Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hpop and turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So now to the tuning part what would be ideal if he would want to spend the money on that part since he already has the superchips tuneror would the superchips that he has already still work?

Oh and what about a new intake elbow?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dhag911
So now to the tuning part what would be ideal if he would want to spend the money on that part since he already has the superchips tuneror would the superchips that he has already still work?

Oh and what about a new intake elbow?
Best tuner - you just stepped on a land mine... I can hear it ticking.

IMHE (humble experience), it's not the tuner hardware - it's the tuning guy. Mass-produced chips (like Superchips) have a corporate boilerplate program. Many smaller tune vendors have their own boilerplate tunes, but they also "dial" the tunes for specific trucks. A tweak to the shift pressures on a truck with a BTS transmission is technically a custom tune, but I would stick with the term "tweaked" tune - like flexing a guitar string. If you modify the truck beyond the capacity of a boilerplate tune, you land squarely in the "custom tune" category to make the engine run right.

One step beyond custom tuning is the "live tune". This is when the programmer sits in the truck with all his computer hardware connected to the truck while it's driven through testing scenarios, and the programmer adjusts the fueling and the transmission for optimal operation:

The hardware: There are the programmers - these program the vehicle PCM with the engine off, and there is a substantial time issue. There are "switch on the fly" tuners where the chip bypasses the PCM, and can change tuning at the press of a button or turn of a **** as you drive.

Another aspect of chips/programmers is how the programs are added: Most hardware needs to be sent to the vendor to be updated/upgraded. A few products can be updated via email or a server on the internet. DP products are proprietary - there are two tuning providers (to date) that can alter these. The PHP Hydra is far more universal (like an Android vs. Apple), and several tuners program these via email.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Best tuner - you just stepped on a land mine... I can hear it ticking.

IMHE (humble experience), it's not the tuner hardware - it's the tuning guy.
In other words......It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Alright... I'll ask... How much money is your buddy looking to spend? This determinants how deep the knowledge needs to be thought into.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Last hijack ...

So Rich... if it is perfectly fine to run 45psi in these trucks..
If that were sufficient pressure..

Why did the Caterpillar engineers who designed the system chose 65psi as standard operating supply pressure?

Would it not have saved significant manufacturing cost to install a 45psi pump if that were adequate?

I know from personal experience that a truck running higher pressure outperforms itself than when running lower pressure. I saw this in real time on my truck. The pressure restriction caused by my spin on pre-pump filter DID subdue my pressure potential. Immediately after i bypassed it, Motorbug showed me the difference.

You are wrong Rich.

Lower fuel pressure will further add to detriment in aging injectors.
As the poppet valve wears, more effort is needed to reopen the fuel chamber after injection. Lower pressure aiding the valve return weakens/slows the action. As a result, in the time it takes for a cycle to complete, the chamber might not refill completely after having to fight the valve open. A chamber not filled completely results in a hammering effect that will speed injector wear.

These things were designed to run at 65psi for a reason.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
45 PSI is not the goal... it is the dip. If 45 PSI was the goal, then 30 PSI to 35 PSI would be the dip... and you and I both know that doesn't work.

IF the fuel injector is full before each firing, any pressure beyond getting that task done is a waste. Now... if something else is at play - then 45 PSI might not work. That picture of the rubber all over the road? That was 45 PSI. If Stinky can do that, Motorbug should not experience any performance loss at that fuel pressure.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 AM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well he is wanting to spend a whole basically just making sure that the superchips would work good but if something for a couple hundred bucks more would be a lot better he might go that route.