Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Trans temp sender length for E40D if installed at Test Port

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:40 AM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Max Trans temp sender length for E40D if installed at Test Port

Getting ready to install an Autometer trans temp gauge. I read in the diesel section that beware of the longer senders provided by some maufacturers, notably Autometer. The warning is that that they may be too long and protrude into trans and hit something (at test port location). I have sifted through other posts but have found no confirmation to this heed of warning.

In atached pic you can see my Autometer sender is about 1" long (portion that enters trans).

Any way to confirm that this sender is too long? I can measure depth when I remove test port plug but that wouldn't tell me if parts move in that location and can hit sender when trans is operating.

There are senders avail from Autometer that are shorter. Before I purchase and install one, I want to see if there are any problems installing the one that came with my gauge.

BTW...my gauge is an Autometer #3857 trans temp gauge (electric, stepper motor, full sweep).

just found these links.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...re-sender.html

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=111440

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ort-depth.html

so, based on this.....I checked the Autometer website and they do not sell a shorter sending unit for my gauge (only offer one for the short sweep, non stepper motor gauges).

Is there some kind of a brass fitting that can be used to back up distance so only 1/2 of sender tip makes it into trans? Would this plumbing solution not be advisable?

Thanks

Last edited by SoCalAngler; 05-24-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added links
Old 05-24-2014, 11:12 AM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm subscribing to this thread. Sounds like we are doing a lot of the same stuff.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:17 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
well, i just went down to hardware store and found a brass water fitting that will allow sender to be installed into fitting and fitting to be installed into trans. Problem with this set up is it covers the sides of the sender completely with only the front tip of probe exposed to trans fluid. Not sure this will give an accurate reading.
i thought of washers to back it out but the threads are tapered, I believe, so this will not work.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Just measured the test port plug, sender, and depth of test port hole.

Test port plug: 5/8" (from shoulder of bolt to end of threads
Sender: 15/16" (from shoulder of bolt to end of threads)
lenght of probe: 9/16"
depth of test port hole: 1-5/8" (I measured depth of test port area using a new, unsharpended pencil with a flat tip)

Differnece between plug and sender: 5/16"
Difference between meaured depth of test port hole and sender: 11/16"
Actual amount of probe entering trans beyond the threaded section of trans: 9/16" (threaded section of trans is about 5/8" thick)

NOTE: I am not sure what is in the test port area that may be a moving part and could hit sender probe if installed.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
I just found this thread where the same sender as mine appears to have been used without and fittings to bring it back a little.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-write-up.html

Perhaps my sender, for a full sweep electric gauge, is shorter that those for the non-full sweep gauges. Can't believe a sending unit that would only enter trans 15/16", and only about 9/16" beyond test port threads, would hit anything.

Thoughts?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never done this before but I believe the sender should be solid brass. If it is solid couldn't you cut it a little shorter and take some emery or fine sand paper to polish it back up?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:23 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Crewcabber
I've never done this before but I believe the sender should be solid brass. If it is solid couldn't you cut it a little shorter and take some emery or fine sand paper to polish it back up?
I thought about that, but only briefly. I don't know what it is inside of probe or how it can affect sensing abilities if I cut / grind, so I did not mess with it. I installed it the way it is. Did you see the link in my last post. Guy used same type of sender as mine and appears to have put it in with no issues.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
Just seen it. That's a cool thread. Yeah I didn't know how far the wires go down for the probe. If it where for a mechanical I would tell you to do it without a blink of an eye

Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Wouldn't the contents of the capillary tube (MERCURY) spew out of the probe of the mechanical one if you cut it?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:00 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
There's gotta be someone here who knows the depth of the hole or what is directly behind test port hole?

Again, I measured 1-5/8" deep before I hit something. If there is nothing moving behind this hole I don't see a problem with a sender that is only 15/16" deep with the probe only 9/16" beyond the threads.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:01 PM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
The link in post #5 shows a sender installed (just like my sender) and appears to have been done with no issues.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:11 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Pull off the coil wire. Stick a crayon in the hole and hold it. Have someone crank the engine a few turns. If the end of the crayon gets eat up, OOPS! If not, you're good to go. Watch out for the squirting fluid.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Crewcabber
Posting Guru
I've never seen the senders with mercury in them. But it's been along time since I've messed with senders so that I don't know it would be good info to know.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
There's gotta be someone here who knows the depth of the hole or what is directly behind test port hole?
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Neither the E4OD nor the 4R100 have a wide open port. Both are fairly short openings. If your sender is much longer than 1/2" it will bottom out and potentially break off in the port.

why can't you use the short #2259 sending unit with your gauge SoCal?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:45 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Only mechanical gauges, not senders for electrical gauges.

Quick Reply: Max Trans temp sender length for E40D if installed at Test Port