one of these and road-tripping with it:

Hmmm, that looks like my truck:

I take it on lots of road trips and I'm not miserable or paranoid. Guess I have to add a crane and welder.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Y2KW57
Awright, that's it. I'm inspired now. Not quite ready for the crane, but let's talk about that System One rack as configured on a UTILITY Bed, with what could possibly be Explorer Rails that can also accommodate a Pace Edwards Bed Locker.

Folks, I don't know if you recognize what LandMobile just posted, but that is a very unusual and not normally seen configuration for a System One rack system. In particular, he is using the angled joints on a 49" wide straight base, which makes the rack narrower than 48" for sheet materials, but good enough for long boards, pipes, and ladders.

Chris, we need to talk. I need more details please.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
the first time, they attempted break-in by punching out my door lock. the second and third time they were successful at robbing me. two new batteries and a stolen matching spare later, i'm keeping my cab and bed empty until i'm stationed/living somewhere calmer… a place i can leave the damn keys in the ignition...

Old 02-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Safooma
New User
Not as much as some folks here, but still a load. The SD is my hunting/tow rig, so I am out in some pretty remote portions of Oregon when hunting or ATVing.

These aren't just for the truck though. Being prepared means more than being ready for break-downs. I prepare for getting stuck(recovery gear), getting lost/stranded and being able to fix a quad or two if necessary while out in the sticks. Some of these things are required to even leave the pavement around here during fire season as well(fire extinguisher, shovel, water)Yes, I too was a boy scout ;-)

2 Spare CPS
2 spare clutch pedal bushings(ford ones, not aftermarket)
Various assortment of zip ties
Extra set of wipers
Roll of gorilla tape
1 Gallon of 5w40
1 Gallon of Anti freeze
10 gallons of fresh water(drinkable)
1 qt ps fluid
1 stocked tool box
2 funnels
roll-o-shop towels
Small 12v high pressure air pump
Bottle jack
Handyman jack
Full size spare
50' tow strap
50' chain(BIG)
Hand operated come-along w/50'cable
collapsible shovel
Fire extinguisher
Tow hooks
****** block
2 wool blankets
First aid kit
2 unopened tarps
Carhartt Jacket
1 pair mechanics gloves
1 pair wool gloves
CB, both hard wired and a hand-held
Fields dressing kit and bag
200' paracord
bag of extra tie down straps(I trailer 4 quads and the straps break)
25' security cable and pad locks
folding saw
PSD shop manual
Extra belt
Assortment of fuses
10x binocs
flares
Spare hoses
5 gallons of diesel
12 volt 800 watt inverter
Extra charged 12v deep cycle battery
Several flashlights(one mechanically charged one)
paper maps of the areas I frequent(weyerhauser, blm and fire protection) and the know-how to actually use them(especially the blm ones)
walking stick
Empty brass picker-upper(I'm a reloader with a bad back)
9mm p-11

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff too.....

Quick Reply: Self Reliance on the Road... What do you bring?