Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I am stumped, all suggestions welcome

Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Lazarus88
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I am stumped, all suggestions welcome

1988 F150 5.0, E4OD trans 4X4

Problem: Not shifting correctly, slow to shift up, fine down shifting, when it does shift, it is smooth. Just started. When it doesn't shift, I get off the gas and ease back in, and it shifts.

Problem: Fuel pump (inline high pressure) seems to be overheating, 3 days old, same symptoms as old one, Loud whine / spinning after running for a while.

What I have done: Plugs, wires, coil. Trans filter, new ATF, (full). Oil change, upper rad / low rad hose, and tp sensor. Fuel pump and fuel filter.

2 days ago i was driving and felt what I thought was a slip in second, but without a Tac, it could have been VERY low rpm, bogging down. So I changed the plugs wires and coil, the wires were so corroded inside they would not bend. The truck has sat for 3 years and I just bought it. Engine is humming now (in a good way) ton of power sounds great. But after that and the Trans fluid/filter change it is now not shifting correctly. When I changed the tp Sensor, I did not disconnect the TV cable, for fear of breaking the plastic throttle clip. So i moved the bracket, TB and TB mount all as one.
Could I have stretched the cable, would that cause that?
Could the Filter/fluid change just have exposed a problem, and why in the world is my new fuel pump 3 days old now whining and shutting off when the truck is at operating temp? Any thoughts are welcome at this point, before I pull the tranny...Thanks! Mike

Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazarus88
1988 F150 5.0, E3OD trans 4X4

Problem: Not shifting correctly, slow to shift up, fine down shifting, when it does shift, it is smooth. Just started. When it doesn't shift, I get off the gas and ease back in, and it shifts.

Problem: Fuel pump (inline high pressure) seems to be overheating, 3 days old, same symptoms as old one, Loud whine / spinning after running for a while.

What I have done: Plugs, wires, coil. Trans filter, new ATF, (full). Oil change, upper rad / low rad hose, and tp sensor. Fuel pump and fuel filter.

2 days ago i was driving and felt what I thought was a slip in second, but without a Tac, it could have been VERY low rpm, bogging down. So I changed the plugs wires and coil, the wires were so corroded inside they would not bend. The truck has sat for 3 years and I just bought it. Engine is humming now (in a good way) ton of power sounds great. But after that and the Trans fluid/filter change it is now not shifting correctly. When I changed the tp Sensor, I did not disconnect the TV cable, for fear of breaking the plastic throttle clip. So i moved the bracket, TB and TB mount all as one.
Could I have stretched the cable, would that cause that?
Could the Filter/fluid change just have exposed a problem, and why in the world is my new fuel pump 3 days old now whining and shutting off when the truck is at operating temp? Any thoughts are welcome at this point, before I pull the tranny...Thanks! Mike

Mike, If you did stretch the TV cable, get it "out of the loop with the throttle body, or alter its pressure you'd get exactly the symptoms you've described. Was the fluid change done via gravity or on a machine?

That pump sounds like an infant mortality -- not uncommon (especially with the junk parts we're getting from China) and those cheap internals (windings) they use that are heat sensitive and prone to failure...........it may be working overtime/harder than spec'd due to another problem in the fuel delivery path............

Old 06-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Lazarus88
New User
Thanks!
Is there a way to patch/fix/test the cable, or am I putting a new one on? And I know this is gonna sound noob, but about 2 feet back from my inline high pressure there is a frame rail mounted (oil filter) sized cylinder with fuel ports, one leading to my inline pump. What is this? The truck previously had 2 tanks. This is the only part I have not replaced in my fuel system.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazarus88
Thanks!
Is there a way to patch/fix/test the cable, or am I putting a new one on? And I know this is gonna sound noob, but about 2 feet back from my inline high pressure there is a frame rail mounted (oil filter) sized cylinder with fuel ports, one leading to my inline pump. What is this? The truck previously had 2 tanks. This is the only part I have not replaced in my fuel system.
That's your fuel filter. If the truck was sitting for 3 years, yes, you should definitely change it.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:12 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Is this an AOD, C6?

The AOD TV cable is obsolete. Your fine though, it can take some stress. The Ford cars were more prone to burn up trans from the bushing breaking at the linkage control versus the trucks. You may have altered it some but not to far out. Do a search for AOD TV cable adjustment. And only do a little at a time, or you'll be visiting the transmission shop sooner than later.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Lazarus88
New User
A message from captain obvious

Well, haven't driven it yet, but I did realize the transmission has 2 filters they sell at Oreilly's. One is a flat bottom filter spec'ed out for 2 and 4 wheel drive, and a filter with a "Sump tube"? that sits down in the molded reservoir in the pan. I, my friends, have that one, but installed the flat bottom. So, as I went for a test drive, (less that a mile) I am assuming the trans was not sucking fluid. Yes, folks it is important to match up what comes off to what goes on. I will be driving it this evening to see if THAT corrects the shifting issue. I also took the shortcut and reinstalled my 4 day old hairpin clip on the new fuel pump, thus the reason I have not gotten out to drive it, I seem to have developed a bit of a high pressure leak. That will also be corrected.