1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel pump shot - looking at going to e-fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 AM
James Shook
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump shot - looking at going to e-fuel

Hey all this is my first post in here. I have read some on this forum and figured I could use some advice from you guys.
My 97 F350 7.3 is currently down due to a shot fuel pump - best as I can tell. I am not a mechanic, def not a diesel mechanic, but I think I am up to changing the fuel pump out.
I have heard about and been to told that it would be a good idea to go to an electric fuel pump. Espec since I would like to start doing some mods to my truck for fuel efficiency/power/kicks and they say this is a good place to start.
Anyone one here done their own e-fuel conversion? Dumb question, I am sure some of yall have - would you mind helping me out a little? I am doing some digging myself but my work schedule and current shared transportation doesnt offer me much screen time.
What I would really like to find would be a kit that is all-inclusive and has everything I need to switch. That may be dreaming but I have read some DIY e-fuel write ups where the owner fabricated parts and fittings etc. Unofrtunately I dont have the means or know-how to do that, even though I would like to.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Welcome to the forum! What makes you think the fuel pump is out? Have you checked fuel pressure? Is it leaking? Just making sure you dont have other problems. Some put together there own kit and some buy a pre made kit. Just depends whether you have the time and resources. I got my kit from Irate diesel. It was a complet and good quialty kit. There are others out there too. Bar none diesel is a common one around here. Stick around, theres good people here.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Make sure there's no fuel pressure when cranking. There a schreader valve on the side of the fuel bowl to check this out. DIY e-fuels not all that hard to do but there is some fab work and a bit of time spent on assembling it.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Yeah listen to what these guys said. Check the schrader valve with a pressure gauge (just a cheap old tire gauge) to see if pressure is being made.
These trucks have a factory mechanical pump. It resides in the valley below the fuel bowl and is a mechanical system that 'sucks' fuel from the tank to the engine.
Unlike most other systems that uses a fuel pump to 'push' fuel from the tank to the engine.
The pumps are pretty reliable and typically you have some other issue. That doesn't mean that the pump couldnt be bad.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
That being said the factory fuel bowl/fuel system has a lot of places prone to leak and electric fuel conversion helps remove that as well as smooth out idle and in some cases increase fuel mileage.
Here's a fuel threads on the subject.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-compelte.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gs-e-fuel.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onversion.html

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 PM
James Shook
New User
Yes - I have checked the fuel pressure. The pump is working but I only got around 10 psi. I rented a test kit, didnt know you could use a tire gauge!
I noticed my fuel mileage dropping off a little while back, but I blamed the cold weather for it. I also just last week noticed I was leaking a little fuel from under the hood.
I made a mental note to check it but then Saturday it broke down on me headed home from work. Just acted like it ran out of fuel. Cranked but nothing.
So now it is still cranking and even trying to catch occasionally and puffing a little white smoke. I know the pump is working at least some because I emptied the fuel bowl where the filter is and it has filled back up.
Man, those kits to go to efuel are not cheap! WHat kind of improvements have yall seen who have done the e fuel conversion? Also, do you all still have a pre-heater?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Just like Alex said, smother idle, quicker starts, and the big thing is getting rid of all the prone fuel leaks. And i havent heard of anyone on here useing a fuel heater with e fuel. It really isnt needed. Even with the stock system most un plug the heater from the bowl. They are known to short out blow a fuse and make the truck shut off.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
The fuel heater from the stock setup becomes a power sorce for your e-fuel setup, but no it will not be used as a fuel heater.
Don't buy a kit! Put one together yourself! After a little bit of reading you'll realize how simple it is.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen someone use the heater on another forum. I think it was on psn. It went into the prefilter and he opened his under hood fuse panel to wire in the ignition power and relay

Old 05-23-2014, 02:27 PM
96ford250
Elder User
I cut the plug off for the fuel heater and ran that wire down to my fuel pump works fine. Easiest way to do it in my opinion.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:03 AM
James Shook
New User
OK - so if I disconnect the heater wire I can use it to power the inline fuel pump? Nice, I was wondering how I would wire that in...
If I do that what do yall think about me leaving the fuel filter bowl in place for now until I have more time/disposable income available? Would that work too? I know I can mount the fuel pump, and I can get a new one for not much more than my mechanical pump will cost to replace. Then I would just have to plug the hole where the mechanical pump attached to the motor. And I could worry about the filter and pressure module (?) later..
I just might go that route if it would work. Started digging into it today, havent gotten anything out yet but got the bowl loose. Still disconnecting it, lines and wires etc. I did find a wire that was unplugged. Someone told me it is the water sensor wire. Would that being unplugged cause the problems I am having? (no start but still cranking with some white smoke)