General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Restaurant Supply Stores.... Group buying...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Restaurant Supply Stores.... Group buying...

Have you ever heard that when you buy in bulk you make out?

Can you cut meat?

Do you have containers and a freezer?

Do you think your neighbors are as sick of high food prices as you are?

If you can track down where small restaurants and caterers get their own stuff from and go in on a large buy of something like WHOLE SIRLOINS, and so on...
FOOD SERVICE sized cans of things, CRATES of eggs, instead of flats, BAGS of rice that will amaze you, beans, macaroni, etc...

Then divide them up fairly among you. Those same places sell food service storage containers...
And professional grade cookware (which I love to tears)

There is a whole truckload of money you just might save.

The list goes on - and this is not about Sams Club, or something like that. The places that sell to caterers, little operations. No annual fees, no club dues, just go there and fill up a cart.

FIND THOSE PLACES, and get with your friends or roomies.

It works!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had an uncle that was a butcher,,, i wished i learned more,,,,, cleveland has the west market

Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
These places may be in abundance regionally but they're not so popular around here. Either have an account with a food vendor such as SYSCO or just go to Sam's, BJ's or Costco like most folks do.

Buying #10 sized cans of fruits and veggies is a waste unless you're serving 25 portions at a time.

However, purchasing prime rib loins, strip loins, whole chickens / turkeys, etc is a great idea. Cutting and storing these items is much easier than most people think.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have a 'Chef's Store' just a few miles from my house. They're affiliated with 'U.S. Foods'....which is huge in the restaurant supply market. Yeah.....You can get those 10, 20, 30 lb boxes of frozen meats and stuff pretty cheap.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
We have a 'Chef's Store' just a few miles from my house. They're affiliated with 'U.S. Foods'....which is huge in the restaurant supply market. Yeah.....You can get those 10, 20, 30 lb boxes of frozen meats and stuff pretty cheap.
US Foods is the one company that I avoided at all costs while on active duty. Only until the Coast Guard joined in with DoD's food procurement contract did I even do business with them and it was by force. It's that lowest bidder thingy that usually results in the lowest quality. The bean counters paying the bills don't have to prepare, serve and eat that drool.

That being said, if one isn't savvy to bulk food quality, cost per serving or cost per ounce / what you're paying for additional fat and byproduct or even have a clue about these things, buy what you can see and touch.