6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Coolant Advise & Dealer Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 04:10 PM
JandC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Advise & Dealer Suggestions

Been pulling 5th wheel across county from Illinois to the state of Washington. My 2012 F350 showed a message "check coolant additive" a day after going through some pretty steep mountain grades on a day that was 104 degrees. I checked that morning and the little plastic reserve tank was down so I added about 1/2 of a gallon, reset, and all was good. Have gone another 500 miles or so and it was down slightly again, no light yet though. Can't detect any leaking nor can I smell antifreeze. Anyhow I want to have this checked plus have an oil change done around Bothell Washington. We will be at a CG there and I noticed that Ford Of Kirkland appeared close. First of all, does my antifreeze problems sound like radiator going south? Secondly, has anyone had their 6.7 serviced at this dealership?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:29 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JandC
Been pulling 5th wheel across county from Illinois to the state of Washington. My 2012 F350 showed a message "check coolant additive" a day after going through some pretty steep mountain grades on a day that was 104 degrees. I checked that morning and the little plastic reserve tank was down so I added about 1/2 of a gallon, reset, and all was good. Have gone another 500 miles or so and it was down slightly again, no light yet though. Can't detect any leaking nor can I smell antifreeze. Anyhow I want to have this checked plus have an oil change done around Bothell Washington. We will be at a CG there and I noticed that Ford Of Kirkland appeared close. First of all, does my antifreeze problems sound like radiator going south? Secondly, has anyone had their 6.7 serviced at this dealership?
The check coolant additive message is reminding you to check for PH being out of spec and for contamination of the coolant. It happens to all 6.7s. The coolant is organic acid technology, thats why its necessary to check ph levels.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by JandC
What coolant did you add?

Your truck takes a specific coolant that almost no parts store sells. I get mine from the local dealer, it is full strength and needs to be cut 50/50 with deionized water(I use distilled water from walmart).

As to it losing coolant, many of us have bad radiators in our trucks, they leak at the seem on the rear left side. The coolant then runs down the outside of the frame just behind the bumper, right below the drain valve on the radiator.