1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Newbie! & 1st diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Vibrant93
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie! & 1st diesel.

Hey guys, just wanted to say hello. I've been lurking for a while now and really enjoy all that this site has to offer! I recently picked up a '95 regular cab long box that is just clicked 100k rounds. It's a MN truck but being 2wd it's never seen snow. She cleaned up well. Anyway, it's my 1st diesel and I'm pretty pumped to finally have something that will tow my race car with ease! I did the 6637 mod last week so that's in the books. Down pipe and exhaust to come along with a php Phoenix chip. Here's my question. I don't see much out there about doing a fpr spring on these older psd's. Is the spring behind the hex head cap on the drivers side of the fuel bowl? Can a guy use any of the springs diesel o rings offers? Thanks in advance for any responses. Here are a couple pictures of the rig.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vibrant93
She cleaned up well.
Wow, talk about your flair for understatement! That truck is an effing time capsule. And at 100,000, just broken in. Bumper flaps are a little over the top; doubly so with the aluminum flaps on the wheel wells. Maybe it's for the best that it's not a 4x4; that'll keep you from being tempted to take it out of mothballs in those MN winters.

Awesome find!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Yes sharp truck. You will want to check your fuel pressure befor you do the fpr shim. I dont think you will need it since it has low miles. You will not gain any extra hp by doing this.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
I agree with Gabe you probably dont need to shim the FPR due to such low miles.
Check it with a pressure gauge on the schrader valve. If it is low then you can shim the FPR spring with a BB (like a bb that is shot out of a bb gun).
If you are looking at the engine bay from the front of your truck look to the right hand side of the fuel bowl where the filter is located. There is a brass nut there (3/4 IIRC). Inside there is the spring. You simply place a BB behind it to help increase fuel pressure.

But the pressure only drops when the spring wears out from age/mileage, so I bet you'll be fine.

And welcome! And that is ONE CLEAN TRUCK! congrats!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Vibrant93
Freshman User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Wow, talk about your flair for understatement! That truck is an effing time capsule. And at 100,000, just broken in. Bumper flaps are a little over the top; doubly so with the aluminum flaps on the wheel wells. Maybe it's for the best that it's not a 4x4; that'll keep you from being tempted to take it out of mothballs in those MN winters.

Awesome find!

Good to know, thanks guys! I need to figure out how to multiple quote reply on here.

Yeah the bumper flaps just bolt onto my receiver hitch. I took my car to the track last weekend on an open trailer so I threw them on just for that little extra rock protection.

One last thing. I've noticed that this thing doesn't smoke what so ever, even under a loaded on ramp acceleration. I'm sure I'll take some heat for this comment but is a chip the only way to make it do so? Finally got my diesel, just looking to show it off every once in awhile

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE! awesome looking truck! Very cool that someone had the foresight to keep it off the salty roads. mad is right. That thing is a time capsel! I was fortiante to find a southern truck, but not with low miles. Finding any with as low of miles as yours is almost unheard of. But they are out there!!

Stick around here, this is a great bunch of guys and you will learn much. Welcome!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Vibrant93
Freshman User
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Welcome to FTE! awesome looking truck! Very cool that someone had the foresight to keep it off the salty roads. mad is right. That thing is a time capsel! I was fortiante to find a southern truck, but not with low miles. Finding any with as low of miles as yours is almost unheard of. But they are out there!!

Stick around here, this is a great bunch of guys and you will learn much. Welcome!
Thanks! Lots of knowledge on here indeed, can't wait to interact and hopefully some day be able to share a thing or two with a newcomer.

Guy I bought it from bought it new back in 95 and didn't use it much. His age got in the way and it was time for him to let it go. He was a neighbor of my moms at their lake place, she'd been trying to get me to look at it for weeks but I really had no interest. We were dead set on an older r.v. Once I did finally go look at it the rest was history I guess. I couldn't believe how clean it was.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Vibrant93
Good to know, thanks guys! I need to figure out how to multiple quote reply on here.

Yeah the bumper flaps just bolt onto my receiver hitch. I took my car to the track last weekend on an open trailer so I threw them on just for that little extra rock protection.

One last thing. I've noticed that this thing doesn't smoke what so ever, even under a loaded on ramp acceleration. I'm sure I'll take some heat for this comment but is a chip the only way to make it do so? Finally got my diesel, just looking to show it off every once in awhile
It is good that the truck doesn't roll black smoke. That means it is using the fuel efficently. Black smoke is wasted fuel, and gives the tree huggers more ammunition for even stricter air quality laws. Those laws are the reason the 7.3 isn't made any more. If you want it to smoke, do the Walmart bag mod. Wrap the air filter with a shopping bag from Walmart.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM
sean9049
Senior User
plastic bag is the best mod for your money...

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
To do multiple quotes you click that button just to the right of the quote button on everyone you want to quote.
You will notice it has a green plus. If you click it you have 'added' it to the list of people you will quote. It will change from a green plus to a red minus. If you click it again it will 'subtract' that post from the list you will quote.

You then click the actual quote button on the last person you want to quote and it will take you to the advanced posting page where you can type out responses to them all.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:36 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Awitte58
To do multiple quotes you click that button just to the right of the quote button on everyone you want to quote.
You will notice it has a green plus. If you click it you have 'added' it to the list of people you will quote. It will change from a green plus to a red minus. If you click it again it will 'subtract' that post from the list you will quote.

You then click the actual quote button on the last person you want to quote and it will take you to the advanced posting page where you can type out responses to them all.
Wow and I've been doing this the hard way all this time! lol

Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
To do multiple quotes you click that button just to the right of the quote button on everyone you want to quote. You will notice it has a green plus. If you click it you have 'added' it to the list of people you will quote. It will change from a green plus to a red minus. If you click it again it will 'subtract' that post from the list you will quote. You then click the actual quote button on the last person you want to quote and it will take you to the advanced posting page where you can type out responses to them all.
That's awesome. I just found out how to do it on the app.
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Wow and I've been doing this the hard way all this time! lol
you guy are genius

Old 05-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Vibrant93
Freshman User
Thanks Awitte58!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
you guy are genius
Yeah I know enough HTML code to be dangerous. Haha

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Vibrant93
Freshman User
Need that 5th post to get a signature so here we go! Sorry guys Long story longer... Had a big weekend in store this week but I broke the car last weekend so it didn't go as planned. Was going to be towing a 28' enclosed with my car in it had things gone as they were supposed too but since they didn't I ended up towing a 12' aluminum deal with a couple of quads instead. Wow, that was like towing a rag-doll around! I'm super impressed with this 7.3. The one and only thing that I dont like is the hard pedal input needed to hold a speed. Holy cow! They must have some crazy spring behind that pedal.

The cool part of the weekend was the attention the truck got at the track. I had quite a few come over to chat about the truck. A lot of 7.3 guys which was neat! Here's what I have learned. Down pipe/exhaust it, chip it, spring the regulator (insert smoke,) intercool it, give it the right turbo, and make sure it has injectors. Seems to run in par with everything I read on this forum so far so I can't wait!!!