6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

BAD diesel mechanics!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 AM
spinto
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAD diesel mechanics!!!

Not all of us have the time or space to repair our own vehicle. This site has been invaluable in troubleshooting problems.

BAD Mechanics are probably the biggest deterrent for many 6.0 owners....IMO.

Those BAD mechanics will through parts at a problem without properly testing for the real cause. In my case the shop here in Toronto that is known for diesel repair both large and small diesel repair tried to take unfair advantage of the situation. All of the classic bad garage practices. I asked for an estimate and they failed to give me one. The wanted to do a diagnostic....i ask for another estimate....nothing!! in the 2 hours after truck was dropped off they have it all apart and were replacing parts....HPOP...ICP.....IPR.....all without approvals. $3100 repair.

PAID!! which pissed me off....Picked the truck up.....drove 2 miles. Filled the tank....wouldnt start! Got the truck back to the shop. It started after a couple of hours. I ask for an estimate and i want to know what they propose to do. No call....no estimate.....i drop by and its torn apart again!! They are or have replaced all of the Orings in the high pressure manifolds and the for the injectors! The truck works again!! BTW....here's your bill for another $3200.....needless to say we're heading to court.

Beware of BAD mechanics. Know your rights. Get it in writing. This site is awesome for trouble shooting issues and knowing what to ask and check for. Thanks for all of the help!!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are partly at fault here,without an estimate,or any prices you should have took the truck somewhere else.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The world is full of them, as are most other profession's. You can thank commision payplans with sale based bonus and no hourly rate that will guarantee you can put food on your table.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 PM
spinto
Junior User
Originally Posted by KIDkiser
You are partly at fault here,without an estimate,or any prices you should have took the truck somewhere else.
I'm not at fault at all. They started on the truck before i had a chance to do anything. i went by to check on the estimate since a hadn't heard anything....they had it taken apart.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:05 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like he was trying to get an estimate both times. How is that his fault? I would agree that the diagnostic portion should have been a flat or hourly rate, but they should have never taken the truck apart without consent in writing.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM
spinto
Junior User
Originally Posted by jswartz84
Sounds like he was trying to get an estimate both times. How is that his fault? I would agree that the diagnostic portion should have been a flat or hourly rate, but they should have never taken the truck apart without consent in writing.
Thanks....

Old 06-14-2014, 12:12 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
That's what I'm saying he took the truck in,didn't get anything in writing,left the truck there so of course there going to think he wants the truck fixed.lesson learned here,never leave a truck at the dealership without telling them to call you BEFORE they start work without a detailed list of what will be replaced,and an estimate.and always get this in writing.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:16 PM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well for starters don't blame the mechanics.

Mechanics only repair stuff.

Shop management should be taken to task.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:21 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
That's what I'm saying he took the truck in,didn't get anything in writing,left the truck there so of course there going to think he wants the truck fixed.lesson learned here,never leave a truck at the dealership without telling them to call you BEFORE they start work without a detailed list of what will be replaced,and an estimate.and always get this in writing.
No. Under absolutely no circumstances should any shop do any engine work without producing a quote, then getting the customers signature on it prior to starting the work.

Spinto will have an easy time in court with this one.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jswartz84
No. Under absolutely no circumstances should any shop do any engine work without producing a quote, then getting the customers signature on it prior to starting the work.

Spinto will have an easy time in court with this one.
But they wouldn't give him one,and he still left it there.thats why I'm saying if they would not give him a quote,or anything in writing,he should have took the truck with him....

Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
But they wouldn't give him one,and he still left it there.thats why I'm saying if they would not give him a quote,or anything in writing,he should have took the truck with him....
I understand what your saying, he said he dropped it off for a quote, not a repair.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
BUt the 2nd Time he took Back is His Fault

If I was the Judge I would get his money back for the First round of Repairs

But I would Stick him with the second round repair bill

Sorry Pretty safe to say he knew how it would go and still went back

This is a great example of why we need a GOOD/BAD Shop List

This is CLEARLY an Example of a SHOP F^$%ING its customers in more ways then 1

Old 06-14-2014, 12:59 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
You Got Screwed all the way around for that I am Sorry

Why would you go back a Second time??

Whats the Name of this shop and where is it at??? I think I will start Making the List and if they wont let us Post it then that's Fine I can email to folks

Even if there was a Misunderstanding with how to proced on the repair/Estimate they still thru a Bunch of parts at it that Didn't fix the problem because they don't know the In and Outs of the 6.0L and had No idea how to test it

IMHO this shop makes the BAD List not just because he didn't get a Quote in the first place but they Failed to fix the Problem

I wouldn't put a shop on a DO NOT USE List over a Quote not being given there could been a Misunderstanding somewhere His word against theres type deal

The Straw that Breaks the camels back for me is they thru parts at it and didn't fix the problem and NO QUOTE is just Icing on the Cake

Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by stuart1
Well for starters don't blame the mechanics.

Mechanics only repair stuff.

Shop management should be taken to task.

The Mechanics Normally get paid for the type repair Bigger Repair Bigger Payday for Mechanics.

That's^^^Fine as long as they Honest

The Problem Lies when the Mechanic or Management is Low on Money and needs a Extra Boost. And Low and Behold all the Sudden a Bad Battery becomes a Engine Overhaul or the like

With the Mechanic and Shop Management working together like they do there is a Good chance they will cover each others Back

Either one can Screw ya the wrench can Lie about the problem if he having a slow day to make up for it

This Problem will always exsist when shops are basically getting Paid Piece rate and as the auto gets more advanced the Owners have No Idea so its Hard for an Owner to Challenge a Shops Conclusion

Old 06-14-2014, 02:10 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
WTF??? Which shop did you take your truck to? This is news to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD diesel mechanics!!!