6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Fass pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM
brian1253
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fass pump

So I picked up a fass pump the other day and I found this

FASS filtration deception. - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Wouldn't ya know I found it right after I bought one and every body only talks about how great they are but it says in the posts the water separator doesn't even separate water untill gravity does it after the truck is off. Have they improved any since then? Should I try to return this thing? It says they have changed filter manufacturers since then but I'm skeptical they are trying to market a product.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Booma
Junior User
Wow, what a read. I have to assume that Airdog must have the same issues since they are built by the same manufacturer. I just bought an Airdog 2 and now have some search to do, something I should have done beforehand. My fault of course. I am a new diesel owner and take a lot of stock in what I read here and naturally was horrified by the stories of injector/hpfp failures related to water issues. My decision to buy the aftermarket Airdog was only for the filtration and reliability it promised, not performance. So now maybe I have less water separation protection than OEM??????

Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 AM
brian1253
Junior User
Originally Posted by Booma
Wow, what a read. I have to assume that Airdog must have the same issues since they are built by the same manufacturer. I just bought an Airdog 2 and now have some search to do, something I should have done beforehand. My fault of course. I am a new diesel owner and take a lot of stock in what I read here and naturally was horrified by the stories of injector/hpfp failures related to water issues. My decision to buy the aftermarket Airdog was only for the filtration and reliability it promised, not performance. So now maybe I have less water separation protection than OEM??????
We were lied to by people in marketing!! That never happened before!! But don't worry there's hope. It's all in the filters you use. There's water separators that take out over 90% water (both emulsified and not) and filters that take out water along with being a 3 micron filter. If you add up both filters at lets say 90% each you are left with 1% water left and that is at 90% some water separators are better. I have been doing some looking but am having trouble finding all of the specs on all of the filters that will work for me. If anybody already did this research feel free to chime in at any time. I only feel half ripped off.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:07 AM
brian1253
Junior User
Oh and air dog and fass is two different company's it's a father son thing and they had a falling out and one of them created the other company. I would guess they don't do business with each other. They are similar but different.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Booma
Junior User
Been doing a little research and you are correct in that the sky is not falling. There are several manufacturers that produce excellent water/fuel separation filters. One of the best is Baldwin which has been tested to remove 99% free water and 96.5% emulsified water on every pass. My personal good news is that Airdog now sells their units equipped with Baldwin filters. But if you have an early Airdog the Baldwin part number BF1275 may be a good choice next time you change your filter.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet showing some filter spec's;

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...FilterData.jpg

Here's a link to one vendor who has a very good cross reference capability that you can use to find what will fit your FASS unit;

Filter Products