Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

4x4 Crewcab short bed- how?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 AM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Crewcab short bed- how?

Hey guys. I've asked this in the 80-86 forum to no avail.

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Maybe because I should've asked in the 87 and up forums?
thought id check here as you guys are the Australian chapter so most likely have the most info to help in my situation.
I'm considering a project involving a crew-cab F truck on a short bed and must be 4x4 at the end of it. not worried about the back tray as I want a drop-side trailer type so a rusty or rear-ended item would be a start.
I've done some digging and the ones most like what I'm after (ex US) are the early 90's Centurion F150s.
Ford started doing them themselves in the mid to late 90's on but they are still getting up in price and wrong configuration, want a 6 seater.
I just cant afford a later model (usually 5 seaters also) but if the project looks unrealistic costwise, Ill let it go.
I've found a couple of old f100's and I believe a F350 which was the closest to what I'm after, but that's it on the Australian side, so not much to pick from
I would ultimately like to fit a 460 with LPG so an older truck and carby engine is probably easier, but maybe a good 351W/C would do also? I've built a good 400 for my 72 Galaxie so I know these go well, but a 460 appeals to me. Big engines in big trucks make sense.
Maybe buy in a centurion ex US(but they are too late a model to bring in aren't they?) as they are pretty cheap and find a donor for the RHD conversion?
Or find appropriate vehicles here to match up but don't want to get ripped off there buying something pricey just to throw most of it away.
Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by crsmiffy; 05-28-2014 at 05:12 AM. Reason: hit submit early
Old 05-28-2014, 10:58 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
How "Shortbed" are you thinking? The standard Heavy Duty (F250+) Crew Cab/Shortbed has a 6.75' bed. An F150 shortbed is a 5.5' bed.

I'm not sure what wheelbase the Centurion uses, but I think its shorter than either of those. Is that what you are thinking? Put a Crew Cab body on a shorter chassis?

No Super/Crew Cabs were ever built/imported officially to Australia for the old trucks, so they are only private imports (i.e. pretty rare).
If you are importing a whole vehicle, 1987 I believe is the cutoff year (anything newer and importing it requires a REVS for it... i.e. complicated). You can import vehicle parts however (but will need to be fitted with Australian VIN etc. for registration).

Honestly, your easiest bet will be to find a more recent XL spec Crew Cab with the 4.2 diesel - I am not sure if its in your budget, but it will be a hell of a lot less work. All the XL's were 6 seaters.
Another option would be find a crew cab body in the states, have it sent over, and bolt it up to an Australian regular cab frame (this will get you a very short bed!). You will probably need an engineers certificate for this.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 PM
crsmiffy
Elder User
Thank you.
No budget yet but am starting work on a FIFO role soon so looking at something (got to spend money on my Galaxie as well so cant get too carried away) in the way of family UTE.
There is a link to an ad on gumtree on the forum link I posted in this thread. That doesnt look to far from it but later model would be nice. Then there is this one I found yesterday.

1977ford f-100 dual cab ute | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia New South Wales - Dubbo Region | 1045031352

Yup, Crewcab on a short chassis, something that looks like an old equivalent of one of the new F trucks like the Raptor for example. Cab finishes just ahead of the rear wheels. The 5.5 foot bed sounds about right but I really need to lay my eyes on some to get a proper feel for it.
Don't want a complete land barge. Width is OK but overall length must be limited somewhat
Engineers cert is expected if I'm going to Frankenstein something.
I'll have a look at the diesel XL but not the power-plant I'm after. Id rather go cruiser/patrol if that was the case.
Cheers and keep it coming

Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
Pre 89 are the only ones you can bring in on a private import. A lot of the centurians were based on the f250 which means TTB front end in 4x4. There were some based on f350's but rare.

You could make friends with someone with a RAWS lic to bring you in something newer but they charge like a wounded bull.

In WA they only have to be 15 years old to keep it lhd but its 30 years old for other states. Im just gonna keep mine a left hooker.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 AM
crsmiffy
Elder User
pre 89 ok as is the TTB front. Some lift but nothing drastic so would be fine. Ill just have to keep my eyes open I guess.