Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Michelin or Firestone

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:29 PM
caedo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin or Firestone

So the previous owner put different rims and lugs on my truck so I'm stuck with these stupid 9" wide rims that need 285 width tires... I'm stuck though on which tires to get, I want to get Michelin LTX A/T2 but they are new in the 285 size and still a little hard to find. My other choice would be the Firestone Destination A/T which are a lot easier to get. Should I wait for the Michelins or are the Destinations a good equivalent?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:36 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Get the Michelins & never look back...this is one case where I really believe you get what you pay for

Old 06-02-2014, 12:38 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by cj45lc
Get the Michelins & never look back...this is one case where I really believe you get what you pay for
I agree... the problem is that im paying a lot more for them... with shipping especially. I can get the firestones in town, but its about $150 to ship the michelins and they are already $200 more for a set.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:57 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the AT2 and they drive like a dream, ride is a bit more stiff than load range B and C, don't understand why you can't get tires near were you live?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 PM
caedo
Senior User
Everyone has the 265's but Michelin just started making the 285's so hardly no one has them in stock yet... therefor, if I want them NOW ill need to pay shipping from the nearest wholesale distributing warehouse where ever that is... and they want $150 to ship all 4.

Last edited by caedo; 06-02-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edit: 285's
Old 06-02-2014, 01:03 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Absolutely worth the extra money. I have had several sets of Michelins and a few sets of Firestones, including the Destination AT's and there is no comparison. Michelins a re much better riding and wearing tire.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
They are absolutely worth the money.

HOWEVER....

I've been running the 285's (A/T2's) on my Truck and Excursion for over 4 years now. I guess there is a chance that they may have just revised the tread or something like that on the A/T2's, but they've been available in 285's for a good while now. If you have someone there telling you that Michelin is just now making the 285's... they are blowing smoke!

EDIT... My comments above assume you are talking about tires for the 16" rim diameter, which is what I am running with my OEM rims. If, on the other hand, you are talking about a larger rim diameter, then your sales guy may be correct about the 285's "just now" being available.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250_
They are absolutely worth the money.

HOWEVER....

I don't know what you're talking about with the 285's being "new" for the Michelin AT2's. I've been running the 285's on my Truck and Excursion for over 4 years now. I guess there is a chance that they may have just revised the tread or something like that on the AT2's, but they've been available in 285's for a good while now. If you have someone there telling you that Michelin is just now making the 285's they are blowing smoke!
Hmm... my guess is that they must have just revamped em or something cause Tire Rack has "new" sticker by their description and anywhere iv called has said that they "don't stock them yet" or "havn't received that shipment yet" etc. etc.... my main tire place says they are getting them in 2-3 weeks

Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Interesting, because like I said, I bought my first set for my Excursion 4-1/2 years ago (original thread discussing my initial impression of the AT2's -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ck-wheels.html ). I also know that Tire Rack was selling them back then, too, because I even linked to their Tire Spec page down in post #11 that initial thread.

Anyway, I would wait the 2-3 weeks if you can. They are great running tires. I'm not considering anything else as I look to replace that first set on the Excursion sometime this fall and the front pair on my truck in next month or so.

EDIT... I just looked at the Tire Rack sight, and can't figure out if something has changed in the tire or not. The tread design looks identical to everything I have on my vehicles. Could be a difference in the siping or something else less noticeable.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM
caedo
Senior User
Hmm, interesting. Thanks so much guys, I'm running on cords on one of my tires so ill drive it as little as possible for the next couple weeks and then get a set of these bad boys slapped on after replacing ball joints, tie rods ends, and hub bearings! Oh joy! I appreciate it a lot!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Get all that done and you're going to fall more in love with your truck... all over again!!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
The only issue I have with A/T Tires is there is seldom a tread warranty. Therefore I personally wouldn't spend the extra money for a tire which may or may not last.

The Michelins ride better because of softer sidewall construction. I agree that Michelins are a superior tire. We replaced all the Michelin's with Bridgestone and Good Year on our Emergency Response Apparatus because the tended to roll more (sidewalls) in turns. I wouldn't think that to be the case driving normally.

I've had the Firestone and wouldn't do it again.

I just put the Cooper HT Load Range E with a 60k warranty for under $800 with road hazard and wear warranty. I guess I'll see in time.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:43 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
To me the Michelin dint do as good in the woods walls to soft I don't like the destination ware fast my transforce lasted good

Old 06-02-2014, 02:49 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I honestly don't believe you could classify the AT2's as a "may or may not last" kind of tire. They've been around a good while and have excellent reviews, even from multiple brothers in here. Besides, the info on Tire Rack makes clear that the AT2's come with tread life warranty. What I have NOT been able to get on their AT's, though, is "road side" warranty coverage.

Before I got the Michelin's no my truck, I ran a set of the Bridgestone Duelers in 285's and split their time between my Excursion and my truck (first half of their life on the Ex, the last half of their life on my truck). When new, they felt like I was glued on the road... tremendous curve hugging traction and excellent water removal. However, their traction is a result of softer rubber, so I did not get sufficient wear from them, and that's why I swapped back to the Michelins.

I continue to hear good things about the Cooper HT's, and am tempted to try a set, but their tread life warranty is not as good as the Michelins. I'll have to mull it over a bit.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 PM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
I have never ran the Michelins but they will be my next tire. The bridgestone Dueller i have now are to soft and does not wear well at all.

Quick Reply: Michelin or Firestone