Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Tony and Nikki's 1973 Ford F-250 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Nice looking truck Tony. Brings back a lot of memories of when mine was driveable. Mine was also orange with the white Explorer stripes.
I let mine sit for thirteen years before I got serious on bringing it back to life. Major mistake on my part.
Here's what the Pumpkin looked like when I started. You can't tell from the one picture but there was a lot of rust and cancer, so bad that I did a cab and bed swap.
Here's a link to my build thread in case you're interested:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...with-pics.html

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,287 Likes on 2,443 Posts
Tony good call on the rims 16's, looks great and it will give you a ton on tire options in the future. Look into getting some bumper guards, that is why the black bumper edge guards are there and look odd.

Or you can replace the whole front bumper with the none bumper guard one. If you try to remove the bump pads, you will have holes to contend with.

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Attached Images      
Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Anthony_Franco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely will follow your build thread! I'm addicted to these trucks, haha. Also, I've been wanting to get the bumps since I bought it. First thing first is I have to replace the shocks, I'm getting sone sway on bumps, theyre leaking and the bushings are shot. Thinking about using rancho 9000s. Are they a decent quality for our trucks?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:25 AM
Anthony_Franco
New User
Got a leak coming from the water pump, was curious if there is any must get modified pumps? Going to flush and clean the system (obviously) then put a failsafe 195 degree thermostat in. Might get an aluminum radiator and do the complete system. Any ideas or definite 'Don't do's?'

Old 06-20-2014, 07:54 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Old 06-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Anthony_Franco
New User
Its an H Vin 390 Fe, but have yet to pull it apart and mic it. It has a four speed Trans, L-1-2-3 and I'm still trying to figure out the gear ratio in my Dana. Thanks for the reads I'll look into Redroad! I keep getting more and more addicted. My pockets are really hurting with all my ideas! Haha

Old 06-20-2014, 01:49 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Anthony_Franco
Its an H Vin 390 Fe, but have yet to pull it apart and mic it. It has a four speed Trans, L-1-2-3 and I'm still trying to figure out the gear ratio in my Dana. Thanks for the reads I'll look into Redroad! I keep getting more and more addicted. My pockets are really hurting with all my ideas! Haha
I figured in LA traffic @ bumper to bumper if you want the A/C to work and not overheat the electric fan upgrade is a good edition .. On the water pump I'm running ToughOne Water Pump Water Pump T5057: Purchase the best Water Pump at Advance Auto Parts It's been good so far (2 years)

Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice truck..welcome aboard and get ready for Ford truck info overload.

I had a blast and still learn stuff all the time.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tony, first of welcome! Ton of info and good people on these pages.

Secondly, beautiful truck. I had a 79 dent in high school and I still miss it about every day (though that was only about ten years ago haha). I still have my first truck, a 1969 f100 4x4 and can't wait to start my own build.

I think we'd all like to see some more pictures. So share me if ya got em lol

Oh and if you don't wanna hassle with those 16.5's I can give em a good home for ya lol. I know where to find some tires ;-) lol

Jason

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad your here Tony and glad to see I'm not the only one who has named his truck. I have a 77 F150 4X4 with a 300 inline six and four speed trans. I was going to name it Betty my my Marine Corps nephew said it needed a more masculine name so I renamed it Marion. John Waynes real first name

Old 07-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Anthony_Franco
New User
Once more, thanks again guys for all the welcomes and support! So, I've been having some issue with my truck lately and thought you guys may be interesting in a laugh at my misfortune.. or.. probably my inability to take my time.

- So, it all started about two weeks ago when I was bored and thought I would try something. 'Ignitior' from Pertronix, heard nothing but pros. Increase in gas mileage, power, response and reliability. Cool.

-I ordered said part from WWW.SummitRacing.Com Part #1281. Paid the $98.22 for it including shipping. The day following that I was super amped up to do it, so during my lunch I went outside and hastily removed the cap, the condenser, points and grounding wire off of the coil. The ring terminal on the end of the ground wire would not clear the access hole for the wires to feed through, so I end up cutting it with a knife and gently set it aside. On the install, reverse had to be done to the ignitior, cut the terminal off and halfass crimped new terminals on. I gapped the ignitor from the magnetic sleeve, and put the positive where the ground wire came off of and put the negative where the wire comes from the igniton and replaced the cap in the process.

- All excited I jump in my truck and slam the clutch down and try to crank over. ROOooomMMM ROOooomMMM RooooomMMM. Not having a spark I look over the dash inbetween the hood and the cab, I see smoke coming from the cap.. Smoke is always fun. I get out, remove the cap and whatcha know! Giant hole in the side of the $100 part. Sweet, probably should've read the instructions? Nawh. Anywho, I was out of time and had to head back to work. Throughout the rest of the night I was debating what I had done wrong, then it dawned on me. Power comes from the coil, and ground off the points onto the coil. Well, there's the problem I reversed the frickin' polarities.. I ordered a new part through O'Reillys a lot cheaper for the next day.

- Next day rolls around and I replace the part, removing the ignitor and placing the ground on the ground, tightening the bolt and for the positive removing the switch wire connector and popping it back on after. Start it up and it sounds beautiful. (Other than one of my exhaust valves not seating and my obnoxious exhaust leak.)

After a few slides of the tail around the parking lot, I parked it, noticing a slight hesitation. Out of habit, I check for a vacuum leak, and of course, a leak! Off of the Vacuum port T thingy there was two small hoses with bolts in them(Which you guys will bash me, and correcting me on the name). After properly sealing the three leaks and the two nipples off the back of the carb, it runs wayyy better. Cool. So that adventure is done and the next one to come.

Last edited by Anthony_Franco; 07-13-2014 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Errors.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:05 AM
Anthony_Franco
New User
So, two-three days later I start it up in the morning to warm up before my drive to the wonderful world of O'Reillys where I work. (sarcasm) I let the truck warm up, and get my lunch ready, make sure I have everything for the day. Once it warmed up I put in L/1 Gear to crawl up the hill I live on. I let off the clutch and it sounded fine, so I opened the throttle a little and.. *BOOOM! PAWWW* Like a 70's Cartoon Show the carb starts spitting loud sounds. (Loud enough by the way my bestfriend/neighbor comes out asking if I was okay.) I knodded, and I tried to crank it back over. Nothing. ****. Well, got the starter fluid I keep behind my seat. (A Must) and I give a short spray or two and crank it over. *Vroom* starts right up.. but running worse than ever. I lift the hood.. checking the wires, dist. movement, everything's good. I look at the vacuum ports.. It was enough pressure to blow all the vacuum lines open again. As I embarrisingly enough get on my hands and knees to find the missing caps, I think of what could've caused this.. I was assuming it must've been running lean cause it was on the hill all night. Found them and reinserted them. I crank it over and take off the ebrake and rolled to a flat. I let it run alittle just to make sure the floats weren't getting caught or something. After a little while I looked at my watch and realized I was running late. Panicing, I shrug it off and put it in gear. I let off the clutch just fine.. I slowly open the throttle up the hill and had no issues. stopped at the sign at the top (We're known for our 'California Stops' but no worries not me, even on a hill with a big ol' truck.) Anywho, I roll back a little due to hill and I let off the clutch slowly and throttle a little quicker I fully let off and its good to go, but there was a car behind me impatiently riding on me like all cali' driver and I shift too second gear and I opened the throttle half way.. and! Once more coughing and then a LOUD backfire(I think, could've echoed, I had my windows up.) and dead once more, and I luckly roll into a parking spot and park and jogged to work... I was later able to start it up and drive it back home but I BURNED my clutch keeping my revs high.

- What do you think could cause such a thing? Lean, timing, carb?
-I've set the timing week before the ignitor
-tuned the carb first thing when I got it, with the factor setting.. fully close the valves and slowly open 1/8th turns until the the idle is at 800.
- I have yet to play with the dist. to see if there is any play.
-nor have I vacuum checked my vacuum advance.

It will idle, hesitant but will. Mid rev (by ear) will run smoother but can still detect a frequent misfire and at full rev (trying not to kill the engine) it will completely smoothen out or so it seems. (could just be misfire is less noticeable over the annoying exhaust leak.)

Would appreciate all opinions and suggestions. I apologize for the loud and all over the place rant. Tried to keep it organized but I'm just frustrated. Even the bicycle I had been riding while trying to figure it out broke on me. Go figure, haha.

Last edited by Anthony_Franco; 07-13-2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Errors, Errors everywhere.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Anthony_Franco
New User
Vacuum tested the advance and it will not retain vacuum, it slowly dissipates. Check timing again, it's at the 7 degrees I originally put it on. It's idling at around 400 rpm. When I remove the PCV Valve from the cover it'll jump up to around 600 but will still have this increase/decrease in rpms. When removed large amount smoke coming from opening. (Can't tell if blow-by or just the oil burning on the exhaust from my valve covers.) Going to go buy spark plugs, wires, rotor, pcv valve and fuel filter and see if anything changes. If not, I'm going to just replace my distributor and rebuild my Carb. Anyone know a good thread for rebuilding the 2100's?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Anthony_Franco
New User
Ended up just being a fuel filter that was completely clogged. Odd though, on the account that I replaced it less than 500 miles ago.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Anthony_Franco
Ended up just being a fuel filter that was completely clogged. Odd though, on the account that I replaced it less than 500 miles ago.
If the truck sat for a while and the tank and fuel lines weren't cleaned out before putting it back on the road it would not be surprising ..

See here on 2150/2100 rebuild

and here

Quick Reply: Tony and Nikki's 1973 Ford F-250 Build