Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front Suspension Brand Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM
caedo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front Suspension Brand Suggestions

I NEED to replace my ball joints and tie rod ends. The current ball joints have a straight grease zerk out the top that you can't get to because the U-joint there is in the way so its impossible to grease the tops. When I put the new ones in I'm gonna try to put a 90* zerk in there so that I can actually grease em... But, what brands do y'all suggest? I know Moog stuff is really good, but I don't know if there is a beefed up tie rod end available or better ball joints, from different brands, etc. The Dynatrac ball joints look pretty appealing but they are ungodly expensive. Anyone have experience with them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I try and figure out what is best for my truck up there.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
sportsdad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used Moog's top line stuff. Make sure non of the zerks are pressed in and you can put whatever you want. I've read about other brands being better, but I've had good results for decades with Moog. This is an easy job.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Motorcraft... why not go with what ford put on the truck when it rolled off the factory line?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by VegasFordSD
Motorcraft... why not go with what ford put on the truck when it rolled off the factory line?
Because I'm not sure Motorcraft has the best quality design. That is an option though. How about XRF?

Old 06-02-2014, 01:02 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
MOOG, is what I replaced with, the shop did life time replacement.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by jwhitetail
MOOG, is what I replaced with, the shop did life time replacement.
How long have you had them? How do they feel? and how are they holding up?

Old 06-02-2014, 01:13 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I have been less than impressed with my Moog hub assemblies. I have had to have 3 of them replaced (under warranty, but still...) in the first 18 months. If I were doing ball joints and tie rods, I would be trying XRF this time.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by HKusp
I have been less than impressed with my Moog hub assemblies. I have had to have 3 of them replaced (under warranty, but still...) in the first 18 months. If I were doing ball joints and tie rods, I would be trying XRF this time.
Exactly what I don't want to have to do, keep replacing them...

Old 06-02-2014, 02:14 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by caedo
How long have you had them? How do they feel? and how are they holding up?
5 years so far no problem.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 PM
sportsdad
Senior User
My MOOG parts have been in place for 75,000 miles or so. On and off the ranch travel. I've replaced front end parts on every vehicle I've owned for close to 40 years. I've always used MOOG. The only vehicle I ever had problems with was a 85 Extra Heavy 3/4 ton Chevy P/U. It ate brakes and suspension parts and engines and transmissions and tires and gas and........

Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by caedo
I NEED to replace my ball joints and tie rod ends. The current ball joints have a straight grease zerk out the top that you can't get to because the U-joint there is in the way so its impossible to grease the tops. When I put the new ones in I'm gonna try to put a 90* zerk in there so that I can actually grease em... But, what brands do y'all suggest? I know Moog stuff is really good, but I don't know if there is a beefed up tie rod end available or better ball joints, from different brands, etc. The Dynatrac ball joints look pretty appealing but they are ungodly expensive. Anyone have experience with them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I try and figure out what is best for my truck up there.
For the tie rod at the pitman arm I tried the upmarket AC Delco part, only got a year out of it before it was toast. Two years on the MOOG link and still tight as a nuns' burro. If it gives out "too soon" I'll try the XRF, but I have seen others replace them, check this link.

Ball joints I also considered the Dynatracs but there is little feedback to be had. Plus just too many Benjamins. Instead two days ago I installed (with plenty of help) half of the Dana/Spicer 2020314 kit. Got a late start and only got the driver side done. I figured go with parts made by guys who made the axle. Complete kit with all seals, o rings etc. No grease zerks to interfere. Non-serviceable just like oem, cuz they are oem. Had 'em on two days, love 'em!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
For the tie rod at the pitman arm I tried the upmarket AC Delco part, only got a year out of it before it was toast. Two years on the MOOG link and still tight as a nuns' burro. If it gives out "too soon" I'll try the XRF, but I have seen others replace them, check this link.

Ball joints I also considered the Dynatracs but there is little feedback to be had. Plus just too many Benjamins. Instead two days ago I installed (with plenty of help) half of the Dana/Spicer 2020314 kit. Got a late start and only got the driver side done. I figured go with parts made by guys who made the axle. Complete kit with all seals, o rings etc. No grease zerks to interfere. Non-serviceable just like oem, cuz they are oem. Had 'em on two days, love 'em!
I agree David... I have Moog ball joints on mine and going on 5 years running and still tight, however, before this set, was on original Spicer b/j's not too bad to get well over 150,000 miles out of a set. I put on cheapo AC Delco tie rods and I have torn boots now and the steering hasnt been the same. Was witness to a set from Motorcraft, and I can attest that they are quite stout and are holding up well on the truck so far.